Radius Neck. Is it Snake Oil?

I read up about the topic of Flat vs Radiused fretboards in some guitar forums, and it seems to me that the dominant opinion is that most guitarists actually prefer flat fretboards for slicker soloing and shredding.

Radiused fretboards seem to help a bit with barre chords, but at the cost of fingerpicking dexterity.

The real issue from a guitar perspective is that bending strings will "choke out" on a cylindrically radiused fret board. The ultimate solution is a conically (compound) radiused board.

This video seems to provide some info on the matter:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6phVl9PTMMc

It seems flat fretboards make it easier to fingerpick with precision, whereas radius fretboards make it easier to play chords.

I prefer playing instrumental pieces on the uke like classical guitar, so I prefer flat fretboards.

I have two ukes with radiused fretboards and I honestly can't tell the difference. Wouldn't pay extra for it.

I think, from a little experience and what I've been reading, for the advanced player the difference would be minimal if any. For the beginner who is struggling with barre chords it could be helpful. And also I think it might be beneficial for certain finger shapes or maybe even finger strength but I'm just speculating here. I have quite a few ukes and except for one I find that my radiused fretboards are the easiest to play cleanly. I mostly strum and I'm very much a beginner.

You forgot to mention you have fingers like "ball park franks". :shaka:

I was waiting for you to chime in. You have always said it takes pressure off your wrists and notice it when you play my flat fretboarded ukes. As you and Chuck said it depends on the person.

Not all of us have little girl fingers like you there, neighbour.

You liked my Pono Pro Classic with radius neck that your ran out and got yourself one as well.

DuD is right. Removes pressure on my wrists. Works for me and I won't look at a Uke without it.

Might even get a Kanile'a and slap a radius neck on it.

I think, from a little experience and what I've been reading, for the advanced player the difference would be minimal if any. For the beginner who is struggling with barre chords it could be helpful. And also I think it might be beneficial for certain finger shapes or maybe even finger strength but I'm just speculating here. I have quite a few ukes and except for one I find that my radiused fretboards are the easiest to play cleanly. I mostly strum and I'm very much a beginner.

I agree with you and your comments.

As a newbie playing jazz barre chords, it is much easier for me to play cleanly with a radius fret board.

The benefit of a radiuses fretboard is to increase the ease of fretting and playability, especially when doing barr chords.

The radius starts to approximate the natural curve of your barring finger.
Look at your index finger in a relaxed natural state. It's curved. It is not straight.

It take more finger muscle to straighten your finger than to leave it in the relaxed state.
Reflect on how your hands effort feels in a relaxed state for five minutes, then hold all of your fingers straight for five minutes.
Which one take more effort?
Playa n instrument with a flat fingerboard for 30 minutes straight....than after your hand has recuperated play one with an appropriate radius fingerboard for 30 minutes. You will notice the difference.

In our store we sell more non radiused fingerboard ukuleles but we do get request for them. A person with strength loss in their hand I would think would get the most benefit. Ultimately I would say it's an individual's preference.

Like most things in the world, I think it comes down to personal preference. The wider the fretboard is and the harder the strings are, the more the player will benefit from the radius. Try playing a bass without plenty of radius and you will know what I mean. Also, if a player has small hands, or is older and has a harder time hitting certain chords, radius will help.

We recently started adding a 12" radius to our fretboards and we have had a very positive response from our customers. I think that one benefit of the radius is that it allows the builder to set up the ukulele better. Since switching over to a radius fretboard we have noticed that we rarely have fret buzz issues. I am not sure why exactly, but it is nice. This has allowed us to set our string action lower without running into problems. Almost every customer comments about how much like like the setup job.

Check out the comments on our webpage. Several customers mention how much they enjoy the radius and the setup of our ukuleles:

http://www.cocoboloukuleles.com/index.php/2014-05-10-08-22-16/happy-customers

Everyone has different size hands and fingers, also the thickness of the neck and width and the action(string height) are main factors too...
Snake oil? depends on your preference and outlook.....

I want my next uke to have a radiused fret board. I'm fed up with fret buzzing....ugh!

Like most things in the world, I think it comes down to personal preference. The wider the fretboard is and the harder the strings are, the more the player will benefit from the radius. Try playing a bass without plenty of radius and you will know what I mean. Also, if a player has small hands, or is older and has a harder time hitting certain chords, radius will help.

We recently started adding a 12" radius to our fretboards and we have had a very positive response from our customers. I think that one benefit of the radius is that it allows the builder to set up the ukulele better. Since switching over to a radius fretboard we have noticed that we rarely have fret buzz issues. I am not sure why exactly, but it is nice. This has allowed us to set our string action lower without running into problems. Almost every customer comments about how much like like the setup job.

Check out the comments on our webpage. Several customers mention how much they enjoy the radius and the setup of our ukuleles:

http://www.cocoboloukuleles.com/index.php/2014-05-10-08-22-16/happy-customers

Add me to this list. My Cocobolo is a really easy player. Good setup and nice action. The radiused fretboard I is not snake oil. My hands are not aging well. I need every edge I can get.

Add me to this list. My Cocobolo is a really easy player. Good setup and nice action. The radiused fretboard I is not snake oil. My hands are not aging well. I need every edge I can get.

Looking forward to their Tenor with radius fretboard.

If you use a capo at all, radius fretboard is the last thing you need.

I do occasionally and look likely to do so more in the future.

Of course, a flat fretboard is simply one with an infinite radius ;)

I have radius on all my ukes and never had a problem using a capo. Not sure where all the fuss about raduius vs non. If ya need to shred and are used to a radius, there'll be no problem and visa versa.

I have radius on all my ukes and never had a problem using a capo. Not sure where all the fuss about raduius vs non. If ya need to shred and are used to a radius, there'll be no problem and visa versa.

I've been checking capos and it seems that there are some that will work with radius necks and some that won't. My memories are from the days many years ago when I was trying to learn guitar and back then capos would only work with flat necks.

Otherwise I agree with you. What's the fuss?

I've been checking capos and it seems that there are some that will work with radius necks and some that won't. My memories are from the days many years ago when I was trying to learn guitar and back then capos would only work with flat necks.

Otherwise I agree with you. What's the fuss?

Quite the opposite with guitars-- since radiused fretboards are more common, a large percentage of guitar capos are built with a slight curve to address the radius. My favorite guitar has a flat neck, and I need to use a really old-school capo on it to get good results.

Top Bottom