Luna Tattoo Concert Uke vs. Oscar Schmidt OU300F Uke

juggleruke

Reaction score
Hello, I am picking out my first uke. I would like to hear your reviews of these two ukes, preferences, likes/dislikes. I have heard the OU300F played in person, but not the Luna tattoo. I would appreciate your candor as I am unsure of quality and comparison of the two. Thank you! I cannot wait to start playing, I want to make the best decision between these two :D

I have a Luna concert. It was my first non-toy ukulele and I think it was a very good one to learn strumming/chords/fingerpicking.

It was bought from and set up by Hawaiian Music Supply (HMS) and that was a big part of why it was a great first ukulele. I love the feel of the neck, the frets were polished, and played perfectly right out of the box. No matter whether you go with the Luna or the Oscar Schmidt, get it set up.

The concert Luna was a good size to start with as well. They come with Aquila Nylguts, which I think are a good choice for a first ukulele - not too hard on the fingertips and they have a good middle-of-the-road tone - you can decide later if you want sweet and mellow or bright and plinky and change out the strings, or stay with the Aquilas.

I chose a solid top/laminate body for my Luna, but a laminate top/laminate body such as the Tattoo has advantages. It can better handle temperature and humidity changes.

As actadh pointed out in your thread in NEW MEMBER INTRODUCTIONS, you are close to Nashville Indiana, (about an hour). You should really take a trip down there and play some solid wood ukuleles at the Mainland Uke shop, then join the gang in June for Ukulele World Congress in Needmore, Brown County just outside of Nashville.

I was just going to suggest a Mainland uke but Doug beat me to it. The Mainlands are incredible and imo far superior to the ones you mentioned, esp. the Luna.

Thanks for the review of the Luna actadh, Ill have to check out this Mainland Uke shop in person. A congress of uke players, sounds like a hoot, definitely worth checking out :)
I am hoping to stay in the $100 dollar range for my first ukulele. Great suggestions, a few more would be most welcome!

Ditto on the Mainland..........he may even have a blem or two, in which case you could save a lot of money.

I despise Oscar Schmidt ukes. Overly built, overly blingy, dead sound.

Luna beat them in my view.

But also agree - ditch both and get a Mainland!

My first uke was a Luna concert Tattoo. I had it a couple of days and took it back. The sound was really good and the feel was comfortable but, the soundboard was really thin or not braced. The bridge actually tilted forward from the tension of the strings. This may have been fine since I believe the top is a laminate but, it bothered me to look at it. There are other members of my ukulele club that have them and like them. I also found out that I like the tenor scale and sound better since it isn't so cramped but, that has nothing to do with the Luna. That was three years ago and they may have addressed this issue now.

Hello, I am picking out my first uke. I would like to hear your reviews of these two ukes, preferences, likes/dislikes. I have heard the OU300F played in person, but not the Luna tattoo. I would appreciate your candor as I am unsure of quality and comparison of the two. Thank you! I cannot wait to start playing, I want to make the best decision between these two :D

There have been 2 Lunas in our family. One was sold to a friend. My daughter has the other. It must be 4 yrs old, and I have no idea what kinda shape it;s in. Not a bad uke.
I don't like OS ukes either. Played a totally dead (RIP) soprano once. Played a koa concert that was some better, but what my friend paid for it was too much. Owned a tenor....for about a week, hated it.
I'd much rather hear you bought the Ohana that's for sale here, or a Mainland....you'll get your money's worth that wAY.

Forget Oscar Schmidt and Luna. Get an Ohana or a Mainland.

If you like the Oscar Schmidt, I say pick it over the Luna. Always best to buy something you've actually played. And, it has been my experience that a good Oscar Schmidt is a very good instrument indeed. I was looking at the same model (OU300F) on the internet. I think it's a real looker, especially for the price. I tried, all around Chicago, (where Oscar Schmidt is based) to find one to play. I couldn't, so I ended up buying another Oscar concert model. I couldn't be happier.

By the way, the OU300F isn't "blingy" at all, and the Mainland concert is about twice the price.

My first uke was a Luna concert Tattoo. I had it a couple of days and took it back. The sound was really good and the feel was comfortable but, the soundboard was really thin or not braced. The bridge actually tilted forward from the tension of the strings. This may have been fine since I believe the top is a laminate but, it bothered me to look at it. There are other members of my ukulele club that have them and like them. I also found out that I like the tenor scale and sound better since it isn't so cramped but, that has nothing to do with the Luna. That was three years ago and they may have addressed this issue now.

Except for the preference for tenor scale this is my story too. I had 2 Luna Tattoo Concerts and they each pulled a belly bad enough to affect the intonation. I can't give them a good rec. Try Mainland Mike or Mim.

Thank you for all of your recommendations! I ended up purchasing an Oscar Schmidt OU5 concert ukulele, I love the koa wood look and the sound is wonderful, great quality too! Let the ukulele adventure begin!!!

Congratulations! My FIRST 'ukulele is an Oscar Schmidt OU2. What I like about them is that it has a lifetime warranty. Enjoy!

Top Bottom