Getting my first true custom uke!

BTW, I've probably said more than I should regarding this. I don't know the builder in question. I am commenting on the builder/customer relationship in general.

It's not like you're qualified or anything... ;-) Seriously, I think I can safely say that the vast majority of us truly appreciate your wisdom, Chuck, which you are always so gracious in sharing.

hahaha...I wouldn't classify Timbuck in the same category.

The man is genius machinist with outstanding ideas and he makes a damn fine ukulele too. He has much wisdom to share and he shares freely . . . and that's what I'm referring to.

. . . and actually, I know a pretty well respected luthier that said if he ever wanted a uke that he didn't build, it would be a Timm's so he's got that going for him too.

s
The man is genius machinist with outstanding ideas and he makes a damn fine ukulele too. He has much wisdom to share and he shares freely . . . and that's what I'm referring to.

. . . and actually, I know a pretty well respected luthier that said if he ever wanted a uke that he didn't build, it would be a Timm's so he's got that going for him too.

ok, I was trying to be vague but I was complimenting Ken.

My first custom was from Gordon, Char, and Aaron at Mya-Moe. Gordon has the patience of a saint, because I changed my configuration twice after discovering all the different wood combinations they offered. Afterwards, I realized what a pain in the butt I had been even though Gordon said I wasn't horrible.

I learned my lesson and my subsequent commissions from Mike Pereira, Luis Feu de Mesquita, and Jerry Hoffman all went much smoother since I left them alone after selecting my wood combinations and accessories.

I liked the custom experience but realized that I would have accepted almost any instrument from these builders. I don't need any more ukes but after my youngest daughter graduates from college I would like to add a Compass Rose Mini Jumbo tenor from Rick Turner because he is a legend. However, I'll buy my Compass Rose from Gryphon, Sylvan, or the Blue Guitar because I will need instant gratification by then.

I'm looking forward to seeing how your two customs develop CJ. Thanks for sharing the experience with us.

Don

It's not like you're qualified or anything... ;-) Seriously, I think I can safely say that the vast majority of us truly appreciate your wisdom, Chuck, which you are always so gracious in sharing.

I agree wholeheartedly. I poke my head into the Luthiers Lounge now and again (and, by the way, I love that UU luthiers are willing to talk about their craft in front of the rest of us), but I particularly appreciate when luthiers take the time to post in other forums, like Uke Talk, and especially in threads that raise questions that luthiers are uniquely qualified to answer. If I were the OP asking questions about my first custom build, I would especially want luthiers to weigh in on what the luthier-client relationship looks like from their point of view.

I haven't been on the threads to often lately. Are you still posting videos? Thoroughly enjoyed the videos you've posted in the past.

I haven't made as many lately. I have noticed you haven't been around as much. I'm always happy to see Asians on this website contributing.

Exactly how many mm's is "whisper thin" anyways? Reminds me of people who say they want "the lowest action possible", but have no idea what height they are talking about and then complain it buzzes if they pluck it hard.

I agree wholeheartedly. I poke my head into the Luthiers Lounge now and again (and, by the way, I love that UU luthiers are willing to talk about their craft in front of the rest of us), but I particularly appreciate when luthiers take the time to post in other forums, like Uke Talk, and especially in threads that raise questions that luthiers are uniquely qualified to answer. If I were the OP asking questions about my first custom build, I would especially want luthiers to weigh in on what the luthier-client relationship looks like from their point of view.

I agree with Mark and Uncle Eddie! We can learn so much from the Luthiers! I love it that they take the time to share with us and spread the Aloha spirit!

Top Bottom