Playing with sleeves

Bookworm

Reaction score
I use a uke leash, which still requires me to support the body of the uke. Normally that's not a problem, but when I try to play while wearing long sleeves, the uke slips. Any ideas on making it easier to play with sleeves? Some friends and I discussed going caroling once it gets closer to Christmas time, so I'll want to be able to play in a big coat. Maybe something I can wrap around my sleeve?

To some extent, the fabric determines the amount of "slippage" you will have with long sleeves. I have a number of long and short sleeve T's made from the new sta-dri type fine knit polyester fabrics. I can still remember when I wore the long sleeve shirt to one of my uke meetups. Had a heck of a time hanging on to the uke. I would imagine fabrics would range from 100% cotton, perhaps linen, (least slippery) to 100% synthetics (most slippery). When using a strap, I use a traditional strap with strap buttons on the few ukes I have that has them. Problem solved. Other than that, I'd suggest getting some of the elastic bandages they use on your arm when you have blood drawn, etc. They are available at pharmacies mostly, but are starting to get used for other things as well and come in various widths and colors. Perhaps you could get an "inconspicuous" color that wouldn't be that noticeable over your coat sleeve. In theory, that should work as well as anything your could get.

I use a uke leash, which still requires me to support the body of the uke. Normally that's not a problem, but when I try to play while wearing long sleeves, the uke slips. Any ideas on making it easier to play with sleeves? Some friends and I discussed going caroling once it gets closer to Christmas time, so I'll want to be able to play in a big coat. Maybe something I can wrap around my sleeve?

Try playing .....with your arm off the uke altogether.....bend your wrist a little more ....strumming is reasonably easy because you can push the uke back into your tummy/chest with your fretting hand ....if you want to fingerpick then apply light pressure with your little finger as an anchor ....(you may not approve of anchoring ...but we cannot have everything can we :iwant:LOL) this leaves thumb and 123 free to pick ....but practise it first ...without a coat and then when you are happy ...with a coat ....strap your arm too tight you could end up with cramps , fuzzy fingers and a restricted motion......just a thought .......I use the "no arm method" to increase the volume ....try it you may like it....

Roll up your sleeve when playing?

Scooter

I can't play anything smaller then a tenor with a sleeved shirt, not sure what I am going to do this winter!

Use a uke thong as well. Then you have support for both the neck and the body. Or try the Mobius Strap.
How can you not love an instrument that has a g string on it and you can use a uke thong to play it? ;)

Last edited:
I understand about heavy coats living in Canada, never went caroling with ukes, cool idea. You are stuck with the fabric on your coat maybe a neoprene arm sleeve over top of the coat. The raw neoprene is fairly sticky, not the ones with nylon coatings. Also a square of neoprene between you body and the back of the uke where it contacts you can help. The very best is to install a strap button on the bottom of the uke, uke leash sells attachment kits to rig it "guitar style". You could go with a sound hole strap, uke thong being one of those types of straps.

Rllink -- +1

Bookworm -- are you gonna play a laminate? I would think hard about taking a regular wood ukulele outside to play when it's that cold.

Yeah my first thought was I would not want to take a solid wood out where it's cold enough to wear a heavy coat. My second thought was that the rubber/latex whatever stuff sold as shelf liner and also for under area rugs to keep them in place (I used it in my RV for shelves to keep stuff from sliding around in the cupboards) is light and flexible and you used to be able to get it in black. It looks like fat rubber screening and comes in rolls of various lengths. I also used to use it in my F-150 over the center console so my dog could get through to the back seat without slipping. Not sure how would be best to use it out when caroling, possibly a piece draped over one's arm or stuck to one's coat, but it would also work for slippery ukes played at home when sitting down, just put a piece over one's thigh under the bottom of the uke...

What I found that worked for me were the Mobius strap or a two-point strap. The more secure is the latter, though that means you need to put a button on the bottom. I would be careful of putting something rubbery on your sleeve until you test it to see if it does icky things to the finish of an instrument. There are folks who can stand and play a tenor without any kind of strap and more power to them, but I'm not in their company.

I stick a little square of Velcro to the back of my ukes. It provides a a bit of friction between the ukes & your clothes & helps reduce slipping. I also nestle the ukes in the crook of my right arm which I find helps support it.

I stick a little square of Velcro to the back of my ukes. It provides a a bit of friction between the ukes & your clothes & helps reduce slipping. I also nestle the ukes in the crook of my right arm which I find helps support it.

I like this solution. Consider both velcro hooks and pads with a light adhesive backing on both. Take your uke on a stroll to the mall to see how well it actually works.

There is another potential problem here. cold hands and fingers. There is a solution: Shooters Gloves or Shooters Mittens. Both consist of gloves with no fingers. The mittens have a pouch you can slip over your fingers. The only drawback is both types have thumbs. To solve this use woolen mittens. Any friend who is a competent knitter can remove the thumbs and edge the hole. I use these myself and it sometimes snows when we go caroling. caveat: I have used my shooters mittens with a banjo not a uke and my wife is a competent knitter.

I don't intend to play that long in cold weather, I live in Florida....I know, I'm ornery.
Seriously, I'd like to find an armrest made of cloth or leather, because the edge of the lower bought hurts my arm after finger picking for a while. This would solve any slippage. Anyone know where to find that?

Top Bottom