2 good quality ukuleles vs 1 high end ukulele

tanawana

Reaction score
I was looking for some thoughts about a new ukulele purchase...

At the moment I own one ukulele, a Kala KA-ATP-CT Cedar top tenor with a 5.0 pickup installed. Unfortunately, it has developed some dead notes that can't be easily fixed. I'm performing on a regular basis and need a replacement.
I do know that I don't want another Kala and Ponos don't do it for me. In addition, there isnt anywhere to try anything out either.

Soooo, I was just going to go with one of the well known higher end $1,000ish models. But, I also wondered about getting 2 lower priced ukuleles instead perhaps. I could have a high and a low G for example. They would have to be of a reliable, good quality though. The only brand I gather that might, just maybe, fit the bill would be Mainland uke's? I want a better sounding and quality instrument to what I already have. Is this even possible and what would I loose out or gain either way you think? Should I just get the higher end one and call it a day? I also have to consider being plugged in when out live also.

Anyhow, just some random thoughts I'm entertaining and I'd be interested in hearing opinions.

Higher end and call it a day.

You want to play low G, swap out the one string occasionally.

Yeah, higher end esp. if you are performing. There is no comparison between a lower end and higher end instrument. Once you've owned and played a higher end for a while, it's tough to go back. It's like owning two VW's vs a Porsche.

Suggest the two-fer approach. However, they don't need to be of equal value. As an example, if the total budget is $1,000, there's nothing wrong with committing $750+ for the higher end instrument and $150+ for a used "backup" instrument. There are always bargain used instruments available, and it never hurts to have that spare instrument for whatever use or alternate tuning.

At the moment I own one ukulele, a Kala KA-ATP-CT Cedar top tenor with a 5.0 pickup installed. Unfortunately, it has developed some dead notes that can't be easily fixed. I'm performing on a regular basis and need a replacement.
I do know that I don't want another Kala and Ponos don't do it for me. In addition, there isnt anywhere to try anything out either.

Soooo, I was just going to go with one of the well known higher end $1,000ish models. But, I also wondered about getting 2 lower priced ukuleles instead perhaps. I could have a high and a low G for example. They would have to be of a reliable, good quality though. The only brand I gather that might, just maybe, fit the bill would be Mainland uke's? I want a better sounding and quality instrument to what I already have. Is this even possible and what would I loose out or gain either way you think? Should I just get the higher end one and call it a day? I also have to consider being plugged in when out live also.

Anyhow, just some random thoughts I'm entertaining and I'd be interested in hearing opinions.

If you buy a higher end Uke now, you can keep it for life or at least get something that retains some resale value for when you want to move into an even higher end or better yet a custom ukuleke. Have you seen Moku Ukuleles out of San Francisco? All solid body and top models, all built incredibly well with fantastically polished frets and great intonation. They are way above lower end quality and sound and you could probably get two new ones for your price.
Mike the opener stands 100% behind his ukes, and he now has semi customs on his facebook page where you can pick out your wood set which is an interesting concept since they are made in Vietnam, but the quality is impressive as well as the sound. I got one for my daughter for her first upgrade from a lower end uke.

Then again most people end up preferring one type over the other (re-entrant v non re-entrant) so if you usually play one over the other, maybe invest in a high quality instrument and change the string if needed. It takes 30 seconds and then you are happy you purchased something of excellent quality, hopefully perfect intonation, and something you will always enjoy playing. There is always time to save and get a second uke, third uke, etc.

Life is short, so buy something that makes you really happy. You can also score nice higher end ukes used. I have purchased many instruments through reputable folks on UU and other places at incredibly great prices. You just have to be patient. Whatever you do, if you are buying new, buy through a reputable person or shop with a good reputation to make sure you are getting an instrument that has been inspected and setup properly.

Happy shopping!

I am curious as these "Dead Notes"....what has /is causing them ....are the fret wires lifting ...neck skewing ...? . All some things that may be a result of the environment in which they are kept ....could be symptomatic of a future problem for future ukeleles if not addressed.

As to entertaining /performing ....well I do not do that so much but if and when I attend ukelele night at Core Music (Hexham UK) I always take two ....one as a
quick change backup if something goes wrong with the main ....like a string snap or worse.....just a thought, Prior Planning and Preparation etc....

...As an example, if the total budget is $1,000, there's nothing wrong with committing $750+ for the higher end instrument and $150+ for a used "backup" instrument. There are always bargain used instruments available, and it never hurts to have that spare instrument for whatever use or alternate tuning.

I guess finding a $750 priced instrument for me was tricky, unless finding it used. There doesnt seem to be alot that i came across in that range. Maye it's me. My budget can go to $1300ish.

I am curious as these "Dead Notes"....what has /is causing them ....are the fret wires lifting ...neck skewing ...? . All some things that may be a result of the environment in which they are kept ....could be symptomatic of a future problem for future ukeleles if not addressed.

Reading my mind here... I can't figure it out and a respected local luthier can't really help, so I'm kinda stuck basically and stumped at the moment. I just take it as bad luck or a lower quality instrument perhaps. And yes, In the back of mind I fear a similar problem on a higher end ukulele. :0)

Thanks for the insights all. A lot of thoughts here echoing my own pretty much. I just wanted to see if I may have been missing a good alternative too.

I'm still puzzled about the "dead notes" problem? Are they always the same notes? Does it happen only when amped? Did the same problem appear when the local luthier handled the instrument? Is the intonation still good? Did changing the strings make anything better, worse or no change? Did the saddle get water, oil or some kind of polish on it recently?

Ceejay is right. The problem may not be the instrument itself, but influenced by environment or operation. Isolating the root cause will determine if spending a lot of money on another instrument may only mean a more expensive repeat.

Until the root cause for the problem with the first instrument is identified, it may be better to go with an inexpensive second instrument to see if a repeat occurs - just in case....

Last edited:
I'm still puzzled about the "dead notes" problem? Are they always the same notes? Does it happen only when amped? Did the same problem appear when the local luthier handled the instrument? Is the intonation still good? Did changing the strings make anything better, worse or no change? Did the saddle get water, oil or some kind of polish on it recently?

It's most prominent on the F# at the 9th fret. Other F#'s in other places react the same, just not as obvious. The F as well gets it so slightly too. Tuning up or down just moved the note. Amping it lessens it somewhat, changing strings doesn't really help, no polish or water etc. Dead note is my term. Could be described somewhat as a wolf note too maybe. When you fret the note it's a thunk with no sustain and a jump in volume. The thing that really helped was the penny and a bit of blue-tac placed on the body in a specific spot. Drawback is a change in overall tone somewhat. Everything else seems normal in the environment though.

Around $1000 seems to be the "magic" number. At that price point you can find a lot of great ukes. Below that price - there are many good ukes, but you get a real jump up in quality at around $1000. It opens up the K brands, or a used Collings or something similar. As others have said if you want to play around with low G get a cheap uke as a second uke. Right now there are a number of islanders going in the $100 range that are very decent ukes. For what its worth I put a low G on the tenor and even though I have several high end ukes I also regularly play the Islander laminated tenor. It has its virtues.

Every now and then a real bargain opens up where you are getting a $1000 range uke for less on the forum. There is currently a new Covered Bridge in the Marketplace for $800. Those ukes are a real bargain; in my view they offer the experience of a high end uke for a lot less money. The one that I have is a very basic uke and it has some signs of the building that are a little unfinished, but I consider that to be character and its a great player. You can probably also find a used Koaloha in that price range.

Regarding the dead notes issue. The indication that the F# tones is a problem leads me to think you may have a fret wear problem. The wear need not be at the particular fret associated with the worst note. It could be at a fret that acts as a harmonic damper. If this makes no sense try playing up the neck with your right hand. At certain locations you will hear a decided drop-off in brilliance.

Tanawana, I have a dilemma just the opposite of yours. I started out with a new Martin IZ Tenor. I obtained it at 60% of list. I expect it will actually grow in value over time. (I may be fooling myself here). I play my instruments hard in less than optimal conditions. Not a good idea for a high-end instrument. I do not buy pre-owned instruments on the internet so as to avoid worn frets or warped necks. I'm looking for a good quality low-end soprano or concert uke for use as a beater uke. What type of budget should I consider for this purpose?

When considering a new low-end purchase on the internet should I ignore the value added bag/tuner come-on packages or add that into my budget calculations. Example: I have a blue "high-end" Snark tuner. I paid $5 more than the red Snark tuner offered so often as part of the value added packages.

Another issue is the Set-up come on. I would expect any new instrument to have basic set-up already. I also expect that a shipped instrument will need some supplementary set-up anyway. When the advertisements claim value added set-up. What monetary value should I assign to this service. Money is not so much the issue for me as is value.

I would choose the one high end uke - you can only play one at a time anyway.

Hahahahahaha....says the woman with an outstanding ukulele. :-D

I totally agree. But I do have to say others will totally disagree. I personally enjoy playing my one ukulele. I agree with Patrick. The tone.....

Regarding the dead notes issue. The indication that the F# tones is a problem leads me to think you may have a fret wear problem. The wear need not be at the particular fret associated with the worst note. It could be at a fret that acts as a harmonic damper. If this makes no sense try playing up the neck with your right hand. At certain locations you will hear a decided drop-off ....

This makes sense. If any fret is dead, that fret may be worn down enough or mounted too deep so that when finger pressure occurs in the space behind the fret, the pressure is insufficient to properly engage the fret because the fret is "too short", causing the deadness. As a result, the fretting finger is acting like a string suppressor dampening the string, since there is no effective fret action occurring in front of the finger. That would explain why some notes are dead and others close-to-death.

Also, since the spacing between frets gets narrower the further up the neck you go, the greater the potential of finger-overlap onto the fret is, causing a slight dampening of that string. So, the bigger the fingers, the more precise the fingering must be as one moves further up the neck. It doesn't take much finger-overlap, especially if a short fret is involved, to deaden a note.

Which brings us back to the involved instrument. A "second opinion" from a different luthier or tech as to fret height/condition beyond the 8th fret may be a reasonable endeavor.

I actually thought about that second opinion...finding another luthier is tricky though. I may have to ship it out or consider a road trip out of town. This is where only one ukulele has its drawbacks, I can't afford to be without one for too long. Another reason I felt its time to put the money down for a new one.

Top Bottom