Favorite Baritone?

Just gave a listen to this one http://www.theukulelesite.com/new-pono-rb-pc-s-baritone-pro-classic-radius-1.html

pretty special.... nice sparkle

I agree, wholeheartedly. That sound sample with Corey snaps. Spruce top eliminates any of the listlessness that plagues some baritones. Also, I love cutaways, especially on bigger instruments, iDavid. Why? There's enough string scale to vibrate even at high frettings. You can, actually, get a great sound from the uppermost frets, so why not be able to access them. That's a fine ukulele (as Sam13 said, from owning its tenor little brother).

Although the TG looks great, and some could argue that it is the best of both worlds (guitar and baritone), others might say it doesn't know what it wants to be and falls in the "gray zone" that is good at neither. If I was going to move to a parlor guitar scale, well, I'd get a parlor guitar and learn to play the two additional low strings--strings that are necessary to truly move that huge, non-uke soundboard.

Personally, one of the main reasons I adore ukes is for their percussive nature--that borne of the short scales. Regardless of tuning, the longer the scale, the less percussive, the less I like it.

Everyone likes something different. I doubt the TG will be popular (will it even continue to be manufactured, based on sales numbers? I don't know) with the uke crowd or the guitar crowd. It's a specialty instrument, certainly. Some adore the search for the right guitar-hybrid-baritone strings, etc. The "science" and uniqueness of the whole thing attracts some. And that's alright. I would hate thinking about those things.

Do review your TG, iDavid. So far, Rakelele, I think, is the only one to have owned and reviewed the TG. His opinion is very respected, and adding yours to the review mix will double the number of online reviews for the uniquely sized instrument. LOL The bright side: if you get one, you and Rakelele will be the undisputed, worldwide experts on TG ukes. :) ;)

Last edited:
Do find the Spruce TG guitar to be overally bright?
Bright - yes, overly bright no, I don't think so - particulary once new strings have "played-in". I still have to try the south coast flatwound set which should add an element of additional warmth.

I would probably order a spruce/rosewood one if I were to order again (but who knows - I might be looking for a different sound by then) - and I have my pono spruce/rosewood baritone coming.

I have a Pono Acacia baritone and I like it a lot. I also play it a lot.:)

I don't know about the Pono TG not being popular. I looked at tenor guitars a long time ago but, since I own three guitars, I figured I didn't need one. I recently went on vacation and found a tenor guitar in a guitar shop. I had never seen one before so, I sat down with a Blueridge and a Gold Tone and had a blast. I walked out with a new tenor guitar. Now I find out that Pono has a tenor with nylon strings so... I just hope they go into production. Nylon strings are a lot more comfortable to play and I like the sound. But, that's just me.:)

I agree, wholeheartedly. That sound sample with Corey snaps. Spruce top eliminates any of the listlessness that plagues some baritones. Also, I love cutaways, especially on bigger instruments, iDavid. Why? There's enough string scale to vibrate even at high frettings. You can, actually, get a great sound from the uppermost frets, so why not be able to access them. That's a fine ukulele (as Sam13 said, from owning its tenor little brother).

Although the TG looks great, and some could argue that it is the best of both worlds (guitar and baritone), others might say it doesn't know what it wants to be and falls in the "gray zone" that is good at neither. If I was going to move to a parlor guitar scale, well, I'd get a parlor guitar and learn to play the two additional low strings--strings that are necessary to truly move that huge, non-uke soundboard.

Personally, one of the main reasons I adore ukes is for their percussive nature--that borne of the short scales. Regardless of tuning, the longer the scale, the less percussive, the less I like it.

Everyone likes something different. I doubt the TG will be popular (will it even continue to be manufactured, based on sales numbers? I don't know) with the uke crowd or the guitar crowd. It's a specialty instrument, certainly. Some adore the search for the right guitar-hybrid-baritone strings, etc. The "science" and uniqueness of the whole thing attracts some. And that's alright. I would hate thinking about those things.

Do review your TG, iDavid. So far, Rakelele, I think, is the only one to have owned and reviewed the TG. His opinion is very respected, and adding yours to the review mix will double the number of online reviews for the uniquely sized instrument. LOL The bright side: if you get one, you and Rakelele will be the undisputed, worldwide experts on TG ukes. :) ;)

I don't know about the Pono TG not being popular. I looked at tenor guitars a long time ago but, since I own three guitars, I figured I didn't need one. I recently went on vacation and found a tenor guitar in a guitar shop. I had never seen one before so, I sat down with a Blueridge and a Gold Tone and had a blast. I walked out with a new tenor guitar. Now I find out that Pono has a tenor with nylon strings so... I just hope they go into production. Nylon strings are a lot more comfortable to play and I like the sound. But, that's just me.:)

I was thinking ... NYLON STRINGS? ... but you bring up a really good point ... it is easier on the fingers ... thanks for the reminder.

Nylon strings and a wider nut than most "standard" steel stringed tenor guitars. So if your coming from uke, you'll feel more at home. I guess you could call it a classical tenor guitar (as analagous to steel string guitar/tenor guitar)

I didn't read all six pages, so whoever praised Giannini of Brazil....I agree! If no one did, that's too bad, because they are a wonderful baritone. I am fortunate to have two.

You people make me think too much.... back on the fence I go..lol

Have you made up your mind, David? You can't go wrong with either one, and there is no redundancy in having them both, in the end.

Have you made up your mind, David? You can't go wrong with either one, and there is no redundancy in having them both, in the end.

I am on the waiting list for the Ha’oi Nui, (Big Baritone/ Tenor Guitar) in Acacia and I look forward to getting it. I can also see getting a standard baritone after a bit. Am I completer sure... of course not.

I've got a few ukes to sell... and a mandolin.

Top Bottom