Trying to stop myself... Martin.

Uk3player78

Reaction score
Ex guitar player know the acoustic Martin's but also know the good alternatives. I have one.

Ukulele's i don't. I have had the Ohana SK35 - SK35G and SK38. The SK38 did the job but i sold it as i quit to just guitar. Try finding one now.. Ohana??

I got a Bruko 6 and i love it so my question to get the Martin out of my head, looking at the S1. Does anyone have both? And a youtube account? And the time to do a comparison? Tall ask but a text reply would do.

I have a 160 mile each way trip to try in person which i may plan taking the Bruko with me.

Any help would be much appreciated.

The SK-38 is a Martin replica, so that should have given you a pretty good idea of if you would like the Martin.

I may be wrong but i think the SK38 was based on the Martin style 2. The S1 according to reviews is different. Less vintage sounding. :)

I have a couple of them on my ebay watch list. They are the same or more than the Martin. I missed a vintage Martin 1K for the price of a timms. :p

I wouldn't buy a Martin ukulele without playing one first. There are SO many Martin fans here so I'm likely to get in trouble, Yet, there is a US Mahogany tenor Martin for sale in a shop in my town and while its a nice ukulele, it just doesn't sound special enough for the asking price. I have a theory that it would be better with some new strings, my preference is for Aquila Nylguts but even then, for the asking price I would commission a custom ukulele instead. Martins may be cheaper in your neck of the woods but around here they are expensive.

Anthony

Last edited:
I dig the vintage ones more than the new ones. Honestly, like two completely different universes.

I wouldn't buy a Martin ukulele without playing one first. There are SO many Martin fans here so I'm likely to get in trouble, Yet, there is a US Mahogany tenor Martin for sale in a shop in my town and while its a nice ukulele, it just doesn't sound special enough for the asking price. I have a theory that it would be better with some new strings, my preference is for Aquila Nylguts but even then, for the asking price I would commission a custom ukulele instead. Martins may be cheaper in your neck of the woods but around here they are expensive.

Anthony

I agree with this. I tried a Martin 00028EC in a shop. Hands down the best acoustic i have heard till my current acoustic. Mail ordered the same online at a better price... It was a good Yamaha sound at best. I like Yamaha's but not at that price...

Being an ex guitar player, have you played a tenor uke?

Surprisingly the soprano is my ideal size. Classic sound. I am trying to sell my concert.

Once those Martins get in your head, they don't leave until you buy one, or two, or three. Check out Petey's video on Martin sopranos. He has other Martin reviews on his channel.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KCVRmcvejDc&list=PLalzyawUQI1vbMWiaUmdiyeE2Tn9aVtZA

I own three - 1923 "0", 1949 3M, and a 1963 "0" and I've got an OXK in my head.

Good luck.

I have watched that video soooo many times. There isn't a better comparison on youtube. I would love that collection. :D

Last edited:
Top Bottom