Warren Buffett's amazing ukulele-based recovery plan

seeso

Super Duper Moderator (Retired)
Reaction score

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZXWxKlQwReg

As one of the most successful investors in world, Warren Buffett inspires the kind of giddy fan devotion that is usually reserved for Zach Efron or the Jonas Brothers. Even people who only have the slightest idea about what Berkshire Hathaway does know that Buffett still lives in the same house that he bought in 1958, that he pays less in taxes than his secretary, and that he has pledged to give most of his fortune to charities.

But did you know about this?

Less well-known among the famed businessman's numerous talents is his skill as a ukulele player. He has played it in concert, and has even tutored Bill Gates on the finer points of the instrument. Among uke fans, he is somewhat famous, having inspired the beautiful "Dairy Queen Ukulele"; for a while, there was even a rumor that he was scheduled to strum at Barack Obama's inauguration.

Given his fame in the Uke demimonde, it should not be surprising that ukulele-slinging performance artist Robert Greenawalt and director David Barratt seem to have fixated on him. On December 7, 2008, the two staged For the Benefit of Mr. Buffett, a 14-hour concert in which they, joined by an army of guest musicians, performed and recorded ukulele-accompanied versions of the entire 184-song Beatles catalog.

Greenawalt and Barratt then stuffed the proceeds from the concert into a brown paper bag, which they subsequently presented to Mr. Buffett. In one of the most hilarious interviews ever, Buffett discusses his love of the ukulele, his opinions about the future of capitalism, and how the ukulele might just help us strum our way to a stronger economy!

Roger and Dave are Performance philanthropists who write songs, create installations, make visual art, write books, produce records, organize performances, produce films, re-create historical events and share a weakness for beauty.

In the final part of their series Roger and Dave conduct an exclusive interview with the richest man in the world and give him literally HUNDREDS of Dollars raised from the Dec 7th Concert.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZXWxKlQwReg

Good find! You'd almost start to like the guy, if not for the unpleasant reality that he has more money than me... still living in his first house, how about his uke? Would it be a cheapie, a mid-priced decent instrument, a good island-made uke, or something custom??? Probably not the last if he is consequent about his lifestyle.

Best quote ripped out of context on a random discussion board: "I will go out and give them a lesson" with regard to the girls he will give a uke.

I see. That is a category I totally forgot in my ponderings. Very fitting indeed, interesting that it's a tenor(?) though. With the intro article you quote, I would have thought different but according to the internets he is a collector as well. I guess the trick is to pay little taxes so you can invest in vintage ukuleles. Hmmm... nice concept.

Cool video. I believe Warren has a Dairy Queen uke made by Dave Talsma. And appearantly, some graduate students of Texas A&M commissioned this ukulele by Mike DaSilva for him as well.

Thanks

Hey guys - thanks for the mention.

You may also enjoy our latest project - The Beatles Complete on Ukulele where we will

A) Record & perform on ukulele all 185 original compositions by The Beatles with 185 guest artists.

B) Write essays to coincide with each release.

C) Make available for download one new recording and essay every Tuesday for 185 weeks, beginning January 20, 2009 (Inauguration Day) and climaxing July 24, 2012 (The eve of the London Olympics).

TO DOWNLOAD AND LISTEN TO ALL TRACKS CLICK HERE

Top Bottom