Loop station/pedal advice?

Helms

Reaction score
Hi!

I'm considering buying a Loop station/pedal since I recently moved to a new town and don't know anyone who plays my kind of music.

I'm not at all familiar with loop techniques, but it certainly looks like it could open some doors and improve so many aspects of playing the uke when you got no one else to play with but yourself!

Does anyone have any recommendation for a loop station/pedal?
I have only rarely used pedals previously, so I'd prefer something that's easy to use for a newcomer to pedals in general :)

And what is your experience with looping? When do you use it and has it helped you in any special way?

Thanks!

Do you happen to have an iPad or iPhone? If so, I'd recommend getting an audio interface - about $100 in U.S. but not sure about Europe - and a looper app like Loopy HD. Pretty easy to get started on and cheaper than any pedal option I'm aware of.

I have a Boss RC-2 pedal (discontinued I think) and I have to say that the single pedal form factor is not that easy to get used to. The one pedal has to do everything - start , stop, undo, overdub, etc. and it's easy to get lost on what "mode" you're in. Of course it is a lot cheaper than the two or three pedal units which can get rather pricy.

I have only used looping occasionally and not with the ukulele yet. I do more multitrack recording than live looping and the iPad/iPhone is great for that as well.

Hi!

I'm considering buying a Loop station/pedal since I recently moved to a new town and don't know anyone who plays my kind of music.

I'm not at all familiar with loop techniques, but it certainly looks like it could open some doors and improve so many aspects of playing the uke when you got no one else to play with but yourself!

Does anyone have any recommendation for a loop station/pedal?
I have only rarely used pedals previously, so I'd prefer something that's easy to use for a newcomer to pedals in general :)

And what is your experience with looping? When do you use it and has it helped you in any special way?

Thanks!

You have one of the foremost electronics effects companies right in your back yard. TC Electronics makes a Ditto Looper. Simple, and gets rave reviews.

http://www.tcelectronic.com/ditto-looper/

TC Electronics makes a Ditto Looper.
Interesting option. Even simpler than the Boss pedals which also include rhythms and other features, but looking at the bottom of that page, I think it would have the same characteristics. Press once, press twice, press and hold - sounds simple but I found it kinda "fiddly". Maybe it's just a matter of practice, but I found it easy to Undo when I wanted to Overdub (or whatever).

Thanks everyone! Some great suggestions, and Im just looking through the links right now!

Do you happen to have an iPad or iPhone? If so, I'd recommend getting an audio interface - about $100 in U.S. but not sure about Europe - and a looper app like Loopy HD. Pretty easy to get started on and cheaper than any pedal option I'm aware of.

I have a Boss RC-2 pedal (discontinued I think) and I have to say that the single pedal form factor is not that easy to get used to. The one pedal has to do everything - start , stop, undo, overdub, etc. and it's easy to get lost on what "mode" you're in. Of course it is a lot cheaper than the two or three pedal units which can get rather pricy.

I have only used looping occasionally and not with the ukulele yet. I do more multitrack recording than live looping and the iPad/iPhone is great for that as well.

Great idea! Didn't even consider using an iPad. It would probably be a cheaper and perhaps easier way to get acostumed to looping.
You mention an audio interface - what is that? A cable to connect the instrument with the iPad?
My worries, using an iPad is that I'd have to press start and stop with my fingers and thus preventing me from playing for a short while. How do you get around that issue?

You mention an audio interface - what is that? A cable to connect the instrument with the iPad?
My worries, using an iPad is that I'd have to press start and stop with my fingers and thus preventing me from playing for a short while. How do you get around that issue?
Yes, the are several guitar interfaces like Apogee Jam, iRig Pro, Line 6, and others that have a 1/4" socket on one end and an iPad cable on the other. Make sure you get one with the right connection for your device (30 pin vs Lightning).

Finger operation is one of the cons to this approach but there are some Bluetooth foot pedals available. I haven't used one of those but if you Google "Loopy HD foot pedal" I'm sure something will come up.

Yes, the are several guitar interfaces like Apogee Jam, iRig Pro, Line 6, and others that have a 1/4" socket on one end and an iPad cable on the other. Make sure you get one with the right connection for your device (30 pin vs Lightning).

Finger operation is one of the cons to this approach but there are some Bluetooth foot pedals available. I haven't used one of those but if you Google "Loopy HD foot pedal" I'm sure something will come up.

Thanks for your help!
Just downloaded Loopy HD (50% sale at the moment!) and put an offer on a used audio interface to use for ipad costing only 25$. Overall a very cheap way tp get introduced to looping! Can't wait to get started!

Sounds good! Let us know how it works out. If that offer falls through, look for an original iRig interface the connects through the headphone socket. It's not as good quality for recording because it is a little noisier and can have some crosstalk with the headphone output but it should be dirt cheap now if you can find one.

Top Bottom