Do You Have A Beater Uke?

Oi, what ? ...smut ? ...on the UU forum ? oooer matron.....now then...

How do those plastic ukeleles play in the bath? Can you half /quarter fill them up to the sound hole and play Handel's Water Music ? Or get half decent watery warble effects?

CJ

Oi, what ? ...smut ? ...on the UU forum ? oooer matron.....now then...

How do those plastic ukeleles play in the bath? Can you half /quarter fill them up to the sound hole and play Handel's Water Music ? Or get half decent watery warble effects?

CJ

I'll have to try the "watery warble" tomorrow morning. :) One thing I've discovered about the Woodi, it leaks. The sides and back are one piece, and the top is glued down. But like a lot of plastic things, it's only glued in spots, so the seam between the top and sides is not air/water tight. If I let the bottom bout slip underwater, the body of the Uke starts to fill with water. Then I have to dump it out the sound hole. It's like bailing a leaky boat!

I've never beaten anyone with a uke. Although, occasionally I run into someone who is mean or stupid enough to make me want to....
I won a Kala G-C in a raffle, that has seen a lot of abuse, and still sounds good, stays in tune better than any uke I have. It looks like crap, but sounds good. The fretboard is made of some silly soft crappy wood, so it probably won't last long. Someday I'll fill it half full of dirt, put a plant in it, and hang it on my wall.

My beater is my Mya moe mahogany tenor....good to take around and sounds pretty nice...I got a good deal from a friend

I think I'm up to about 7 beaters, mostly sopranos that are wall hangers. My current traveler, now that I never get to travel, is a tank of a Bushman Jenny concert, spruce topped mahogany.

I have 3 ukes. My go-to is my KoAloha custom. I won't call it my 'beater', because I keep it in an Ameritage case when I'm not playing it, and the only time I hang it on the wall, is when I know it's going to be for a very short time. I also have a Pineapple Sunday that I play often. Same thing applies with it.

My beater was my original Lanikai LU-21B but my son plays that now. I use my concert flea now for my small beater and an old Harmony bari for my big beater.

I have a Makala Concert that I use as a beater uke.

....how can you have such a faithful ,loyal and friendly little companion and call it a beater...it is the best of your ukuleles ..you will play it anywhere ..to anybody....it does all it's own stunts and fears no adverse conditions....thrives on neglect and comes back for more ....I would not call this a beater ....I'd call it my Best
I'm with Ceejay on this. If I had a ukulele that didn't play well I'd not want to bother with it, but if it does play well I'd want to take care of it. Take it anywhere - maybe - but in a case, don't leave it lying on the wet grass/sand, or in the sun (for too long), and generally give it the respect a reliable instrument deserves :)

pink uke.jpg
Here's my beater uke. It's a Makala Dolphin who lives in the garage with my pink motorcycle.
I also have a Kala travel uke in my car. We must not be denied of our need to play when it strikes us...

My beater uke is the same as my main player uke...a curly koa Compass Rose tenor with abalone purfling around top, back, and peghead. If conditions are too extreme for my uke, they're too extreme for me. Yeah, I'd take it to the beach...

My beater uke is the same as my main player uke...a curly koa Compass Rose tenor with abalone purfling around top, back, and peghead. If conditions are too extreme for my uke, they're too extreme for me. Yeah, I'd take it to the beach...

If I was Enzo Ferrari my everyday driver would be a................ Ferrari. That being said I listened to a talk Joe Souza of Kanile'a gave and he said there is nothing that puts a bigger smile on a builders face than to see one of he ukuleles really well used. Scratches, dents and dings means it is played and loved. He used the hawaiian term" that uke is all bus up" which I took to mean all busted up.

My beater uke is an Epiphone Les Paul concert. Took it to Africa last summer. Not the most fantastic acoustic sound, but it works. Those things are overbuilt so much, I don't know what it would take to hurt one. Plus, at less than $100 invested, it won't hurt as much when it does get trashed.

Well, it came today, my Beater Uke! I'm SO proud!!! :cool:

This is it:
Oscar Schmidt KU1CY Kai-Concert Ukulele, Satin Yellow Finish
View attachment 71071

My first impressions are positive. It's fit and finish are good. No rough edges, no gaps between joints, the color finish is evenly applied, and the fret ends are nicely dressed. It tuned up without a problem, and the strings started to hold pitch (more or less) after only a couple of tunings. It plays in tune with itself. It's reasonably loud. The tone quality is, well .... sort of inexpensive sounding but not unpleasant. I like it for what it is. It's going to make a great beater uke.

I have a Makala MK-S as a car uke. $25 used. It's my cheapest uke, but it really sounds sweet and I rarely need to tune it. I leave it in the car and it suffers all kinds of heat, cold and abuse. Sometimes I forget it's there and I throw my skateboard in the back of the car and I hear...that noise. I'll fix it when it cracks, til there's nothing left but glue and strings.

"A ship in the harbor is safe, but that's not what ships are built for."

Mainland Tenor lives on stand by the TV. In harms way but not beat.

Top Bottom