Who here plays vintage ukuleles?

As you can see from my signature, I have a mix of old and new(er);ukuleles.

I love them all, and truth be told, most of my playing time is spent on the Godin, the National, and the Koaloha. But since most of my ukes are always accessible I play the vintage ukes regularly. Especially the Gibson soprano and the Harmony concert.

Oh yes....I have a 1935 Kamaka pineapple that I play.

pre-war martins and 21st century K-Brands for me!

I love my vintage Martins.

1952 Style 0 (Dawn)
1920 Style 1 (Nicky)
1950-ish Style 2 (Calie)
1930-ish 5K (Uncle Teddy)
1957 Martin Tenor (Parker)

I have a 1920's May Bel at Jake's right now sitting in the queue to get fixed up.

My keepers are mostly vintage. I've got a few modern Martins (a 2 and the OXK) and a Kamaka pineapple and Baritone. Most everything else is vintage. And I'm down to the vintage instruments I really care about: the '48 Martin 0 and the Redhead, as well as the Favillaand Martin Barrys.

If I'd started building ukes when I started building guitars and basses, they would be vintage by now! Shoulda, woulda, coulda!

Can i pop in a silly question. I have been looking at vintage ukulele's and both on ebay and youtube videos i see cracks. Cracks repaired and not repaired both on Koa and mahogany ukulele's. Why is this?

I am a guitarist so i'm not new to old stringed instruments eg, Martins. I can't recall cracks on them ever. Thanks!

Try being a guitar repairman; you'll see lots of cracks on Martins. I've got a couple in my shop right now; an older but not super vintage 000-18 with the classic pickguard crack from a shrinking pickguard and a newer 000 that has a top crack from living in super dry conditions. We fix 'em, they go back to sounding fine.

Ukes tend to be built much lighter than guitars, and a lot (most?) of the vintage Hawaiian ones were made in a much more humid climate than they wind up in. Hence shrinkage and crackage. We fix 'em, they (mostly) go back to sounding fine.

Take a look at some real vintage violins someday. They often crack. They fix 'em, and they go back to sounding glorious.

Try being a guitar repairman; you'll see lots of cracks on Martins. I've got a couple in my shop right now; an older but not super vintage 000-18 with the classic pickguard crack from a shrinking pickguard and a newer 000 that has a top crack from living in super dry conditions. We fix 'em, they go back to sounding fine.

Ukes tend to be built much lighter than guitars, and a lot (most?) of the vintage Hawaiian ones were made in a much more humid climate than they wind up in. Hence shrinkage and crackage. We fix 'em, they (mostly) go back to sounding fine.

Take a look at some real vintage violins someday. They often crack. They fix 'em, and they go back to sounding glorious.

Thanks. It was a couple of Martins and Gibsons i saw. A vintage Martin is what i would like one day. Love the tone.

Can i pop in a silly question. I have been looking at vintage ukulele's and both on ebay and youtube videos i see cracks. Cracks repaired and not repaired both on Koa and mahogany ukulele's. Why is this?

I am a guitarist so i'm not new to old stringed instruments eg, Martins. I can't recall cracks on them ever. Thanks!

They are really common, for so many reasons. Sometimes they dry out, not enough humidity. Or too much string tension. Or damage. Not really a big issue when fixed properly.

They are really common, for so many reasons. Sometimes they dry out, not enough humidity. Or too much string tension. Or damage. Not really a big issue when fixed properly.

Thanks. I have a vintage Martin UAS also modern Martin. General UAS. :p

I do! I'm just joined today. I play my 1890-1910 Favilla soprano, a 1930s Slingerland 024 banjolele all the time and will play my "new 1920? Favilla soprano now that I reglued the bridge. I'm waiting on 4 Harmony tuners I won on ebay yesterday and will get my blonde Harmony(1950s/1960s?) plunking soon after I replace a missing one.

I do! I'm just joined today. I play my 1890-1910 Favilla soprano, a 1930s Slingerland 024 banjolele all the time and will play my "new 1920? Favilla soprano now that I reglued the bridge. I'm waiting on 4 Harmony tuners I won on ebay yesterday and will get my blonde Harmony(1950s/1960s?) plunking soon after I replace a missing one.

Welcome to UU, KC. How do you like that early Favilla?

For me, my Bruko isn't quite vintage yet, but my Airline Bari is. It needed some work, but man does it sound great now.

I just added a vintage uke-a-zoid to my stable. It's 1920's-era, no name visible (but maybe it's a Regal) and it has 10 steel strings. Yes, it's a tiple. It joins my Varsity banjo-uke of the same era. Everything else I have that resembles a 'uke is newer, but that may change in the next few weeks.

Top Bottom