While my ukulele gently weeps...

I have learnt to play Jake's version of ...Gently Weeps and I think I did a pretty passable job! This video isn't a perfect take, but the thing I'm more bothered by is my right hand. Jake seems to pull on every string so softly, I can't seem to get it to sound... well, gentle in places. Any advice, rather than strumming I try plucking lightly all the strings together.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GNAXuY9-rjA

I am really impressed! Best cover of Jake's version I have seen! Did you use Dominators tabs?

That's marvelous! It's nice to see and hear a young person who obviously has worked hard to achieve a high level of perfection in his playing. Music can be a great teacher about life in general. Just keep strumming!

Very, very impressive! How old are you? Your quest to achieve the sound that Jake does could simply be your instrument. I noticed you were playing a Kala. I teach instrumental/classroom music in an arts magnet school and keep a Kala Tenor in my room. I also have a Kamaka Tenor. The Kala is nice but it's like night and day compared to the other tenor. I work so much harder on the Kala than I do on my Kamaka. Everything sounds and feels so much different on the Kamaka. When you are financially able to purchase one of the high end brands you will notice how much easier it is. Start saving your $.
I've been fingerpicking for little over a year and hope to play this version someday. I found a version that is a little less taxing and is in G Minor that I've learned. It's a nice version for someone who is new to playing in this style. It's available on ukulelehunt.com and was arranged by someone who goes by the name Woodshed. It's listed as a barebones version. I've added a few things to my version as I became comfortable with it. It's a good training wheels version.
Once again, congratulations to the young man playing Jake's arrangement. Jake would be very impressed!

This is your first post???? Where have you been hiding? Please share some more and thanks for sharing this:rulez:. Very nice.

Yes, solid stuff.

Check out the video of Chang Hyun on youtube playing a cover of Jake's version. His channel is pil im. He appears to be about 8 in the video I watched.
The future of the ukulele seems to be in good hands with these two young men.

Wow, very, very nicely done.

That was fantastic HurryMrHurry! The best cover I have seen so far! Well done!

I am not an expert, but do microphones and volume levels you get from your uke make a big difference on your ability to get those gentle sounds? I would think Jakes very nice ukes and the way he is plugged into sound systems would make a big difference.

Top Bottom