Season 137 - Something in the Air

uke4ia

UU VIP
UU VIP
Reaction score
SEASON 137 — Something in the Air

This week's theme is the air, the sky, the atmosphere, this most excellent canopy, this brave o'erhanging firmament, this majestical roof fretted with golden fire! I want songs about the air, the sky, the atmosphere, etc. Songs with the word "air" or "sky" in the title are okay. Songs about flying and clouds are also okay. We've already done rain, birds, outer space, and sunshine, so don't do songs about those.

Rules:

YOU CANNOT PLAY "SOMEWHERE OVER THE RAINBOW" OR "THE RAINBOW CONNECTION".
It's been done.

• The video must be a new video recorded for this contest.

• The video must say that it is for the 137th Season of the Ukulele.

• Multitracking is okay, overdubs are okay. But I'm most interested in seeing you perform a song on the ukulele. I don't want to come away feeling the performance was spliced together from segments that were five seconds long.

• Videos must be posted to this thread. But not before midnight tonight, Hawaiian time. (And remember, Season 136 still has a day to go.)

• The contest ends at midnight Hawaiian time on Sunday night, October 5.

• Doing multiple videos is okay, but will not increase your chances of winning. If your predilection lasts for more than four videos, seek immediate medical help. Or a uke-xorcism.

• On working days, I will only be able to watch videos in the evening, eastern U.S. time. So that will be when I'm commenting on the videos. If we have one of those weeks with over 100 videos, I reserve the right to become overwhelmed and drag my reviews out.

Judging/Prizes:

Three winners will be chosen randomly. Each person who submits an eligible entry will get one entry in the drawing. The prizes will be T-shirts and the like. I will find another option for people who don't like to wear T-shirts.

Come meet me in the sky, I'll be waiting for you
And we can't hear what they say
Up in my air balloon, air balloon, air balloon (HA!)

PLAYLIST

Last edited:
Im a little confused Jim. Is it about stars, planets, clouds and things that fly like planes balloons and birds. Can You clarify just a little bit for me:)

"• Doing multiple videos is okay, but will not increase your chances of winning. If your predilection lasts for more than four videos, seek immediate medical help. Or a uke-xorcism. "

Having a uke-ectomy is right out. Not gonna happen. Mine stays...

Im a little confused Jim. Is it about stars, planets, clouds and things that fly like planes balloons and birds. Can You clarify just a little bit for me:)

It's about the part between the outer space and the ground. I'm trying to avoid songs about things that already had a theme, like birds, outer space, rain, sunshine... Clouds, planes, balloons are okay. But what it's really about? Take a deep breath. Yeah, feel that? That's the air! That's what it's really about! It's about the sky. It can be about flying, because that's an air pastime. It's about the troposphere. It's about the few miles of atmosphere that are sitting on our heads.

Last edited:
It's about the part between the outer space and the ground. I'm trying to avoid songs about things that already had a theme, like birds, outer space, rain, sunshine... Clouds, planes, balloons are okay. But what it's really about? Take a deep breath. Yeah, feel that?

]

Yes I can feel it coming in the air tonight!

Woohoo, what a fab theme, got my song already and it's NOT what you might think, and I would do it right NOW but I'm going to need Him Indoors for a bit of call and response so it will have to wait until he's back from "bear-hunting".... (earning a few pennies...) I'm looking forward to this Season! Luvverly......

Meet Me in the Middle of the Air is a song by Paul Kelly which he performs without accompaniment usually with 3 or 4 other singers.
His studio version can be seen here.
I really like the song which is heavily based on the 23rd Psalm.
The 23rd Psalm is sort of our family Psalm and we would often say it by rote at family gatherings.

Can't wait to wake up and see Pa's song.

I Think I've beat him to it!! :D Usually see his song as I discover the new season but was up late with a killer cough and caught the season before drifting off and managed to get this done just now :)

Having played it back I've caught one wrong lyric and one bad chord but for a first take, in this condition, I'm happy - reckon the sore throat added to the mood :}

Edit: Hahaa! I didn't, cracking vocal effect on that Pa, couldda done with that for my entry!
If I meet you in the middle of the air would you lend me that mic? :) Great job

Last edited:
Managed to get another one in, despite my throat :) Gunna go get some breakfast now though! Aha.
Love this song, never tried playing it before, beautiful little chord sequence - gunna have to add it to my regular rotation I think!

Having read back on the first page, I now think this entry is gunna be null and void as it's not in the troposphere..
I remembered the "Golden in the sky" line and went for it loving this lesser known P!atD song but if people're particular I imagine the garden with the green umbrella trees where the Sun met the Moon might be in space :(

Hope you enjoy either way but if DQ I'll stick on the island :)

It's a gorgeous day here in Pompey so I thought I'd do a quick one-take reading-off-the-chord-sheet take of this. Doubtless somebody else will do a much better job of it later in the week.

It's actually weird Jim, I was listening to an album last night and a song came on that I thought I'd like to play for the seasons. Fits this theme perfectly. Since looked at the tab and it's not gonna happen unfortunately.

I'm very early this week and this is honestly a one-take wonder after a few quick rehearsals - need Long-Suffering-Husband Martin on board and I knew he wouldn't suffer endless takes.... he had the essential glass of red in hand! (It's Sunday lunch-time here and he's cooking! It's a LOVELY George Formby number, so joyful and light-hearted and I hope you like it, and our effort... for a fantastic live performance check out 17 year old Lewis Clifton at Chester GFS just a month ago..

Anyway, here's mine - "It's In The Air" 1938

Here's the U.S. Air Force song.
Many of you know how proud I am of being an Air Force kid, and this song made me choke up when I was practicing it.

Top Bottom