Attending a maker's road show

SteveZ

Reaction score
Took my granddaughter (darned good guitarist!) to the local GC last night to see the Taylor Guitar Road Show. As each guitar was demonstrated a very good explanation was given explaining in layman's terms: 1) why the body shape is what it is and what it will do, 2) what the bracing does (and doesn't), 3) why scale lengths are different, 4) what different sounds come from various tone woods, and 5) how to get better performance from acoustic-electrics. Guitars with different tone wood (they had spruce, rosewood, mahogany, koa and walnut instruments with them) were demonstrated, showing how wood selection affects sound outputs.

A couple friends avoided this road show because "it's just guitars, and I'm not interested in guitars". They missed out on a lot of good information, since acoustic instruments have a lot in common when it comes to choosing woods, body shaping and bracing, and several other "DNA" factors. Road shows like this one (and many instrument makers do them) are well worth the hour or two of time.

Glad you got a lot out of it. I had to miss a similar Martin Guitar Roadshow at C.A. House Music here in Parkersburg due to my work schedule.

I did the Martin one when it came locally about a month ago. Honestly, the Taylor was more informative.

Top Bottom