Sure Fire Way to Improve Significantly

As I learned it.

PRACTICING: Intentionally focused on improving your skills; running through scales, learning new tunes, focusing on tricky passages on solo pieces, etc..
NOODLING: Playing with absolutely no direction or focus, as in walking by the ukulele on the stand, picking it up and playing whatever for a couple of minutes, putting it back down and going about your business.
I guess in that case, I don't do much noodling at all. I seldom just pick up my ukelele and play whatever, then put it down. I do often times think, "I wonder what that would sound like", and then I run up and see. Where does creativity fit in?

Last edited:
I guess in that case, I don't do much noodling at all. I seldom just pick up my ukelele and play whatever, then put it down. I do often times think, "I wonder what that would sound like", and then I run up and see.

But where do you take it? Do you just figure out what your thought was and leave it at that, or do you then try to find some useful applications for it?

Case in point: I was listening to the Brandi Carlile album, Bear Creek, the other day and thought "Hey, I like the tune 'Keep Your Heart Young.' I'll bet it's in G, with a couple of chord changes." So when I got home, I grabbed my ukulele and played a couple different chords and sure enough, it's in G. Played along with the recording twice and got the gist of it. Put the uke down and went about my business.

For me, that was noodling.

A couple of days later, I sat down and worked on the chords more intently; what voice leading would be good for the verse, where it could fit into the chorus, any chords that might be odd (like the Gmaj/B that was in the chorus), etc., and then pulled out the metronome and played along with that to make sure my chords were "playing well" with my strumming patterns.

For me, that was practicing.

Where does creativity fit in?

Honestly, both in practicing and noodling.

I write a lot of solo bass compositions, many of which started out as just noodling while I was killing some time. HOWEVER, the countless hours of practicing technique, studying theory, running scales all provided the foundation so when I was "noodling," I could easily figure out what it was that sparked my interest, and replicate it easily. And then, arrange it in such a way to give it life as a song. Without that solid foundation, it would be much harder to take an idea from concept to completion. It would be luck.

Last edited:
If I practice I get better, period. I don't like to always do an hour though. If I am working on a small little thing like a strumming pattern or chunking pattern I like to do it for 10 minute spurts and pick it up like once an hour for a few hours in a row, or even play for 5 minutes trying the chunk. I've made video's the same day and seen literally 500% improvement by the end of the day. I just work on one tiny thing, for 5 minutes at a time for several times that day, then the next day I only need to do it once because I've got it down and then I am ready to work onto the next part. I like to compartmentalize each piece.

If I practice I get better, period. I don't like to always do an hour though. If I am working on a small little thing like a strumming pattern or chunking pattern I like to do it for 10 minute spurts and pick it up like once an hour for a few hours in a row, or even play for 5 minutes trying the chunk. I've made video's the same day and seen literally 500% improvement by the end of the day. I just work on one tiny thing, for 5 minutes at a time for several times that day, then the next day I only need to do it once because I've got it down and then I am ready to work onto the next part. I like to compartmentalize each piece.

Whatever you're doing, it's definitely working. The improvement in your videos since you've started posting has been terrific.

Whatever you're doing, it's definitely working. The improvement in your videos since you've started posting has been terrific.

thank you! Thats so nice to read, its hard to hear yourself!!!!

Barre chords will come with practice. On thing to do is get a chord chart and try playing chord changes you know but in different positions. Also, try playing what you know in different keys. I'm of the school that speed comes with muscle memory - I think it's a big mistake to speed up until you play it cleanly. I like to focus on tone, playing cleanly and smoothly allowing the notes to ring.

Barre chords on the uke are really not that hard. I find the various closed shapes that are not barre chords hard to get to where they are automatic. Even when the chord isn't hard it takes a while for it to become natural. For me a goal has been to get proficient through the whole fret board. Coming from guitar the first five frets were easy. I've really been working on getting comfortable through the whole neck.

All of us have things that come easier and things that come harder and they are different for each of us. I find that if I attempt music that is too hard and just keep plugging at it day after day, eventually it comes - even if it takes months. Sometimes I'll work on it a few weeks then turn to something else that is hard for me, then come back and find the older piece is now easier. I think the most important thing is to play every day (or as close to every day as possible) and to keep reaching for things that are a little too hard. Also, I think it helps to mix it up and keep adding new music.
Great advice!
I know that as for me I get comfortable with the easy cords and songs and must force myself to stretch until uncomfortable cords become comfortable. Guess I am kind of lazy in that sense. I will take you kind advice and hopefully grow.
Thank you!

Well, I screwed up today. I got all stressed out over financial stuff, and didn't play unitl I was too stressed out to do anyting else. It only lasted 5 minutes....then I had to leave for work..how in hte heck do any of you guys find an hour to play?

Well, I screwed up today. I got all stressed out over financial stuff, and didn't play unitl I was too stressed out to do anyting else. It only lasted 5 minutes....then I had to leave for work..how in hte heck do any of you guys find an hour to play?
Interesting post Nickie. I hope your day is better today. I find it interesting, because I play my uke to relieve my stress. Most of my stress is made up stress though. I don't have a lot to be stressed about, so I stress about things that are not important. Anyway, I'm old, retired, and most of my ups and downs are behind me. That is how I get an hour to play. I remember how it was when I was younger though. Good luck and stay positive.

I make time. I try to stick to a regular time. "Oh! It's almost 4 o'clock. It's time to practice." Some days I start earlier because I'm excited to get going.

But don't worry if it doesn't work that way for you. I have just made it a priority. I'm afraid I will poop out if I don't schedule it.

Top Bottom