No bending process of uke body sideboards

WAGAS

Reaction score
We cut horizontally a 60mm thick solid wood by a traditional bandsaw following a paper pattern/drawing to make/design the sides of the uke.
With this process, we make several cuts/sides from biggest to smallest sizes allowable to make a body of a uke. Therefore, we can cut any design for the uke body workable by a traditional bandsaw.

And finally, we believe that we preserved the quality and much of the characteristics of the wood, hence, producing the best quality of sound of our ukes.

https://www.facebook.com/WagasUkuleles

I don't know, those look a little fruity to me... ;) Very cool looking instruments, love to hear one and learn more about the construction methods used.

I don't know, those look a little fruity to me... ;) Very cool looking instruments, love to hear one and learn more about the construction methods used.

Thank you. With our no-bending process, I managed to create more designs of uke body. Since I am in the wooden souvenir industry for 15 years, I made the uke as a souvenir/decor/gift item and at the same time introducing the ukulele. With this strategy, more and more people learned to love the mighty uke. As I have explained in another post, our no-bending process is our humble contribution in the ukulele revolution. You find more information about us
at https://www.facebook.com/WagasUkuleles

I'd guess you could save a lot of wood by slicing that block and then bend the slices. And you wouldn't have all that extremely weak end grain going on. But then you wouldn't revolutionize anything and perhaps you'd miss that.

Thanks for your constructive opinion.If I may please,if there is anyone you can mention doing this no-bending process, then this is nothing new, hence, you are right that there is nothing revolutionary.

With this process, there is no resistance by the wood itself. Yes, you may consume bigger volume of wood but you save a lot of time in the construction although we produce several uke sideboards in one block. The concern about the weaker grains of the wood, we have applied some special ingredients to make it super strong. But it is worthy to emphasize that you will have more freedom to making a design for the uke body as much as allowed by the limits of a traditional bandsaw. In fact, we have some unreleased collections with more complex designs which we believe could not be constructed using the traditional method. So , we are now mass producing our ukes while maintaining the standard requirements of its quality.

Last edited:
....Yes, you may consume bigger volume of wood but you save a lot of time in the construction although we produce several uke sideboards in one block....

This is an excellence example of what I dislike about alot of people, and most of the world- the ability to waste natural resources to produce things which don't need to exist and be proud of it.
I congratulate you though on producing fun and enjoyable items over, say, guns, or a more efficient way to FRAK.

Beau, you assume that he's wasting wood, but he says he's a carver by trade and may very well be using his "leftovers" for other purposes. We don't know.

Orville Gibson cut guitar and mandolin sides out of solid wood blocks back in the 1890s, before he sold the company that adopted his name. The new company quickly gave up Orville's technique for conventional bending of sides.

Guns are at least as interesting as ukes, Beau. Not looking for a fight, just sayin'.

I see no prices and no way to place an order. My interest in anything of this sort (novelty uke) isn't very lasting.

The apples cute and maybe an orange to balance it out but I'll likely never see these again.

Good Luck and some unsolicited advice: Be ready to sell something when you announce you are selling something.

~peace~

Double take: I guess you were not announcing they were for sale after all I'm in the luthiers lounge... heh.

Last edited:
Beau, you assume that he's wasting wood, but he says he's a carver by trade and may very well be using his "leftovers" for other purposes. We don't know.

True dat

Orville Gibson cut guitar and mandolin sides out of solid wood blocks back in the 1890s, before he sold the company that adopted his name. The new company quickly gave up Orville's technique for conventional bending of sides.

Guns are at least as interesting as ukes, Beau. Not looking for a fight, just sayin'.

Guns are interesting, as is such things as nuclear fusion and serial killers.

I love going to the local Cabela's and looking at the old guns and the engraving found on them. Beautiful stuff indeed.

... If I may please,if there is anyone you can mention doing this no-bending process, then this is nothing new, hence, you are right that there is nothing revolutionary.
What? I don't follow you. I said that you would not revolutionize anything by slicing and bending as most of us do. I won't google to find someone else doing it your way.

With this process, there is no resistance by the wood itself.
There is no resistance in the wood after you bend it and it's cooled down. Not if you do it properly.

... The concern about the weaker grains of the wood, we have applied some special ingredients to make it super strong.
Cool! Sounds intriguing.

Seriously, I wish you the best of luck.

What? I don't follow you. I said that you would not revolutionize anything by slicing and bending as most of us do. I won't google to find someone else doing it your way.

There is no resistance in the wood after you bend it and it's cooled down. Not if you do it properly.

Cool! Sounds intriguing.

Seriously, I wish you the best of luck.

We maintain the 2mm thickness of the sides using a bench grinder. We use no linings and directly attach them to the sound boards using a water white clear industrial glue. In a matter of minutes, we produce the body. So, we save time thereby saving labor costs.

Importantly, we can apply the no-bending process to any design workable within the limitations of a traditional band saw.

Thanks for your support, and you have inspired us to do more.

This is an excellence example of what I dislike about alot of people, and most of the world- the ability to waste natural resources to produce things which don't need to exist and be proud of it.
I congratulate you though on producing fun and enjoyable items over, say, guns, or a more efficient way to FRAK.

Indeed ,there are no wastes bec we use the smallest parts as decor and/or toy ukes... thanks

I see no prices and no way to place an order. My interest in anything of this sort (novelty uke) isn't very lasting.

The apples cute and maybe an orange to balance it out but I'll likely never see these again.

Good Luck and some unsolicited advice: Be ready to sell something when you announce you are selling something.

~peace~

Double take: I guess you were not announcing they were for sale after all I'm in the luthiers lounge... heh.

The retail price for each uke of our Fruit Salad Collection is $ 70.00 US... thanks

Brochures for reference

2014_fruit salad brochure 2.jpg2014_uke packaging.JPG

~peace~

Last edited:
Personally, not sure your builds are revolutionary here. I think guys like Beau, Chuck, Rick, Ken, Pete, Allen, heck I could go on and on with the builder's here that, to me, have not necessarily revolutionized `ukulele (sorry guys), but have opened a world of techniques to my eyes, that I've stolen a bunch of stuff, from a bunch of them.

Cutting a block of wood into shapes - sorry, I think finding wood that big to do that, I'd rather do it another way.

However, kudo's to you for filling a market in your country that may be needed. Suggestion - Uke Talk. Seriously. I'm sure you'll generate some sales there.

Last edited:
2014_uke nautical collection brochure.jpg
Personally, not sure your builds are revolutionary here. I think guys like Beau, Chuck, Rick, Ken, Pete, Allen, heck I could go on and on with the builder's here that, to me, have not necessarily revolutionized `ukulele (sorry guys), but have opened a world of techniques to my eyes, that I've stolen a bunch of stuff, from a bunch of them.

Cutting a block of wood into shapes - sorry, I think finding wood that big to do that, I'd rather do it another way.

However, kudo's to you for filling a market in your country that may be needed. Suggestion - Uke Talk. Seriously. I'm sure you'll generate some sales there.

Thanks for your opinion on the matter. But I am from a place surrounded by forests, not to mention the super typhoon besetting us last year. We take care of our environment, because it is the source of our happiness like the wood used in building our no-bending ukes. More so, the time spent in the traditional making of ukes is made 10 times or more faster with our no-bending process, hence, more and more people will have access to the mighty uke. Cheers...

By the way, I have uploaded herewith our another collection to demonstrate more about theno-bending process...enjoy!!!

Last edited:
Top Bottom