oscar schmidt vs gretsch

dfreeman

Reaction score
I'm a newbie learning on a Kala shark soprano and thinking about a tenor. I want to compare the OS ou6lce to a gretsch 9121 ace. Your opinions would be appreciated! Thanks!

Both good quality ukes, but the choice is definitely the Gretsch, for two reasons:

1. Gretsch has a solid mahogany top. I have personally owned the same uke - it projects really well. The best ukulele in this price range.
The Oscar Schmidt is a laminate wood instrument.

2. Gretsch has a higher quality electronics system (Fishman with built-in tuner), whereas the Oscar Schmidt has a cheaper, generic system (UK-2000).

There's your answer from someone who knows what he's talking about. That's one good reason why I really love this Forum!

glad I found this forum!

Thanks again for the advice! One more ?. Did you have to do anything to your gretsch other than strings out of the box?

Just tune it up and play! You wont even need a separate tuner - just press the "tuner" button on the onboard panel and the notes will blink up on the screen

I like both very much. I personally like the sound of the Gretsch ukuleles better in general, but have twice chosen Oscar Schmidt over them because the Gretsch necks are too bulky for me. And, a good Oscar Schmidt can be very good indeed.

Top Bottom