Blackbird Clara re-review... Now I get it

I played one of these a little at the recent TBUG. It was broughtin by Dixie Ukuleles. It was LOUD! I thought it had a great tone, but it was homely. No offense.

For those that have had the Blackbird Clara, would you select it over other $1200 ukuleles?

In a word, yes and I've actually done that. I love the depth to its tone. I primarily play re-entrant (just started to dabble in low G), so the primary comparison is to other re-entrant ukes. I do agree the low G can be boomy. I did not like the stock string at all but the Aquila Red low G sounds pretty good. I still have to be careful not to overemphasize that string but that's been the case with all low G ukes I've played (admittedly, only about 6-7 different ukes).

Last edited:
For those that have had the Blackbird Clara, would you select it over other $1200 ukuleles?

Among the concerts I've owned or played, and on behalf of people who've suffered through my poor efforts at playing during the past few years, yes.

Last edited:
These are great replies to my question from experienced UUers. Thanks for your respected input.

That was a great question Steve. You can get a real high end concert for $1200. Think about it, basically all the K brands, Collings UC1 and most non blinged up customs, ie Kinnard, Mya Moe, MP and others like Ono or Covered Bridge are less than that price. My initial reaction is one of doubt but I have not played the Clara and these people have.

Someone says to me.......here is your choice a Kinnard concert or a Clara?????? Guess I need to try one.

I got to test out Eddie's Clara, and was very impressed with it. I like the sound with the Aquila Reds on it. I play low G concert size all the time, and liked the volume and clarity of the notes, especially on the 4th string where, on other ukes, it can get muddy sounding. I really liked the action, and the feel of the neck (shape and size). Very easy to play. Overall, great sounding and playing uke. I wish it looked more attractive at that price (I love pretty ukes). I do think the Clara shape is more attractive than the other Blackbird "figure 8" variation. As an industrial designer, I am kind of sensitive to that kind of thing. Not sure what I would suggest for improvement in that area. The fabrication method is new, and I am sure there are limitations to what can be done to the color. Anyway, I would love to have one in my collection, and it would get a lot of use in the ensemble playing activities. It will have to wait until next year, when other expenses have subsided.

–Lori

Love the sound of the Clara! Doc J's sound sample was a good example. But also agree with you Lori (and Doc J's wife) that the aesthetics compared to my other uses just aren't there for me. Was able to play one at Bernunzio's and loved the sound but also wished it looked more attractive.
Maybe after reading good uke boy's rationale, I might have to reconsider.:)

Last edited:
Among the concerts I've owned or played, and on behalf of people who've suffered through my poor efforts at playing during the past few years, yes.

To put this answer in context, I:
1. Prefer concert size, deeper (tenor-like) sounding, low-g ukes.
2. Value Clara's durability and resistance to humidity swings.
3. Own some high quality concert ukes in the $1200+ range (Collings, Santa Cruz) and others in the $700-$1200 range (KoAloha, Pohaku, Kenny Hill Ukebrand). Haven't played others (Kinnard, Mya Moe, MP).
4. Like beautiful looking ukes but find there's a downside to that beauty: concern about causing dings, need to wipe down after use, etc.
5. Found it's not too hard to adjust my playing style to what started out to be a somewhat boomy low-g string.
6. Ordered a ukulele last week. Wanted something that sounds great, has a pickup, and has Gotoh UPT tuning machines. After much thought and playing all the ukes I own, sopranos and tenors included, I ordered a custom Clara.

Hope you get a chance to try one...

good_uke_boy

That was a very well thought out list of reasons. I do like the idea of a tenor sound from a comcert size. The durability advantage could also be of benefit as I go camping, to friends cottages and attend three regular uke jams.

Does anyone know if you can order one with a radius fret board

They don't have a radius fretboard, but the fretboard is the most playable I've ever experienced on any ukulele other than a Moore Bettah. Even if you think you need a radius because of biomechanical issues, you don't need one on the Clara. The fretboard is simply fantastic.

Without a doubt, yes. Not only that, I would give up pretty much anything else I own now but the Clara.

Last edited:
I am planning to get a custom Blackbird tenor with radiused fretboard, so the radius is an option on the Clara, I would imagine.

I would really love to have one. I want to blow away my buddy who has this loud clangy MM resonator

Blackbird will make it they way you want it. They can do a radius fretboard it you like. I don't think it would make any real difference on a concert model, however. If it were a tenor I would add a radius, but I find with concerts they are already so playable it doesn't make much difference.

Blackbird will make it they way you want it. They can do a radius fretboard it you like. I don't think it would make any real difference on a concert model, however. If it were a tenor I would add a radius, but I find with concerts they are already so playable it doesn't make much difference.

I have had about 10-12 ukes, some with and some without radius. The Clara is among the most playable of any of the ukes I have personally played.

Just got a cryptic notice from Fedex telling me that I should expect to see a 7 lb. package on Monday, the 8th. Wonder what it might be?

All these review of the Clara with the low G. I am a High G player. Can anyone tell me how the Clara sounds with a High G on it. Does it still have the same loud volume.

All these review of the Clara with the low G. I am a High G player. Can anyone tell me how the Clara sounds with a High G on it. Does it still have the same loud volume.

Yes, it is just as loud and, to me, it sounds fantastic. I have mine strung with Aquila Reds and pretty much everyone who has played it has been impressed. It has a very rich and unique tone.

Top Bottom