F > Fdim Trick

Peterjens

Reaction score
I've been struggling with F (2010) to Fdim (1212) transition until I thought what if I form my F chord with middle finger on the E string and ring finger on the G string. Then I pivot on the middle finger to form the Fdim eliminating the finger dance.

Try playing a traditional F then slide your middle finger up to the first fret and add ring finger to the E and little finger to the A.

Try playing a traditional F then slide your middle finger up to the first fret and add ring finger to the E and little finger to the A.
Your tip is similar to how I transition from F > Fm (as in Beyond the Reef). I don't know why I didn't think of that. Thanks for sharing.

Easiest way for me was to learn this was to start with the diminished chord. Index finger on fourth string, ring finger on third string, middle finger on second string, pinkie on first string. Transition to the F major by anchoring the middle finger, lift the others, and move the ring finger to the fourth string. Now just go back and forth between the two chords slowly, holding the neck of the ukulele still with the thumb in back and the middle finger ion string #2 at the first fret.

Last edited:
The chord chart is 1x12 when means you have to deaden the 3rd string or don't pluck it. This gives you the notes F Ab B which is a diminished triad. If you add the D on the 3rd fret with 1212, it's no longer a triad but is still commonly called a diminished chord.

Easiest way for me was to learn this was to start with the diminished chord. Index finger on fourth string, ring finger on third string, middle finger on second string, pinkie on first string. Transition to the F major by anchoring the middle finger, lift the others, and move the ring finger to the fourth string. Now just go back and forth between the two chords slowly, holding the neck of the ukulele still with the thumb in back and the middle finger ion string #2 at the first fret.

This method worked best for me. The song I am trying to learn is "The Nearness of You." A member posted this song sometime ago as a survey and it has become one of my favorite songs. I am using Ukester Brown's song sheet for the chords. The tempo is slow enough for me to make the transitions. I am always thankful for the tips of UU members.

Unconventional but Glen Rose uses it so here goes:
I form the Fdim by making a G7 in the usual fashion (ring finger- 1st string, index finger- 2nd string, middle finger- 3rd string) then simply covering the 4th string with my thumb. It is fast and easy especially going from Fmajor since you just pivot on your index finger. I used my thumb playing guitar and rediscovered it when studying Glen Rose's JAZZ Books.

Last edited:
Unconventional but Glen Rose uses it so here goes: I form the Fdim by making a G7 in the usual fashion (ring finger- 1st string, index finger- 2nd string, middle finger- 3rd string) then simply covering the 4th string with my thumb. It is fast and easy especially going from Fmajor since you just pivot on your index finger. I used my thumb playing guitar and rediscovered it when studying glen Rose.

OP here. You and Glen Rose are my new best friends.

Edit - This technique also helps me out making an F>Fm6 (Beyond the Reef) transition.

Last edited:
I've just got to sit next to one of you guys who can use your thumbs like that! I can't believe it. There is no way my thumb would ever bend around the edge of the neck to depress the string. Maybe if I actually broke it. But otherwise, no way.

It depends which "dim" you're talking about. "Dim" proper is a diminished triad (1x12 or 4542). The diminished seventh chord technically ought to be spelled "dim7", but more commonly you'll see it in charts as just "dim", with "mb5" used for the diminished triad. (1012, as near as I can determine, would be an Fmadd#4/Fmadd#11).
Ubulele what the devil does 'Fmadd#4/Fmadd#11' mean?

Unconventional but Glen Rose uses it so here goes:
I form the Fdim by making a G7 in the usual fashion (ring finger- 1st string, index finger- 2nd string, middle finger- 3rd string) then simply covering the 4th string with my thumb. It is fast and easy especially going from Fmajor since you just pivot on your index finger. I used my thumb playing guitar and rediscovered it when studying Glen Rose's JAZZ Books.

I use my thumb to switch from F to Fm all the time. Also when I'm playing Layla, the chorus wants Dm, Bb, C, Dm, then transitions to the verse with A, C, then C#m7. That C#m7 is 1103 which I struggled with until I fretted the G-string with my thumb. It then helped for the next chord, a G# (which I actually play as G#7, 1323 with my thumb staying on the G string.)

I would take a slightly different approach that I learned from Mr. Bolton, my guitar teacher eons ago when I was a kid. I've never had a problem switching to a diminished 7th chord on a uke since it's like the guitar that I learned from Mr. Bolton.

THINK left hand chord fingers! 4 2 3 1 (just keep repeating that 4, 2, 3, 1 in your mind or out loud, 4, 2, 3, 1, 4, 2, 3, 1). Then place those fingers on the strings:

4th finger = 1st string, 2nd fret
2nd finger = 2nd string, 1st fret
3rd finger = 3rd string, 2nd fret
1st finger = 4th string, 1st fret

[1212]

There are only 4 diminished 7th chords and they repeat so you can move that same chord up the fretboard and it repeats. Very handy for arranging. Just keep thinking 4, 2, 3, 1 and place your fingers on the strings always starting from the 1st string (4th finger) and the fingers just cascade over each other. It becomes automatic very quickly. Then, you don't need any tricks to jump to [1212] because the diminished chord will be emblazoned into your finger muscle memory forever as 4, 2, 3, 1.

cheerio!

Petey

OP here. @Petey. I have tried your version (F>Fdim) a thousand times and my fingers continue to get in their own way. It's not pretty. Making the F chord with middle and ring finger method or using the thumb is more finger-friendly to me at this point in time.
Regards to you and Mr. Bolton.

OP here. @Petey. I have tried your version (F>Fdim) a thousand times and my fingers continue to get in their own way. It's not pretty. Making the F chord with middle and ring finger method or using the thumb is more finger-friendly to me at this point in time.
Regards to you and Mr. Bolton.
It takes some time. Every new technique takes about a month to learn to be somewhat confident. You might want to practice higher up the fretboard since I noticed even my hand gets a bit cramped when making that change so close to the nut and headstock. Take a look at Gerald Ross' swing video. He uses that chord like I do but higher up. That's good chord change practice.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8YafhDexY6I

cheers,

Petey

Top Bottom