The Rundown on Blue Star (aka Bluestar) Electric Ukes

13down

Reaction score
Blue Star electric ukes are great and underrated. They seem too good to be true but they're not.

Here is the custom-made baritone that I got from them (really "him" because it's just one guy, Bruce).
IMG_1607.jpg
IMG_1633.jpg
It's everything that you'd hope for from a steel-string electric uke.

There's a concept that's often referred to as the project management triangle, and it goes like this: Nothing can be fast, cheap, and good, but everything can be two of those things without being the other. For instance, you can have fast and cheap, but it won't be good, and you can have good and cheap, but it won't be fast. And so on.

In any case, I can summarize Bruce and the operation he runs at Blue Star by saying this: His instruments are cheap and good, and, as a result, they are not fast. That is literally the only tradeoff that you make. It's a tradeoff that I had an easy time making, and I imagine others will have an easy time making it, too.

Come to think of it, he wasn't even that slow. Once we had settled on a design (I had some impractical ideas that he talked me out of), it really only took about five weeks. Maybe even less.

If anybody has any questions about Blue Star and Bruce, ask away!

Last edited:
That bari has some "character." Let's hear it sometime.

Thanks, Phil! I'll record it soon. Thinking I'll even do an unplugged demo.

A couple other guys here have them and love them - Jim Hanks & iamesperambient

Hey cool, another BSG convert! :cool: I missed the original post. Welcome to the fold!

As you can tell from my post, I went with a short scale (19") instead of long but also some custom touches in the form of a tone knob and pickup splitter so it can be either humbucking or single coil. That is one of the great things about Bruce is that he is willing and eager to small (or large) design changes for reasonable cost.

Top Bottom