Don't Upgrade to IOS 8.0 on iPad yet

SteveZ

Reaction score
If you have an iPad and are considering whether to install IOS 8.0, strongly suggest you DO NOT.

I installed IOA 8.0 on this iPad Mini - Big Mistake! I can no longer upload photos from my photo library - tried to upload to UU and my browser crashed three times. Went to backup browsers and still it crashed.

Can't downgrade back to IOS 7.1 so am stuck with this lemon until Apple cleans this messy thing they call IOS 8.0. Whoever did the system verification for IOS 8.0 may have also done the system verification of the ObamaCare website rollout a few months ago.

Lesson learned - don't accept an upgrade until many months after its rollout.

Waiting for version .1 is always a good idea, give's them time to fix the immediate bugs. That being said, the real problem is saying "Yes" to updating to iCloud, which won't work properly until you have "Yosemite" on your Mac, which won't be release until Oct 20th.

I won't use iCloud. Am not impressed with this system at all. Got talked into trying an iPad and am disappointed in the product.

Hmm. My iPad is working fine with iOS 8...

Was aggravating. Went to add a photo to a UU reply and found out the hard way I couldn't do it. Was also going to list a uke and now will have to photo it with a borrowed digital camera (instead of the iPad) and do everything on a desktop Pc that's rarely turned on anymore. At least the keyboard still works.

No problems with iOS 8 on my iPad mini retina.

After iOS8 my ipad mini seems to disconnect from the internet an awful lot. I also don't like the fact that Safari has moved where the Bookmarks tab is from one side to the other.

After iOS8 my ipad mini seems to disconnect from the internet an awful lot. I also don't like the fact that Safari has moved where the Bookmarks tab is from one side to the other.

That is precisely what I read just yesterday as the fatal flaw of iOS8...the security features bump a user off the internet incessantly.

Although the .1 upgrade came a couple days ago, and those that are already with 8.0 might want to consider it (if they can't Time Machine back to iOS7, as some have done), for the rest of us, the 0.1 has issues, too!

Wait, maybe Apple yanked 0.1 update, yesterday See:
http://www.cnet.com/news/apple-releases-ios-8-0-1-a-week-after-ios-8-launch/

Stay with iOS7 for now on phones and pads. :cool: And no Yosemite until they force it down our throats. lol

force-feed_616.jpg

Last edited:
I love Apple - typing this on my iPad as we speak. And in general I love my new iPhone (including ios8 on it - though I am not putting that on the iPads for a while). But my new phone has really been acting up - tons of static in the background. I am out of town where there are no Apple stores so I took it to AT&T and she replaced the SIM card. It did not solve the static and made it so my reception is spotty. I have a Genius Bar appt. for Tuesday after I get back in town but they said they have no replacements in stock. :( Still, an Apple fangirl I remain.

I love Apple - typing this on my iPad as we speak. And in general I love my new iPhone (including ios8 on it - though I am not putting that on the iPads for a while). But my new phone has really been acting up - tons of static in the background. I am out of town where there are no Apple stores so I took it to AT&T and she replaced the SIM card. It did not solve the static and made it so my reception is spotty. I have a Genius Bar appt. for Tuesday after I get back in town but they said they have no replacements in stock. :( Still, an Apple fangirl I remain.
Seriously, Staci, google it. Poor connectivity of iOS8 for phone and wi-fi reception IS the issue. It's all over the internet.
Like this: https://discussions.apple.com/thread/6554919

And, battery drain issues. Is your battery lasting much less? It's a boondoggle. Is there no way you can go back to iOS7? I have no iPhone, so I don;t know. I was an Apple fanboy, but two MacBook Pros and three iPads later, I know they are completely fallible, just like the rest of them. Many issues (overworked fans on MacAirs, etc.) that Apple simply does not address despite reams of comments from angry customers. I give Apple a B- grade, overall. Microsoft a C. :) Don't put Yosemite on your Macs, Staci. Seriously. Not for many months despite the pushing notifications. lol

SteveZ's initial warning has been prophetic.

Last edited:
I have two iPad retina's both running iOS8 with no problems. One of them I use for teaching and I'm constantly on airplay and running programs with no problems whatsoever.

Seriously, Staci, google it. Poor connectivity of iOS8 for phone and wi-fi reception IS the issue. It's all over the internet.
Like this: https://discussions.apple.com/thread/6554919

And, battery drain issues. Is your battery lasting much less? It's a boondoggle. Is there no way you can go back to iOS7? I have no iPhone, so I don;t know. I was an Apple fanboy, but two MacBook Pros and three iPads later, I know they are completely fallible, just like the rest of them. Many issues (overworked fans on MacAirs, etc.) that Apple simply does not address despite reams of comments from angry customers. I give Apple a B- grade, overall. Microsoft a C. :) Don't put Yosemite on your Macs, Staci. Seriously. Not for many months despite the pushing notifications. lol

SteveZ's initial warning has been prophetic.

I think I can't downgrade because this is an iPhone 6. I love the screen and feel but probably would have kept my iPhone 5 if I had known how bad it would sound. Hopefully it is a hardware issue and I can find an Apple store when I get home that can swap it out.

But yeah, no go on the iOs 8 on my iPads. That is a bummer that Yosemite is buggy too? I was looking forward to Airdrop and answering calls through my computer. Hmm. Looks like I will wait a bit on that too then.

I love the screen and feel but probably would have kept my iPhone 5 if I had known how bad it would sound.

I had the exact same experience with going from my iPad 3 to a new iPad Mini. All the review said iPad Mini good, but (a) my vision is worse than I thought and I need the bigger iPad standard screen (my fault), and (b) the speakers are smaller and more tinny, less volume, on the iPad Mini (Apple's fault). Ugh! Not one review mentioned the lousy speakers. Doh!

Cheers. Iphone 6, wow! (Hope it's not the bendable 6 Plus, another Apple misstep. lol)

Top Bottom