Longneck Love

Kimosabe

Reaction score
I've been playing seriously for eight years now, practicing almost two hours per day. I've learned a lot of sophisticated picking and a lot in terms of classical and jazz uke.

After experimenting with various sizes and basically settling on tenors strung some with high g and some with low g, I recently purchased a longneck Ceniza concert and what a revelation that was, and now I've purchased a longneck Kala soprano and a longneck Ohana concert.

I live both in Honolulu and in the SF Bay Area, so I spread my ukes out.

What a revelation longnecks are! If you like a long neck but also the sound of a concert or a soprano, get one.

Kala makes soprano mahogany and spruce longnecks very inexpensively. I hear that the Gretsch longnecks are decent also.
Ohana makes some great concert and soprano long necks. The Ohana I got is a soprano with a tenor neck. Yes, it looks weird, like a giraffe, but what a joy to play. Check out David Beckingham playing In the Mood on one on youtube.

If you want an even higher quality uke, Kamaka and Koaloha both make longnecks.

It took me eight years to discover them. Check them out if you feel the shorter spacing between frets on concerts and sopranos is too short for you. String tension is firmer on the longnecks and that gives more volume.

I love my Kamaka long-neck concert -- right size, right sound!

I agree with your post and am looking into a Kamaka or Kanile'a ... I like the sound of the instruments ... more or everything ... volume and timbre.

I agree with you, Kimosabe. I sure wish I never sold my tenor-necked soprano KoAloha.

Itsme,

Don't get me wrong. I still love my tenors but long necks have allowed me to love concerts and sopranos.

I love my super-concert. It's the best of both worlds. It took a while to get used to the tenor size neck, but I did it.

Nabbed it, g'est! Thanks so much for the tip off. I was wanting one for a long time (since I, stupidly, sold my last). I salute you!

I just tried a new 7 point Sceptre and I think the tuners are smaller so slightly lighter! I hope you like it!

I own 3! and yes...just a little different...and the sound is really great! I have been playing my HF-3L much more recently. It has soooo much finger room,"...I'm gonna die" [subtle animated movie humor]! I do love the HF-2Ls however hence owning 2...and yes the Gotohs are everything they are chalked up to be...and the weight reduction is noticeable even for a "meathead" [I am a larger former football player body type of guy...ounces are usually not discernable to folk like me]...and yes there is a noticeable difference between my concerts. enjoy!

Last edited:
I own 3! and yes...just a little different...and the sound is really great! I have been playing my HF-3L much more recently. It has soooo much finger room,"...I'm gonna die" [subtle animated movie humor]! I do love the HF-2Ls however hence owning 2...and yes the Gotohs are everything they are chalked up to be...and the weight reduction is noticeable even for a "meathead" [I am a larger former football player body type of guy...ounces are usually not discernable to folk like me]...and yes there is a noticeable difference between my concerts. enjoy!

Yes Gotoh make a big difference!! I didn't want to buy another one so I sent it back to Kamaka and they are plugging the holes and refinishing the uke...should look like new when I get it back!

Nabbed it, g'est! Thanks so much for the tip off. I was wanting one for a long time (since I, stupidly, sold my last). I salute you!

Well, so much for that. I put that ukulele in my shopping cart a half dozen times, and each time, I cannot log into my Paypal account, even though I can log into my Paypal account when I open it's own tab. The Paypal link is broken on that site. Ugh! I sent an email to KoAloha today at 3PM, which is only like 10AM their time, and no reply. Oh, well. If it's meant to be, one of them will reply (doubtful). If someone else nabs it, fine with me--it was not meant to be. If they email me, then guess it was meant to be. lol

Top Bottom