only Only ONLY low G ?

I play both. I like both. Gave me an excuse to buy another uke. What's not to like about that? ;)

To me, it has been a journey... I've gone back n forth different preferences and different musical styles attributed to each type.

Currently my most frequently played instruments are guitars and low-G tuned ukuleles.
The main reason is that I tend to play a lot of finger-style instrumentals, and for many songs, that low-G is fundamental.

It also allows me to play the same instrumental on the guitar as well, as I go back n forth seamlessly between the two instruments.

That being said, I do keep one uke tuned in high-G.
I really appreciate the different sound that high-G has which cannot be replaced by low-G.

I have a Kala solid mahogany tenor now strung low G with Living Waters, and a Martin T1K with re-entrant tuning (Martin strings). I couldn't be happier with both of them. I feel that the tunings and strings bring out the best in each - the low tuning really suits the dark, warm sound on the Kala, and ditto in reverse for the Martin. There are some things I play that each is better suited for, and I'm so pleased with them that my UAS is way, way down (it never goes away completely though, does it?)

I personally much prefer high G on my tenor, but a low G decidedly has its place. I have an LFdM tenor that was built for low G that I've been playing high G, but Luis is presently building me one tuned for high G so I'll have both. But no savings.

With both, I'll be able to do pretty much everything I want.

I personally much prefer high G on my tenor, but a low G decidedly has its place. I have an LFdM tenor that was built for low G that I've been playing high G, but Luis is presently building me one tuned for high G so I'll have both. But no savings.

With both, I'll be able to do pretty much everything I want.

Not on your life! There will always be something else you desperately want. :eek:ld:

I have both. Mostly high-G but some songs/ukes sound better with low.

OK- guess this is a poll of sort so I shall vote: only Only ONLY LOW G. I have 2 ukes- both tenors. Both have Living Waters Low G sets on them. I came from a guitar world so I guess that's the reason. I also play my best uke (Collings UT3-K) 99% of the time. Keeping it simple. This is after my guitar experience over years where I had many, many guitars to the point where I spent more time lusting after a new instrument than learning to play the ones I had well. No more. I love the ukulele. I play every day pretty much. Life is good. In all likelihood it would be just as good playing exclusively high G but that's not where I am. So it goes.

I use high-G because Jake, Aldrine, Eddie V., Gerald, and Tiny Tim use it.:p

I know, I know, Brittni, Taimane, blah blah use low G. But who cares. lol

I'm trying to imagine Tiny Tim with a low G-string on........no, it's not working! I guess it was the high G-string that enabled him to sing soprano.

Nice playing by the way.

Last edited:
I'm trying to imagine Tiny Tim with a low G-string on........no, it's not working! I guess it was the high G-string that enabled him to sing soprano.

Nice playing by the way.

OOOOeeerrrr Thanks for that ....I have an image in my head that I now cannot get rid of ....involving tiptoeing ...falsetto ...tulips, a
leeeeetle ukulele and a giant hairy...........aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh:wtf:

Keeping the thread alive...

I use both, but I don't know what I'm doing.

I have two tenors, a Kala tenor that sounds good with both but better with low G, and a Lanikai that only sounds good with high.

I wonder the same thing about string tension as IamNoMan. My first uke, a Mele concert, sounds awesome with a low G but the neck is twisted. Not sure if it's because of the wound string or because I brought it from Maui to a very dry climate in northern Canada.

Top Bottom