Radius Neck. Is it Snake Oil?

katysax

UU VIP
UU VIP
Reaction score
Radius necks are currently a growing trend in ukulele building. I've got ukes with them and without, and I've come to the conclusion that a radius neck on a uke is of minimal value, if not a downright negative.

A radius neck on a guitar, especially a steel string guitar is an improvement. Steel strings take more pressure to fret and guitar necks are wider.

My Moore Bettah doesn't have a radius fretboard and it is as easy to fret and play as any ukes I've ever played. My Mya Moe and Collings ukes have a radius fretboard. I really have to be careful on those ukes not to have my finger slide off the edge of the fretboard and taking the string with it. A ukulele neck is much narrower than a guitar fretboard and nylon strings don't require as much force.

It seems to me that the added value of a radius fretboard is dubious on a ukulele. I would neither choose a uke nor shy away from a uke because of a radius fretboard.

It reminds me of when zero frets were popular. Both of my Kawikas have a zero fret. I find it to be a minor annoyance. I don't know if zero frets were ever common on ukes, but it was definitely a fad that came and went on guitar.

The only instrument I have owned with a radius fretboard was a mandolin which also had a zero fret. It seemed easier to make barre chords with the radius fretboard on the mandolin. Sadly that mandolin died before its time. I have no opinion on the zero fret. Instruments that I have owned with and without zero frets seemed fine to me.

I have some with the radius, and some without. I can't tell the difference, but I know some people say the radius makes a tremendous difference.

A fiddle neck is a lot narrower than most uke necks. If it had a flat neck, instead of a radiused fretboard, it would really suck. So I don't think neck width is the only criteria. I think it's more "each to his/her own". I'd love to try a uke with a radiused fretboard. So, no, I doubt if they are overrated. A MB uke is probably gonna be easier to play than just about any uke, no matter what the fretboard shape is.

No difference. it is snake oil.

Now that I think about it - what is the supposed advantage, anyway?

I'd like to try one and see what it feels like. So far, I haven't laid hands on one.

A fiddle neck is a lot narrower than most uke necks. If it had a flat neck, instead of a radiused fretboard, it would really suck. So I don't think neck width is the only criteria. I think it's more "each to his/her own". I'd love to try a uke with a radiused fretboard. So, no, I doubt if they are overrated. A MB uke is probably gonna be easier to play than just about any uke, no matter what the fretboard shape is.

If a violin had a flat fingerboard, you wouldn't be able to bow the D or A string without touching the two outer strings. Bowed string instrument have to have a radius fingerboard, not so with a plucked string instrument.

I wouldn't call radiused fretboards or zero frets fads by any means. It all comes down to preference and how you, personally, use the instrument.

One may not prefer a radiused fretboard, but to say that they are useless to every player out there is a bit ludicrous, don't you think?

It's not snake oil at all. I can tell bigtime if it's radius or not. I much prefer radius; so much so I don't buy flatboards anymore. I have some arthritis and over use issues with the hands. A slight radius makes all the difference in the world for me; esp. barring up the neck.

Blackbear, you are so right. It might make the stand up bass a little harder to pluck, but it would be impossible to bow. I just can't see how it would be snake oil on a uke. I know several people with arthritis that it might help. Lots better than quitting, and lamenting.....

For playability I think people like a radiused fretboard or not based on their hand shape and how they hold the uke. I also think a radiused fretboard looks more elegant. Overall though it's not a big factor for me, although if I bought a custom uke I'd get a radiused fretboard if available.

Yes when you have arthritis or break a finger or two on your fretting hand you will likely feel a positive difference playing a radiused neck. I have three and even on the 16" scale uke it feels better and it's easier to make chord shapes to me over a flat neck. It's not a huge deal but it's a little bit that helps. I'll be selling some of the flat necks, and keeping the three with the radius.

Radius necks are currently a growing trend in ukulele building. I've got ukes with them and without, and I've come to the conclusion that a radius neck on a uke is of minimal value, if not a downright negative.

A radius neck on a guitar, especially a steel string guitar is an improvement. Steel strings take more pressure to fret and guitar necks are wider.

My Moore Bettah doesn't have a radius fretboard and it is as easy to fret and play as any ukes I've ever played. My Mya Moe and Collings ukes have a radius fretboard. I really have to be careful on those ukes not to have my finger slide off the edge of the fretboard and taking the string with it. A ukulele neck is much narrower than a guitar fretboard and nylon strings don't require as much force.

It seems to me that the added value of a radius fretboard is dubious on a ukulele. I would neither choose a uke nor shy away from a uke because of a radius fretboard.

It reminds me of when zero frets were popular. Both of my Kawikas have a zero fret. I find it to be a minor annoyance. I don't know if zero frets were ever common on ukes, but it was definitely a fad that came and went on guitar.

You and I are similar in that I prefer not to have a radius and no zero fret.

One woman's floor is another man's ceiling ...

Clearly, some of use don't notice a difference twixt a radiused fretboard and a flat one -- I'm one. But it seems just as clear that some of us do, and if you have a medical malady that the radius alleviates, by all means take advantage of it. We all know our own needs and wants best, no?

I agree and that's the reason I've stopped building with radiused fretboards. I built an uke for myself with a radiused fretboard a couple of years ago and I still prefer the flat board ukes I have. I personally see no advantage. For good playability, proper setup is more important than the shape of the fretboard.

I wouldn't call radiused fretboards or zero frets fads by any means. It all comes down to preference and how you, personally, use the instrument.

One may not prefer a radiused fretboard, but to say that they are useless to every player out there is a bit ludicrous, don't you think?

+1. Just because the OP - and others in this thread - cannot tell a difference or prefer something else does not make it snake oil.

The OP is comparing a Moore Bettah, Mya Moe and Collings; all instruments that have high standards of quality and excellence in building as well as the final set up. They will ALL play extremely well, regardless of the radius on the fretboard, but to use that as a rationale for calling something "snake oil" is a bit short sided.

It's always interesting when some will make blanket statements for all based on their preferences. I have a couple of ukes with a radius, and now prefer them to flat. By no means does that mean I won't buy, or can't play a flat fret uke. Just a personal preference now, but i do find that I seem to have a little easier time over all with chord shapes and barres. It's most noticeable if I have been playing one or the other more frequently or for a longer period of time than the other.

They aren't better or worse, but anything that makes playing easier or more fun for yourself, is all that matters.

I've got ukuleles and mandolins both flat and radius. They all play as well as the musician who plays them.

Builders do different things for their own reasons. Sometimes it's for acoustics and sometimes for aesthetics, and all of that is okay. I admit to enjoy the radiused neck for no good reason why. I can postulate all day long, but in the end it's just the feel with the particular instrument.

All that said, it just goes back to what's right for that particular instrument. Example: I've got two really neat mandolins, one with a radiused neck and built to be a unique and special instrument - the radiused neck just is "right" with this one. The other mandolin (flat neck) was designed to be a piece of folk art and throwback to when there were no store-bought instruments and folk made their own - on this one a radiused neck would be totally out of place. One any given day I'll pick up either one and enjoy them for what they are.

The radiused neck is a difference, just like how strings attach to the instrument, where the sound hole(s) is(are), how the resonator is shaped, what the scale length is, what kind of wood (or other material) is used and where, and every other factor involved in instrument-making. Not snake oil, but a difference to the feel of the instrument which certain musicians happen to like for whatever personal reasons and the builder believes is "right" for his/her creation.

Top Bottom