Blackbird Clara re-review... Now I get it

Not sure if my sound clip does the Clara justice. I decided to do a quick Garageband thing on my iPad and then realized that I had never opened Garageband on the iPad. Had to search to find a "clean" or acoustic amp model and was not satisfied that my choice was an accurate representation of the Clara's tone.

As for the instrument itself, I am very impressed on several counts. The basic sound production, with the combination of the composite layup and the hollow neck is brilliantly executed. In addition, the use of the Ekoa material clearly tames the carbon fiber tone that I have always perceived as a bit on the brittle side. The neck plays very friendly up to about the 10th fret where the real estate starts getting crowded for my large glove sized hands. Chords in that region that I can easily play on my tenors require a bit of a slow down and more deliberate finger placement. Obviously, this is a function of scale length vs. the tenors, but it does affect my overall playing experience.

Currently, the tone is more than acceptable and the volume is quite more than adequate. In fact, the volume is considerable bordering on the phrase usually reserved for loud mandolins; "this thing is a cannon". I don't know which strings came to me on the Clara, but the low G boominess that some have mentioned, while present to some degree, is not as much as an issue as I had begun to think it might be. I am thinking on cutting down my last set of Living Waters (low G) it order to experiment a bit with reducing the low G presence a bit more. At the moment, the "lower case" boom is only noticible with single notes and I can control that easily by concentrating on my thumb attack. Still, I am of the opinion that the right low G string will render the boom comments moot. Might have to sacrifice the tenor Living Waters to find out, though.

There is also an overall relaxing sense that accompanies playing this instrument. I don't know how many homes this thing has visited, but my guess is that despite the care exercised by those who came before me, a wood instrument having made this journey would show signs of wear, bumps or bruises. The Clara looks like it is brand spanking new. I really like the comfort of knowing that this thing is not likely to lose some of its esthetic appeal due to a collision caused by a galloping cat.

When I played a Clara for a few minutes during the last Reno Uke festival, I was somewhat mildly interested primarily because it was not of the scale length that I prefer. I still harbor some of that thought, but if it became clear to me that Blackbird had decided to keep this the Ekoa design limited to the Concert scale, I might well decide that the convenience and portability of the current size is OK with me. In my heart, I would still like to see an Ekoa tenor, though.

Overall, this uke is a clear winner.

The idea of a ukulele being passed around for people to try out is completely new to me.(I assume that is what is going on here) Where would somebody sign up for a service like this.

The idea of a ukulele being passed around for people to try out is completely new to me.(I assume that is what is going on here) Where would somebody sign up for a service like this.

This came out of MacNichol Guitars in Salt Lake City. Michael Stone set up the road show in a UU thread. Do a search over in Uke Talk. That is where the original Road Show thread started. I posted my impressions here because I got the threads mixed up.

Last edited:
I tried a couple of Low G all fluorocarbon sets on Clara. All were too boomy. I've a set of Kala Pearl strings now, all wound. Good balance and tone, no "flub-da-dub" of floppy strings. I'll be trying a Southcoast "Acoustic" set next.

Restringing My Beltona made a huge positive difference. It sounds terrible and goes out of tune unless I use the Martin

My thoughts on the Clara, if I might. I have been playing about 2 years now and have had a bad case of UAS for high-quality ukuleles. I love the Blackbird Clara. I tried out a tenor Farallon to compare it to my other tenors and to the Clara, which I’ve had for a year now. The Clara is a very versatile instrument. It’s strung with low g and tends to complement a group of re-entrant ukuleles. At every group I go to, and a couple uke fests I’ve attended, the Clara gets a lot of attention—not only because of its looks but often on the first strum, heads will turn. The sound is pretty amazing for a small instrument. I think it projects more than the Farallon. People like the Clara and want it. However, some don’t care for it because it does sound “different” from a traditional ukulele. And the non wood material bugs them. It’s clean sounding, you can play delicate finger picked songs or play gritty blues.
The rounded body tends to be slippery. I use a guitar strap I resized so it loops above the nut. I noticed recently that the 2 frets near the nut have a bit of wear on them from a low-quality wound low g. I am a bit disappointed about this but Blackbird says their frets can be replaced if need be.
I play this ukulele a lot because I leave it sitting on the couch. I travel with it whenever I leave town because I don’t have to worry if it sits in a car for while. And really if it were destroyed or stolen, God forbid, it could be replaced and probably sound the same as the original, unlike many other ukuleles.
And while I often think the Clara, with its low g, sounds like a tenor it doesn’t really when you hear it next to an actual tenor. But it gives you that feel a bit.
The Clara can cut across the din of a bunch of ukuleles. My vintage Martin Soprano has a loud bark that can cut thru, too. But that’s another sound completely. I am very happy with the Clara.

Yes Booli that is a nice review. I read it and listened too before. If I remember right BazMaz also mentioned his wish that it had been re-entrant version for him to test ... and go back to shop. That is why I searched and posted the video link, curious as I am. Myself I can never afford a such one. I too don't like the plastic look of the fingerboard.

Eddie what you mean by not dry? It had been manipulated for sound or what? I do notice it being quite echo like and if it is not the room or uke I'd like clearance of what you mean.

Last edited:
...Eddie what you mean by not dry? It had been manipulated for sound or what? I do notice it being quite echo like and if it is not the room or uke I'd like clearance of what you mean.

Not trying to steal any thunder from Eddie, but I can offer some info...

'dry' vs. 'wet' are audio recording terms used to differentiate between the use of effects and/or processing, or NOT.

dry = unmolested, original audio
wet = processed, non-original audio

Seems like that video (of the headless Asian fella playing) has lots of reverb going on, which makes it 'wet', and while maybe is nice for casual listening, but does little to demonstrate the ACTUAL sound of the instrument in such a way that enables the listener to make a comparison to literally 'anything' else.

For natural sound comparisons, wet, or processed audio is typically NOT wanted.

It's like trying to compare different pairs of eyeglasses with Vaseline smeared all over the lenses, thus you cannot see anything clearly.

Yea but Booli this Clara is made from an impervious ekoa composite. It is made to be played wet, it could be played in a thunderstorm:biglaugh::biglaugh::biglaugh: How's that for stealing some thunder Eddie

They don't have a radius fretboard, but the fretboard is the most playable I've ever experienced on any ukulele other than a Moore Bettah. Even if you think you need a radius because of biomechanical issues, you don't need one on the Clara. The fretboard is simply fantastic.

My blackbird has radius. I don’t feel any different comparing to flat fretboard. I am just wondering if the Clara neck is comfortable being thinner than other uke. Is it the same thickness as blackbird?

My blackbird has radius. I don’t feel any different comparing to flat fretboard. I am just wondering if the Clara neck is comfortable being thinner than other uke. Is it the same thickness as blackbird?

which 'blackbird' do you mean?

They have 'BTU' which is black carbon fiber tenor

and 'Farallon' which is eKoa tenor

and 'Clara' which is eKoa concert...

can you share a photo of your wonderful 'blackbird' for us please Brenda?

I am fairly new to ukulele but have already experienced two ukuleles which were very disappointing. The first one went back immediately and the second one is about to go back. I am worried there is going to be a 'dry' period
while I wait for a new ukulele to arrive and I want to make sure that whatever instrument I choose is a 'keeper' and worth the wait. I am already going into withdrawals. I have been researching and research and researching...all brands...all K brands, all L brands, the P brands and the unique brands including custom. I am seriously hooked and may need intervention at some point. My eye is now on the Blackbird. I am about to take the plunge. Is it as good as it appears? I can save 10% on ordering through Elderly...is this a good choice of vendors? Any help appreciated. I am on the Canada side and our dollar and duty makes any purchase expense and it is a bit scarey. Sandy

...My eye is now on the Blackbird. I am about to take the plunge. Is it as good as it appears?

Many folks here on UU would have loved to start with something on the level of any of the Blackbird ukes, but remember that it is not a wood instrument and will not SOUND like a wood instrument.

I can save 10% on ordering through Elderly...is this a good choice of vendors? Any help appreciated.

The Blackbird ukes are not made like others, so do not need a 'set up' so buying one of these is less of a risk/hassle than other instruments made of wood, since the Blackbird ukes are 'engineered' from the factory to be playable out of the box. Elderly is very much a well-liked vendor here on UU. I've made 3 purchases from them in the past 2 yrs and have no complaints. Spoken to them on the phone a handful of times and was always happy with their customer service. They ship fast and do not over-charge for shipping.

I am on the Canada side and our dollar and duty makes any purchase expense and it is a bit scarey. Sandy

Have you looked at Cosmo Music? They may be able to get what you want by special order if they dont have it in regular inventory, and by doing so you avoid both the currency conversion and the customs fees. Maybe you should check out their web site or call them. https://cosmomusic.ca/ and they have a Holiday sale going on right now, so maybe they could match your discount for Elderly because of that sale.

Thanks to all who have commented on this:) Still on the fence about the Blackbird but about to take the plunge. Will definitely check out cosmomusic.ca! Thank you!

Well if you do go with a Farallon, be sure to consider the many options that are now available. Like a sound port, or string through bridge, or radiused fretboard (all of which I wish my Farallon had!).

Thanks to all who have commented on this:) Still on the fence about the Blackbird but about to take the plunge. Will definitely check out cosmomusic.ca! Thank you!

I live in Canada and own a Farallon......I also own a number of solid wood instruments. Most people that play my Farallon are impressed with the sound..........until they play one of my all wood ukes. Now as a disclaimer most everything I own custom. But a $1500 custom or a $1100 Pono pro classic sounds better to my ears than my $2000 Farallon, it has all the options, base price is around $1400.

The only reason that I bought the Farallon is to take it traveling and camping. I can also leave it out on a stand when the humidity is below 40% with no issues. I do like the sound and playability. If I were to buy only one expensive ukulele as my main player it would not be a Farallon. I like the sound of a wood instrument better but that is just me and my opinion.

Last edited:
Top Bottom