Alternate to the Aquilla reds

Sorry for all for this to be a bit off-topic to the Aquila REDS, pls don't hate me. :)

Both of them are longneck and guess what? There is not enough string for two longneck.

Worth sells strings in 46" length, as well as 63" length (Oasis are also 63" on all sets). Many of the gauges of the Worth sets overlap, see here (scroll down on this page):

http://worthc.to/english/w_strings.html

Also, Strings and Beyond, Elderly, Hawaii Music Supply, Uke Republic only sells about 6-8 of the 22 varieties of string sets that Worth makes, you might be better off going to Strings By Mail, or Just Strings to see the full product line, which are also cheaper per set than Strings and Beyond.

About the fingernails: ...I just look at the nails on my hands, one is long and the other are short.

Yes, my fretting (left) hand the nails are clipped to the quick and then filed smooth, and my right hand the nails are all within 1mm past the fingertip, and are regularly (like very other day) filed smooth.

Longer than that, real life becomes a problem since I have to use my hands all the time, and it also makes typing on the keyboard and using a iPad feel 'girly' because the nails are first-contact to everything instead of the finger-tip.

I use a 'Czech' glass nail file I got off Amazon for the regular maintenance. If I let them go a week they grow enough that I have to use something with a more aggressive grit as the glass nail file is really for 'polishing' or 'finishing' and takes forever to remove any material, so at that point I am using a finer emery board.

It's been like 6 mos. now since I've had nails on my right hand, and for everything BESIDES uke and guitar it's a PITA, but holy moly! for PLAYING it's a HUGE payoff for me with much greater dynamic control and better for articulating individual strings.

Only one time did I have a nail split on me, down the side edge, and that was because I neglected to keep the nail edge smooth, and it caught on something and basically tore a 2mm wide strip about 1/2-way down the length - NOW I keep them smooth, and they don't snag on anything, and seem to be stronger than when I first started.

I guess I have good genes for strong fingernails, since playing about 1 hr a day does little to wear them down, but if I play on wound strings more (classical/flamenco guitar strumming), the wound strings do wear them down.

I should also note that having longer fingernails makes playing electric bass very problematic unless you adapt your technique to be 'all thumbs' or use the sides of your fingers betw the tip and 1st knuckle to 'brush-pluck' the strings, similar to the right-hand posture of an upright bass player. Roundwound bass strings are evil to fingernails. BAD - VERY BAD :(

...I really like hearing your personal experiences with different strings and what string are better in a given situation.

Back in Feb 2014, fellow UU member Ukulele Eddie started a thread about 'String Changing Obsession', which as of right now has 107 posts and you might find this to be worth your time to read in full:

http://forum.ukuleleunderground.com/showthread.php?93141-It-s-like-UAS-only-worse-SCO

:)

I've got to admit I got the reds because my first cheap ukulele is black and well... red on black.
I was worried about getting them because of reading all the breakage stories, but it's been perfectly fine. Didn't break it stringing up and tuning, and while it took a while to settle in, I think they sound rather lovely. I enjoy the rough texture, but I think they're smoothing out the more I play. I'm sure I also read something about being able to lightly sand them.

Well, sorry to dig this out of the past....
My bragging got me this:
I "broke" my Aquila Red A string. The uke was in the shop for neck work. When I opened the case to examine, the A was popped, broken right at the nut! The luthier swore it was intact when he finished with it. I believe him.
Oops....darn it....now the playing field has leveled, folks....but I'm sticking with them, for now.

If your ukulele was being worked on and you opened a closed case you didn't break the a string.

I remember reading somewhere the maker suggested polishing them with a micro cloth of some sort. They do smooth out a bit from playing as well.

Best alternative i have found to date (for my situation that sound as close to the reds) are worth browns. For the moment that is what i'm using most places in place of the reds.

Thanks Al. Thanks bilten, I've never had worth browns....I think that's next. The reds are just too quiet for me....

As far as low G strings, I have had a lot of trouble with breakage with Aquila reds. They are really sensitive to the way the nut is slotted. You can't necessarily just throw a low G string on an instrument with a nut that is slotted for re-entrant tuning. The low G is just a much fatter string. Breakage at the nut can almost always be addressed by re-slotting and polishing the nut. Also, they just don't put up with a lot of energetic playing.
That being said, Aquila Nylgut wound are the most bulletproof I have found if you're OK with the squeak when you change fingering. If that is an issue, Fremonts are my next choice. The squeakless polished wound (soloist) and the black line flourocarbon are both great choices. The Black Line fluorocarbon are polished and unwound like nylon strings.

I tried the Worth Browns, and I loved them. I don't know what's wrong with me, I tried another unwound Red lo G and I hate it. Replacing it soon with a Freemont wound.

Top Bottom