Alternate to the Aquilla reds

billten

Reaction score
I have posted a PM to Mimmo a while ago but no reply so i thought i would ask the forum. I have a uke that sounds, to my ears, best with aquila reds but this uke eats aquila reds like popcorn, breaking strings constantly. I have tried everything, widen slots, saddle adjustments, looking for rough edges, but there is just something that breaks the strings.

Can anyone suggest a bright and lively sounding string with a similar feel to the reds either in the aquila range or some other brand of string? Incidentally i have tried, worth clears, martin m620, GHS fluro and a few of the more common brands.

Thanks.. Bill

I'm not sure they sound similar to Aquila Reds at all but when I gave up on Reds I ended up with Worth Browns on my Pono and Fremont Blacklines on my Fluke. Both are tenor with low G tuning. I do think the Reds have a unique and wonderful sound, but for me it wasn't worth the trouble.

I have posted a PM to Mimmo a while ago but no reply so i thought i would ask the forum. I have a uke that sounds, to my ears, best with aquila reds but this uke eats aquila reds like popcorn, breaking strings constantly. I have tried everything, widen slots, saddle adjustments, looking for rough edges, but there is just something that breaks the strings.

Can anyone suggest a bright and lively sounding string with a similar feel to the reds either in the aquila range or some other brand of string? Incidentally i have tried, worth clears, martin m620, GHS fluro and a few of the more common brands.

Thanks.. Bill

Full disclosure: I'm a bonafide Aquila Red fan. If there was a local club, I might be president. ;-) I have never broken a string. I'm sure I will, but I haven't yet and I've had them on at least five of the ukes I've had to date. It sounds like you've eliminated any sharp edges. Have you also watched Mimmo's video on installing the strings?

I have tried a lot of strings on quite a few ukes in the 13 months I've played (maybe I should change strings less often and practice more).

1) Regarding your question about feel, I don't know of any other strings that feel like the Reds do. At first, I found it disconcerting but I quickly came to really like/prefer it.

2) On sound, it has varied based on the uke if anything sounded nearly as good to my ears (and admittedly, they are not the most refined, but hey, I'm stuck with 'em). I had some instruments that I found a bit bright on which Worth Browns was a second choice to the Reds. On a few others adding warmth wasn't the primary goal, but rather I wanted more sustain or projection, my second choice to the Reds tended toward Living Waters or Worth Clears. I have yet to try Southcoast, but I love the variety they offer and their proactive educational efforts. I definitely plan to give them a try.

Good luck finding a string that works for you!

Thanks for the great suggestions, i too am a big Aquila reds fan, just got frustrated. I have ordered a set of worth browns and i'll also try the living waters. The worth clears were my second choice at the moment but while they were 'ok' i like the reds more. I wish i knew how you managed to not break a string, i've gone through so many sets on three different ukes, just driving me crazy because i really like that rough feel of the reds and the sound is really great.

Thanks for the great suggestions, ... i like the reds more. I wish i knew how you managed to not break a string, i've gone through so many sets on three different ukes, just driving me crazy because i really like that rough feel of the reds and the sound is really great.
I'd be interested to know where the strings break, at the bridge, the nut, the tuning peg or just "anywhere". I've not had a problem with "reds" breaking, though I was particularly attentive to the nut slots when I installed them (lo-G), however one troublesome instrument had sharp edges in the holes in the tuning pegs and snapped several strings before I realised the problem wasn't duff strings :mad:

I bought red strings (Aquila) (low G) from a well known Merchant in the US. 3 broke, which I reported to the Merchant who did not replace them, but Mimmo contacted me, and asked me for the batch number (probably to cross check the recipe for that batch). He replaced them all without me paying a cent. I think that's decent! (of Mimmo) I now have a red string on a Baritone tuned GCEA, it has been on there for approx. 18 months and has not shown any wear. Unfortunately I do not remember the batch number, but me thinks Mimmo has adjusted the recipe.

I'd be interested to know where the strings break, at the bridge, the nut, the tuning peg or just "anywhere".

I've had the reds break at the peghed, the nut, the saddle and once randomly in the middle. My kinnard seems to break at the peghed or at the knot in the saddle most often which is good because i have gotten good at shortening the string and retying it hahahaha...

I have had this problem pretty widely though, at least three ukes and several purchases of string so i'm almost certain it's not a very old batch or something. Again, i'm not knocking the strings because they are really my fav type, just looking for an alternate...

Last edited:
There is always Aquila Nylguts. I know Nylguts went in and out of fashion yet they are still my go to strings. Temperamental when you first fit them but when they settle they are very powerful strings.

Anthony

Interesting, i've never tried them. Can you describe the symptoms of "temperamental"

There is always Aquila Nylguts. I know Nylguts went in and out of fashion yet they are still my go to strings. Temperamental when you first fit them but when they settle they are very powerful strings.

Anthony

Interesting, i've never tried them. Can you describe the symptoms of "temperamental"

Temperamental means they take a long time to settle down and stay in tune. Actually, Reds are a little temperamental in that way too. The Nylguts have a wound 4th string of course(for low G) but I'm perfectly happy with the sound of a wound string.

Anthony

I find the Southcoast MU-NW medium gauge strings to be quite a bright and crisp string.

Last edited:
The low G red needs to come with a warning that they will not work with a Risa stick. I blew out two of them after taking time to loosen and stretch them slowly. They both just snapped halfway between the tuner and the bar the strings go around before sitting on the bridge.

Free replacements I don't need but fair warning to any Risa stick owners (non conventional bridge/tuner design) should be standard. I now have a rentrant set on my Risa and my KA-SEM. I strung my old Harmony soprano with standard Aquila strings thinking the reds would be a little too bright on an already thin banjo sounding uke. I almost hate the way the normal Aquila strings feel now.

~peace~

This is my first post. I haven't really looked to see if there was a more appropriate place but it about the REDs. I usually use Worth strings and have been quite happy. I replaced the Worth clear strings on my K'Aloha with brown because my club said the browns are better for rhythm. (I am picking more because rhythm is too hard with ADD) Well, I bought an Mark Neal banjolele (I hate banjos an the associated music but I love to play what I think I am good at. This city gal has an identity crisis!) I love my banjolele. My plan was to put on clear Worth strings to enhance the banjo- part of -lele. I just bought Worth strings (they don't fit) and Aquila Red. I have strung the Reds on my Banjolele and notice these strings have a matt finish compared to the shinny surface of the Worth strings. The Worth strings are tight and the Aquila Reds are very spongy. I know they are new but they are very spongy with a brush velvet finish on the string. I was wondering if this is the cause of the breakage. Maybe I am just not use to it but I like the Worth feel and Worths bright crisp sound.

What I am concern about: are the strings are defective. Breakage is a problem but I just don't like the feel of these strings. Should I give it sometime or return it to Strings and Beyond. If spongy with a brush velvet finish is wrong I want to return it right away.

Cheers,
Valkat

Kala soprano: POS (dead)
Kohala concert: POS from Costco (surprising OK) still works
Lanaika Zebra concert: mid-price or high low-end, POS from eBay new with lots of fillers, never again, head get in the way of playing.
KoAloha soprano: high end affordable I spend 400 a week on groceries for a family of four. Everyone diet for two weeks and get a KoALOHA love it.
Mark Neal Banjolele concert: their is no way to justify a second high-end instrument except of you can but season tickets for the lakers when you have cable I can buy a banjolele.

Last edited:
I was just rereading this thread, thinking that maybe the Reds would be a good choice for the Risa Stick since they've got a softer attack. Thanks for this warning. Maybe Living Water or Worth Brown Low-G...

The low G red needs to come with a warning that they will not work with a Risa stick. I blew out two of them after taking time to loosen and stretch them slowly. They both just snapped halfway between the tuner and the bar the strings go around before sitting on the bridge.

Free replacements I don't need but fair warning to any Risa stick owners (non conventional bridge/tuner design) should be standard. I now have a rentrant set on my Risa and my KA-SEM. I strung my old Harmony soprano with standard Aquila strings thinking the reds would be a little too bright on an already thin banjo sounding uke. I almost hate the way the normal Aquila strings feel now.

~peace~

are the strings are defective. Breakage is a problem but I just don't like the feel of these strings. Should I give it sometime or return it to Strings and Beyond. If spongy with a brush velvet finish is wrong I want to return it right away.

The Aquila reds do feel different, but they are completely different material to Worth browns - or anything else much?.

I had a low G Aquila red that gave no trouble and I liked the feel, thus encouraged I have fitted a set of reds to my tenor. Here's hoping.

I was just rereading this thread, thinking that maybe the Reds would be a good choice for the Risa Stick since they've got a softer attack. Thanks for this warning. Maybe Living Water or Worth Brown Low-G...

The only issue I had was with the Low G string. The reentrant G on the Risa and the set on my KA-SEM I have had zero issues with. Its the design of the Risa stick I feel the slot the string rides in over the bar to the tuners needs to be widened and polished much like a nut slot. I have many projects ahead of me modding the Risa is one of them. I haven't tried another low G as the texture of the red string was just awesome. Both strings snapped between this bar and the tuner in open air.

Otherwise the reds are awesome on the electric ukulele and awesome on my KA-SEM. I'm stringing up 6 ukuleles for my sister and her kids and I'm thinking of stringing them all in reentrant sets of reds.

I've just said it in another thread that I do not understand the exclusivity of some Aquila strings due to country (Iuke strings) or forum loyalty (LAVA blacks). If the Aquila rep reads this you are losing money, my money at least by not having all strings available.

After UAS comes string sickness after all.

Last edited:
What I am concern about: are the strings are defective. Breakage is a problem but I just don't like the feel of these strings. Should I give it sometime or return it to Strings and Beyond. If spongy with a brush velvet finish is wrong I want to return it right away.

Aquila reds are new tech when it comes to ukulele strings. As such you can see there were growing pains with a bad batch in the early phases or a redesign of the formulation. So unless you bought really old strings you should be fine.

Velvety yes I have said papery myself. Mine took a week or more to settle and hold tune now I can play it for a week before tweaking the tuning at all. At first the feel of the string was odd now after playing on them for awhile they are my favorite string and Aquila white strings just feel wrong now. They are under $6 USD through strings by mail so any money lost should you not like them is minimal eh? Give up that chocolate latte for a day or two. ;)

~peace~

Last edited:
I'd like to confirm what Inksplosive AL has said and add the following...

I've had a few REDS snap on me, DESPITE very closely following all the directions from Mimmo,

AND smoothing out the nut slots,

AND smoothing the zero fret on my tenor Fluke with micromesh 4000 grit to remove any burrs,

AND even also using a Q-tip to add some vaseline petroleum jelly in front of, and inside the grooves of the nut slots,

only to later have them pop at the string slot that goes into the saddle, that is...

UNTIL
I started using an 'Ashley's Stopper Knot' (seen on the Mya Moe web site) instead of an double-overhand knot, but alas, a fresh set of REDS seem to have high enough tension to snap anyway, so I TUNED DOWN from re-entrant G-C-E-A to F-Bb-D-G, and lo and behold, 3 months now, with an hr of daily play and the strings have not snapped.

Happy side effect is that tuning down a step, there is significantly greater sustain. I have all my tenors now tuned down to F-Bb-D-G...

As far as alternatives, of the 25 or so different strings sets I have tried, I've come to prefer the Oasis bright high-G sets for the fluorocarbon type, and for the following reasons:

- Better/balanced tension and sound to my ear than the Martin M600 type

- Lower cost for 2 sets of strings than Worth Clears, at VERY similar, feel and tone in 63" length that you can cut down for 2 sets for tenor

- Tone/feel/tension very close to Living Water tenor and concert sets, but again, 2 sets of Oasis are cheaper (~$10) than Living Waters from Uke Republic for ~$12 for a SINGLE set

When you have more than 10 ukes to restring over time, you start to become concerned about the pricing.

So far, my personal ranking is:

1. Aquila REDS tuned down as per above for certain tenors
  2. Oasis bright high G for certain tenors
  3. Worth Browns with Fremont Soloist low-g on baritone for a sweet warm tone
  4. Fremont Blacklines MEDIUM tension on concert Flea, as Aquila REDS were starting to chew up the plastic fretboard

All of the above may change over time, as once upon a time, I was in love with Worth Browns on all my ukes, but once I grew out my nails enough to make a difference (and it made a BIG positive difference to me), the strings ALL sounded VERY different to my ear.

Without fingernails, it's as if you are only getting about 70% of the possible tonal energy of the strings, and with fingernails, you can get better articulation and 'attack' for single notes when finger-picking, that is simply not available to you when you play with fleshy fingertips. So this may be something to consider with all the advice you might receive in this thread.

Also, maybe it's just me, but I've found that the more you PLAY the Aquila REDS, and up the fretboard, the 'papery' feel and slight scratchiness from your fretting hand decreases over time, as the strings seem to develop a smoother surface from continued use, almost a shiny, or sheen surface - and I am not sure if this is due to friction from callused fingertips, or from skin oils from the fingertips, but it seems like an 'improvement' that comes only from continued use over time.

Maybe many folks have popped a string or two and abandoned the REDS before having enough hours of play time for the string surface to change to become smoother?

In another thread, someone mentioned about wanting to be able to buy SINGLES of the REDS, and this would be awesome, yeah, I know it's 'ONLY' like $6 per set, but if you could buy a single string for $1.50, then you dont have to replace the whole set, or use a single string from a new set, and then that set is incomplete...

Kinda like years ago when I was really into playing my electric guitar every day, which I really liked having an 0.009" for my high E string, I'd always buy 3 or 4 extra 0.009's as singles because that was the string that always snapped, usually long before the rest of the set lost their tone...

Hopefully Mimmo will see these threads and do someting like this for us. :)

Well, there is a lot of activity on this site.

I originally bought two sets of Reds for my $60 Regal mandolin (not a POS). The Worth clear strings were for my banjolele and brown for the uke. Both of them are longneck and guess what? There is not enough string for two longneck. Now the uke strings are ok but I already took the strings off the banjolele. I look at the Mandolin eight strings and the banjolele four strings and thought I could do:

1. Put the old strings back on (raise your hand it you did)
2. Give up that chocolate latte for a day or two and put the Worth clear strings on and make a bracelet with the leftover string.
3. Put the reds on the banjolele; which is what I did.

Aquila Reds are dated May 2014 so they shouldn't have an issue with breakage. I am giving it a try but @$%$# they are weird. I usually like to curl my whiskers but these won't curl. So I trimmed off the excess noticing the ends frayed. It's as if they are made of micro fiber. I can only hope they hold up better the bedsheets.

About the fingernails: You can tell the guitar player because they look like nail biter. Finger-picker only bite one hand! Nail can really rip the strings. If you buff or file your nails it will help strings last longer (don't bite you'll get frayed) I just look at the nails on my hands, one is long and the other are short. Now I going to spend the day looking at peoples hands. (not really) I really like hearing your personal experiences with different strings and what string are better in a given situation. Most of the web store don't recommend (Elderly does). String and beyond needs to work on it's string description but their price, service and fast delivery.

This is day two with Aquila Reds in a few weeks I'll post my experience.

Cheers,
Valkat

Kala soprano: POS (dead)
Kohala concert: POS from Costco (surprising OK) still works
Lanaika Zebra concert: mid-price or high low-end, POS from eBay new with lots of fillers, never again, head get in the way of playing.
KoAloha soprano: high end affordable I spend 400 a week on groceries for a family of four. Everyone diet for two weeks and get a KoALOHA love it.
Mark Neal Banjolele concert: there is no way to justify a second high-end instrument except, of you can buy season tickets for the Laker I can buy a banjolele.

I love the Reds. I had Lo G at first, didn't like it, changed it for hi g, and now I love it even better. The strings remind me of the look and feel of old timey "gut" strings. If this is what Aquila was after, they hit the nail on the head. I have no idea if they sound like them, never having played an ukulele with gut strings.
I wonder if petroleum jelly reacts with the compound that's in Reds? Lots of things don't like petroleum....
I use candle wax in the nut grooves, I play hard, and have never broken a Red. I think I'll stick with them.
Booli, I didn't know that about nails....I keep mine cut short because they hook on the strings and throw off my rhythm....also because I still work in nursing and don't want to poke anyone....

Top Bottom