Which starter Book? Uke for dummies vs. Complete Idiot's guide to playing the uke!

juggleruke

Reaction score
I am between the two books, should I purchase both? I would like to hear your take on these books and how they helped you learn the ukulele. I will be teaching myself, so any suggestions on how best to utilize these books would be most welcome! :D Thank you!!!

Last edited:
I have both, and they both have their good points. I think I prefer Dummies, but Idiots covers some stuff that Dummies doesn't. Baritones for instance. I dunno; I'm glad I have both.

Two are twice as good as one! :eek:ld:

I had one of them, can't remeber which, but I didn't like it so I gave it away. I bought Ukulele Fretboard Roadmaps, andI like it much better.

If only this were true. Bigamy would be the law of the land.

A lot of Moslems and other peoples (Mormons?) would disagree with you. And "bigamy" is lawful in many parts of the world.

Would you rather have two top notch Ukes or one? :eek:ld:

Last edited:
They both may be in your library. I check both of them out to compare. I prefer Ukulele for Dummies. Their web page provides good support. As Dick said, they both have their points. I always recommend the "Dummies" book to beginners as kind of a "Uke Bible." Then I usually recommend a beginner does not buy any additional books until they know exactly which book they want/need and exactly why. Will save you a fortune. People's brains don't all absorb information the same which is why some folks love a certain book and some hate it. Good luck., Too many free lessons/tutorials here on UU and other sites online to go broke buying books.

I second all the stuff on UU. And it's free. And Aldrine is an excellent teacher. I know. Give it a try. It's way fun.

Save your money initially and check out all the free online material on the Internet and UU. Tons of tutorials from various folks that are really good. For beginners you can find everything on line including some excellent chord charts. If you have a printer you can print a lot of information if you like to read it on paper away from your computer.

see what is at your local library. mine had nothing but was able to request Dummies form another local library. I have only read dummies and not the other book so cannot comment on which is better, but i read and practiced through the entire dummies book and didn't feel over challenged with the material. It is great for a beginner!

I had guitar lessons long ago. Taught myself to play the uke by finding tutorials here and on the internet of simple songs I know and like. Write them down or find the tabs and print them. Get 5 and practice them over and over paying attention to your technique. When you get bored find some more that challenge you to learn new chords and strums and keep practicing the old ones. Find a chord chart to show you the fingerings. Try to learn a new song every few days or week and memorize the chords, don't rely on the tabs.

The difference is that, in those faiths, women don't have equal rights. Imagine having two wives who together constantly overrule you—do you relish a life of cleaning gutters? The balance is usually tipped against you with just one wife, do you really want to take your chances with two?? Do you want to be left with the worst third and twice the alimony in the inevitable divorce? Best of luck to you, brother!

But two top-notch ukes for the price of one? Yes, please.

Well, ubulele, I like women, and none since my mother have "overruled" me much so far. My wife is my partner not someone to compete with. I will agree that two might really be a bit much though.

Just Duet! :eek:ld:

Uh... The titles tell you which one is for you. (Think about it.)

By the way, I had to get both.

Uh... The titles tell you which one is for you. (Think about it.)

By the way, I had to get both.

Great last line :biglaugh:

I would need dummies for idiots, if there was one available

had to read subsequent posts as i read BigAmy, as in a screenename here on the uu...and she has a book out better than idiots and dummies....of course read morons in a later post too, so....the ADD is strong in this one. :/ - why i have to reread a few times....

but as por los libros, i have dummies and it is pretty good.
i think the more methods of instruction you can obtain the more chances you'll wind up with techniques that mesh with your learning style.
:)

Thank you everyone! I decided on getting the Ukulele for dummies, and working through it chapter to chapter. My library has the playing ukulele for idiots, so if I need additional material I can find it there.

After two years I decided to start looking at ukulele for dummies (which incidentally I bought 2 years ago and then ignored). My 2nd grader decided to do a teach and tell on ukuleles so that's when I rediscovered the book.

For me I went immediately for Uncle Rod's practice sheets, then started grabbing some tabs from scorpexuke.com and also doctoruke.com. Then I got the first Daily Ukulele book and soon after that the Mel Bay Learn To Play Fingerstyle Solos for Ukulele.

There's two in a marriage... Jejeje By the way, I got ukulele for dummies,
AND, ukulele method book 1 by Hal Leonard both worked for me, the more the merrier...

Last edited:
Top Bottom