Help with soprano decision

xracer911

Reaction score
Looking for your recommendations on the ukuleles listed below. I would be open to any other sub-$100 ukuleles you may have.
- Lanikai LU-21S
- Kala KA-15S
- Ohana SK-10S
- Makai UK-55
Thanks in advance for your help.

Ohana over Kala over Lanakai over whatever the last one is. :)

I will say that I was pleasantly surprised by the quality of the few Makai ukes I've tried. But really, at the sub-$100 range all of these brands are fine ukes.

:agree: The Makai's are often thinner, and therefore louder and project better than many of their counterparts. Even their lowest priced ukes have a bone nut and saddle. Quality wise, they are on par with the rest. I suggest you look at the solid spruce topped Makai from MIMS for $105. Tough to beat the Ohana though. Personally, I'd keep Lanikai on the bottom of that list. Should be lots of reviews on YouTube for them. Mims and Uke Republic have these and will do great setups. MIM's installs Aquila strings.

Last edited:
Just make sure you buy from somewhere that does a setup. My daughters both have LU-21s bought from Guitar Center several years ago ( before I knew any better ) and I can't play the things - too high action, really bad intonation.

Just make sure you buy from somewhere that does a setup. My daughters both have LU-21s bought from Guitar Center several years ago ( before I knew any better ) and I can't play the things - too high action, really bad intonation.

What Jim said above ...and the Ohana would be my choice FWIW...and God bless you for going Soprano...there does not seem to be too many of us about these days ....I have to own up to two concerts though...one being an Ohana ,which was 60 squids ,Mahogany and plays like a much more expensive machine......These
I use alongside my Omega Zedro sop and Banjo-Uke sop....just for a bit of sound varity ,but the Soprano is my personal favourite size....

Good luck in whichever you choose.

Jarvo (CJ)

I don't have a lot of experience with different brands. I do agree with purchasing it from someone that will setup the instrument for you before you receive it. The setup makes them easier to play. If possible play them before you buy.

Chiming in here... I think I would choose the Ohana as well. If you can get it nicely set up with a decent set of strings you're all set.

Ohana top in my view. Personally have grown really tired of Kala ukes. Sure they are reliable, widely available, and well priced, but its seems to me that those things come at the price of losing character.

I was itching for a soprano. Ordered a yellow Ohana SK-10 from MIM based on this thread. Should have it by the weekend. WOOT!

Ohana top in my view. Personally have grown really tired of Kala ukes. Sure they are reliable, widely available, and well priced, but its seems to me that those things come at the price of losing character.

Agreed, they are a great low- mid range ukulele but there is something about them that for me just isn't right.

Ive played an ohana and i liked the feel of it. and I have heard decent things about makai. That would be my vote.

in the $100 range it might be worth looking around to see if there is an Islander MS-4 out there - that's what I paid for mine and I still think it has one of the most comfortable neck/fingerboards I've ever played.

Top Bottom