Any recommendation for tuning pegs?

lumlumlo

Reaction score
I got an uke from an antique store. And the tuning pegs were replace at a local music store but the uke is always off tune. I don't know if it is because my uke is too old (made before 1968) or the tuning pegs are bad quality.

Any suggestions? Should I buy better ones? I attached pictures of my uke and the pegs.Photo on 10-6-14 at 7.48 PM #2.jpgPhoto on 10-6-14 at 7.48 PM.jpg

Could be the tuning pegs slipping. Do they feel loose when tuning it? If it has new strings it takes a while for them to stop stretching and "take a set", if they are old try a new set. Could also be something else wrong with the uke itself. The age of the uke in itself should not be causing that problem.

Last edited:
I took my old friction pegs apart by removing the screw and cleaned them. I learned how to do this from the internet. I can't remember where. My friction pegs are over 50 yrs old and now work fine. Tuning a uke does take practice. I uke a snark. My old Martin has wooden violin pegs. They work as well as anything...

My preference is to work with the old tuners a while before replacing them. After that, go to Stewmack and by some new ones.

Two things could be causing a problem. Did you have the strings replaced? Some strings stretch for days, often going out of tune in seconds after tuning. Also, the tuners sometimes need "tightened." You said they were replaced. With what? Hopefully Grovers. Perhaps they are settling in. Carefully tighten that little Phillips head screw in the tuning peg, just a tiny bit at a time, and see if it stops slipping. If they aren't Grovers, they are extremely low end tuners as evidenced by the plastic spacer. Even Grover's lowest price tuning machines have this feature, but have a decent reputation for working well enough. If you end up needing different tuners, research the brand name of your uke on Google images to see what the original tuners look like...they get some as close as you can. Good luck.

Have you read the www.ukeeku.com review of PEGHEDS? They are the look of a friction tuner with the advantages of being a 4:1 ratio geared tuner. There is no lighter weight geared tuner made.

It looks like the pegs doesn't fit that uke head. Because when i turn it, sometimes it is tight but sometimes it gets stuck. Thanks for your reply!

Yeah. The strings and the pegs were replaced at the same time. I noticed that when i play hard on the strings, i can see the pegs moving a little bit. But when i tune the pegs, they are very tight! Thanks for your response!

The pegs should not move when you play. from the pic they look like cheap pegs and it sounds like they don't fit well. loosen the screw on one and see if it wobbles, like the shaft is too smALL for the hole. you can use a drill bit set to find the correct diameter if that is the problem, and then buy a correct set. there are lots of options, from $5 to over $100. but having a good fit is essential with friction pegs.

Grover 4's or the Gotoh equivalent. Don't need anything more. Cheaper than Pegheds, and used by Koaloha on their sopranos.

Top Bottom