Iiwi ukuleles?

I don't think Daniel was trying to make trouble. He's got a good heart. He also has a desire to keep this forum "real" and I think that's cool, but at the same time if your only experience with a brand was a used one that had cracks, then hold back your judgement, publicly and privately. Even personally.

If someone bought a 5 year old Moore Bettah with cracks in the top and based on that instrument made a comment on this forum that they didn't think MB's were as good as people made like they were, I would be offended and others here would be too. Same with Aaron Oya or Beau Hannam etc. Well just because a builder doesn't participate here doesn't mean they should be treated any differently.

That's all. No big deal. Negative comments are fine. But just be fair. When people research a brand and read negative things they take it seriously, whether it's an experienced opinion or not, which is a joke but it's human nature. Anyway ,I'm not mad and I hope everyone understood where I'm coming from and why I spoke up about it.

Aloha Andrew,
You are awesome bruddah...For This ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ :)

I'iwi ukulele review

I have a I'iwi tenor custom ukulele. It's a real beauty, faultless in the making and finish. And the sound? Very warm, lots of resonance. I have a low G on it, but may need to change this from a a wire-wound to a plain because the resonance is too much and the bass is a little overpowering. But that's easily dealt with.

It was expensive, be warned! But heck, no more so than a medium priced guitar, and it's very much a collector's item. It's very light, and the webbed Koa is beautiful. I'll be issuing some additional instruction videos on my website at www.ukuleleoxford.com featuring this instrument. Meanwhile, have a look at what's already there.

Jon Bennett

I have a I'iwi tenor custom ukulele. It's a real beauty, faultless in the making and finish. And the sound? Very warm, lots of resonance. I have a low G on it, but may need to change this from a a wire-wound to a plain because the resonance is too much and the bass is a little overpowering. But that's easily dealt with.

It was expensive, be warned! But heck, no more so than a medium priced guitar, and it's very much a collector's item. It's very light, and the webbed Koa is beautiful. I'll be issuing some additional instruction videos on my website at www.ukuleleoxford.com featuring this instrument. Meanwhile, have a look at what's already there.

Jon Bennett

yes the I'iwi are one of the better sounding Hawaiian made customs around...deep/rich tone and fit and finish very nice.....try a wound C string(maybe Southcoast HML-RW) it should help the overall tone/sound more balanced...imo

Last edited:
I give a big thumbs up for I'iwi ukes. After listening to it online at HMS and loving the sound, I bought a redwood / mahagony tenor from HMS earlier this year. I really love it. Met Corey Fujimoto one time and he played it a bit and he made a comment that it sounded almost like a guitar. This is with wound Low G string, so does give it a real warm full tone. And it is pretty loud. The tone, feel and playability are what really make me a big fan of I'iwi ukes.

I realize that sound and tone are subjective and some dont want a guitar sound in their uke, but I love a deep full warm tone. But I also enjoy other types of sounds/tones too, which is why I also bought different types of ukes. I will have to try some lighter strings on one I'iwi just to see how it works with other types of strings that give a little different sound.

Yes, some may or may not prefer the oil finish, rather than high gloss, and some may not be used to the different look with the 3 sound hole design, but the unique style grew on me and now I really like the unique look. But, more importantly, like Andrew mentioned, Charles builds first and foremost for tone.

Charles said in his video for HMS, he is trying to make that uke that people keep wanting to pick up, due to the feel and connection you get from the uke. And he said when you get serious about ukes, sooner or later, things that were important before may not be as important and a lot of people start to look for tone and playability first. And these are the people that custom instruments are made for. I do keep picking up his/my I'iwi uke and the tone and playability are what I love most about it.

Charles Interview and concert uke played by Corey - https://vimeo.com/120341571

Here is one of the tenors I bought played by Corey - http://www.theukulelesite.com/i-iwi-redwood-top-custom-hawaiian-mahogany-tenor.html

And probably no better endorsement than going out and buying another. So, in another batch that came in, I really liked the sound of a redwood/macassar ebony tenor and bought a second one. Love it just like the first one. I only wish I could make the uke sound a fraction as nice as Corey Fujimoto. And being able to buy them from HMS is always a big additional plus that helps insure a good experience. So, consider me an I'iwi fan.

Last edited:
Top Bottom