Secret to sustained sound?

imagesinthewind

Reaction score
Hello!

I have several decent ukes, from concert to baritone.
I'm learning a song, Jake's Music Box from his Grand Ukulele CD, and I'd love to figure out how to sustain a sound from picking a single string.

Help?

Ginny
DENVER

It's a combination of things. Generally the larger body ukes with higher tension strings will give a longer sustain. A lighter build helps a lot too. No offense to your Makai and Rogue instruments but you may have to go up a level or two to approach the sound you're after.

As Jim said, it's a combination of factors including string composition and tension, uke construction/bracing, tonewood, and technique. That's why I always recommend new players to visit Southcoastukes String Guide for the strings piece of the action, perhaps a little easier to understand than uke construction, then there's technique...........discussed at great length here on UU

Electrification and gadgets help....

I have Aquila reds on my KA-SEM and they seem bright and have more sustain than the regular Aquila strings. My 20's-30's Harmony being the lightest ukulele I own rings out like a bell.

I pulled out a concert uke I haven't played in a while and first thing I said was oh this needs a set of Aquila reds. Its a heavy build from Vietnam, I think the reds will liven it up a bit.

~peace~

Playing technique has some effect. Try keeping your fingers in place. Practice listening to the notes for the longest sustain. The uke definitely makes a difference - a solid boy tenor with a thin top and the right bracing will give you more sustain, but playing technique will get the most sustain out of whatever instrument you are playing.

A little vibrato never hurts . Rock your finger, back and forth ...up and down on the fret holding the note after you pluck the string ....also lift the right arm away from the body of the uke.......the forearm will slightly deaden the sustain...........so pick lift away the right arm..Holding firm with the left thumb and finger ....or pick lightly hold with right and scootch finger back and forth on fret......

Best Of Luck ...

Last edited:
Use more open string chord shapes. The more open strings in chord phrasing you use the greater the effect of sustain. Use closed chord phrasing to decrease the sustain; all the strings fretted is a closed phrasing.

Use more open string chord shapes. The more open strings in chord phrasing you use the greater the effect of sustain. Use closed chord phrasing to decrease the sustain; all the strings fretted is a closed phrasing.

I think OP is asking about getting single note sustain. An open chord will ring more, but that is different from a sustained note. John King covers that in his book. You need to keep your finger on the note enough to let it ring but not enough to deaden it and try to hold it until you get the next note.

This is one of those areas though where a thousand dollar plus uke is "worth" it.

Top Bottom