Ever Name Your Ukulele?

I don't name my ukuleles .......but I do call them lots of names ....:rolleyes: especially if they aren't behaving properly and playing nice ....:eek:

Mine came with names.Mahalo,Makala,etc.....They are musical
instruments not pets or children!

I tend to call them either by the manufacturer name or style; Kala, Gretsch, Vorson, two hole, gypsy jazz, mandolele, fretless u-bass, LP bass, Gold Tone or MicroBass.

Last edited:
I knew a guy that had a dog with no legs . Every nite he would take him out for a drag.
That is so funny, Pete!

Reminds me of a joke in grade school. Kids at the door: "Can Jimmy come out and play?" Jimmy's mom: "You kids know that Jimmy has no arms and no legs." Kids: "Yeah, but he can play second base."

I'm desperate to have Beau Hannam make me a uke or guitar, just so I can name it "C......."

Actually, I'll leave that unsaid. Beau will know what I'm talking about ;)

Do those of you who name your Ukes talk to them? :eek:ld:

More or less. You're a Solo performer doing your first gig at a new venue (so you're not sure of the acoustics) lots of people you don't know, you might say "OK Eddy, we're on" or "time to strut our stuff" or something else completely innocuous but a little reassuring. Like a competition surfer might say to his favourite board or a professional biker to his favourite bike. I guess it's because it's a solo gig. So, yes, to me anyway, I like the reassurance of a familiar instrument. None of the other equipment matters all that much, like mixers etc. because they're not there anyway when you're plugged into house sound.

I had a Johnson I called Junk. Once it was gone I changed its name to good riddance.

Do those of you who name your Ukes talk to them? :eek:ld:

...well yes ..after I have called it a name I usually just give it a brief synopsis of why that particular name for the moment . But I make sure that there are no Ladies or kids ...or easily frightened small animals in the vicinity....and well away from the mic if on stage......

"You fuzzing bazza piece of ship kicking son of a titch mother plucker.." or at least I believe that is what it sounds like when uttered sotto voce............

Last edited:
here are mine

Top Bottom