It's new uke time for me.......what to buy next?

ukulele64

Reaction score
I am in the market for a new professional grade tenor ukulele and am seeking help and opinions. Especially, if you have experience with the following brands:

Compass Rose
Ko'olau
Collings
DaSilva
William King (if I can find one)

Here's the basic lowdown of features I am seeking
Spruce (Adirondack, preferably) or Redwood top
1 7/8"- 1 1/2" at nut
Cutaway
Pickup....not sure what system, yet. That will depend on the build.
I am flexible on the back and side wood. Something medium to dense...but, maybe, koa too.

Please fire away and share any ideas, comparisons, experiences you have on this. Thanks in advance!

Last edited:
From your list, I'd Looooooove to be able to share my exeriences with them, but alas, I can't. I did see and play a DaSilva basic all solid mahogany model..........amazing value. Good luck

I wish I had personal experience with those, but alas, do not. I would opt for the Ko'olau on that list though - they are making beautiful ukes that sound wonderful. Good luck with whichever one you choose. :)

I am in the market for a new professional grade tenor ukulele and am seeking help and opinions. Especially, if you have experience with the following brands:

Compass Rose
Ko'olau
Collings
DaSilva
William King (if I can find one)

Here's the basic lowdown of features I am seeking
Spruce (Adirondack, preferably) or Redwood top
1 7/8"- 1 1/2" at nut
Cutaway
Pickup....not sure what system, yet. That will depend on the build.
I am flexible on the back and side wood. Something medium to dense...but, maybe, koa too.

Please fire away and share any ideas, comparisons, experiences you have on this. Thanks in advance!

Great choices, but what aspects are important to you? Do you want a brighter or warmer sound? Thick or thin neck? Radius or flat fret board?

Just tell Hodge to pick something from his cache and send the bill. Done.

Great choices, but what aspects are important to you? Do you want a brighter or warmer sound? Thick or thin neck? Radius or flat fret board?

Thanks for the feedback, UU rules!

Doc J, I am wanting a bit brighter sound than my myrtle Mya-Moe and am thinking flat fretboard. I guess I should've mentioned that I have been ruined by getting to play James Hill's re-entrant tuned DaSilva for a good 30 minutes or so. The brightness, clarity and strength of the fundamental tone was so overwhelming. Adirondack spruce seems to have that ability somehow. Neck wise, about average. Intonation and sustain are big, along with a good pickup for the chosen instrument. I got to play a couple of Compass Rose ukes and really enjoyed their balance and even tone everywhere on the fretboard.

Doc J, I am wanting a bit brighter sound than my myrtle Mya-Moe and am thinking flat fretboard. I guess I should've mentioned that I have been ruined by getting to play James Hill's re-entrant tuned DaSilva for a good 30 minutes or so. The brightness, clarity and strength of the fundamental tone was so overwhelming. Adirondack spruce seems to have that ability somehow. Neck wise, about average. Intonation and sustain are big, along with a good pickup for the chosen instrument. I got to play a couple of Compass Rose ukes and really enjoyed their balance and even tone everywhere on the fretboard.

Wow brighter than a Mya Moe....
I guess a Collings.....

You mentioned a cutaway and possibly a redwood top, but I don't think I've ever seen a Collings with either of those...

Sounds like you really want a DaSilva. I've played a great sounding, bright Ko'olau that probably would work just as well. But, you really should visit Toni Maloon of Anakoneke Ukes. She studied how to build ukes with Mike DaSilva and I think builds ukes much like what you're looking for.

Is this the sound you're looking for?

http://vimeo.com/60214456

Last edited:
Thanks for the wise words. I just met Toni and her daughter Amy at the Wine Country fest. I will consider Anakoneke.

And, yes, a James Hill model DaSilva would be great, but, unlikely as my next step. The Ko'olau you posted sounds great and you nailed the sound I am looking for. Do you own this ukulele? Probably spruce and a hardwood back and sides will be what I end up with.

The myrtle May-Moe that is my main uke is very balanced and strong in the mid range. I'd like something that sings a bit more in the higher frequencies.

Thanks for the wise words. I just met Toni and her daughter Amy at the Wine Country fest. I will consider Anakoneke.

And, yes, a James Hill model DaSilva would be great, but, unlikely as my next step. The Ko'olau you posted sounds great and you nailed the sound I am looking for. Do you own this ukulele?

Yes, I was fortunate to get that particular Ko'olau. But all of Noa's ukes sound great.

BTW Kevin, I really enjoy your music. I've got to get your "resolUKEtion" album.

Last edited:
Thanks a bunch for the info and kind words. Please let me know if you have any problem obtaining resolUKEtion.
If you ever think of selling that Ko'olau, please let me know!!!

I see that so many of my favorite players have Ko'olau ukes, it makes sense. Benny Chong, Corey Fujimoto, Paul Hemmings and Abe Lagrimas Jr. are all strong inspirations. I am ready to find my next ukulele!

Top Bottom