Semi-Acoustic Concert Dilemma

cmwbarrett

Reaction score
I'm looking at buying a new semi-acoustic concert uke. My choices are - the Laka Joe Brown signature Concert fitted with LR Baggs Five O pickups, OR the Kala KA-KCGE-C koa cutaway concert. The Kala comes in at a smidge cheaper and with a decent enough case thrown in. The JB signature would have to be custom fitted, so I wouldn't have a chance to try it amped up before buying. Any advice?

Can't say I've tried either one, so no help there. One thing I will note is that the Joe Brown has a solid mahogany top, while the Kala is all-laminate. The other is that Baggs makes great pickups, while I'm not sure exactly what Kala puts in theirs. But mostly, I wanted to post this video I found when searching. Gotta love Joe Brown!

These are both acoustic electric ukes - acoustic ukes with pickups in them. A semi-hollowbody is basically a chambered solid-bodied uke and usually have pickups in them as they'd be too quiet without one.

Kala is the better known brand. Have not heard much of Laka.

However, LR Baggs pickups would be a lot higher quality than the generic pickups that Kala uses.

Top Bottom