Which Longneck Pineapple?

Kevs-the-name

Reaction score
I recently had the pleasure of trying out a Koaloha Longneck Pineapple.

I loved it, but was concerned that it was too much like my Koaloha Concert?
also, at the time, my finances couldn’t really stretch to the asking price so I made the (probably wrong) decision to walk away. :(
I’m sure I’ll regret this for some time!!

I was wondering if anyone can recommend a different long neck Pineapple Uke?

The concert neck is the important factor here, I don’t seem to get on with the true Soprano neck, but fancy the sound.

Any suggestions?

Last edited:
I'm liking my KPK pineapple longneck. Not in the same league as the Koaloha of course but at a fourth the cost, it's close enough for most. :cool:

I like my Kala Spalted Maple/ sitka spruce top long neck soprano. It worked even with low g tuning. Since it is a laminate uke, I tend to take it when there are going to be big temperature changes, like in hot weather + air conditioning. It sounds different from the KoAloha longneck pineapple.

–Lori

Here's another vote for the KPK. It's a little heavier than the KoAloha, but for less than $200 for a great sounding all solid acacia long neck soprano pineapple, it can't be beat.

I have KoAloha and KPK longneck pineapples. The KoAloha is a beauty both in sound and looks. The KPK has great looks, but the more I play it the less I like it. It's still pretty new and may open up over time. The price differential is about right to my ear.

You could always go for Kamaka; the pineapple was their idea after all.

You might look at the Mele long-neck concert Pineapple as well. I've owned that one but sold it for some other uke (UAS was RAGING!)

I love my long-neck KoAloha Pineapple & in fact, it is my most played. My Mya-Moe Pineapple is my other favorite, but if you the Mele is a great choice if you are interested in something you haven't tried yet.

I have KoAloha and KPK longneck pineapples. The KoAloha is a beauty both in sound and looks. The KPK has great looks, but the more I play it the less I like it. It's still pretty new and may open up over time. The price differential is about right to my ear.

You could always go for Kamaka; the pineapple was their idea after all.

Yeah, with $600 or so difference in price, that Ko'Aloha ought to sound significantly better. Probably shouldn't compare one to the other. For $185 the KPK is a class act, but if I had the Ko'Aloha (OP doesn't really want to pay the going rate right now), I probably wouldn't have the KPK. That Ko'Aloha longneck pineapple is in a class of it's own, even for a Ko'Aloha.

Kala KA-SLNG for a great deal on a quality uke despite the price. Or the spruce version like I now have for more $$$. Depends on the price range you're looking for.

Or a Mainland Red Cedar / Rosewood Soprano longneck. Awesome instrument for the price.

Mainland long neck soprano pineapple with red cedar top / rosewood back and sides. If something different is what you are after at less than $300.00 which sounds great and has volume give it a serious look.

Thanks for you influx of replies and suggestions.
I guess half the battle is acquiring these ukes in he UK.
There are a few good options to consider, possibly starting with KPK or Mainland.

I'm seriously regretting not getting the Koaloha!!

Guess I should take my mind off it with something 'different' and cheaper.

Thanks for you influx of replies and suggestions.
I guess half the battle is acquiring these ukes in he UK.
There are a few good options to consider, possibly starting with KPK or Mainland.

I'm seriously regretting not getting the Koaloha!!

Guess I should take my mind off it with something 'different' and cheaper.

Here are a couple of comparisons of concert-scale pineapple ukes I did a few weeks ago for a different thread. Maybe they'll help.

KoAloha and KPK:

Just a note: I have Aquilas on my KPK concert.........and it's sound is at a much higher level than the Worth's in my opinion, so much so that I wouldn't consider any other strings on it at this time. Not sure how much my ebony nut and saddle affects it. I will probably put some of the new Aquila blacks on my new KPK longneck pineapple with a bone nut and saddle, when they are available. An ebony nut and saddle wouldn't be out of the question if I'm still not happy with it. It will still never be in the same ballpark as the KoAloha, ever, except as a "bang for the buck" economical surrogate.

Top Bottom