Crazy G and more like it

twentytabby

Reaction score
Hi folks,
I've been attempting to learn Crazy G from YouTube videos and it seems to be coming along. I definitely need to practice a lot more and I'm starting to wonder if my uke (bought second hand for $50) was ever set up, but that's another topic.
I've noticed quite a few variations on Crazy G out there and was wondering what your favorite versions were, especially if there are videos of those versions.
Also, I like this style of playing the uke and was wondering what else is similar.

thanks!

Wow, both of those videos leave me speechless!

That child is good!
The cake ukulele is.....
sounds much better than I would have thought.

Last edited:
There is a video I found of a little jazz riff that is very similar and now I can't find it again, so I've been working off the scribbled notes I made about where and when to slide. If I can find that video again, I will post it.

I reckon this is the best one if you actually want to learn it! He breaks it down into sections to learn in easy stages ...... and he did it for a UU Comp!! :)

RP

Thanks!
I was learning off of Ukulele Mike's video, but I think I like this one better.

When I was sliding some G shape chords in this song up the neck of my uke, I found it a lot harder to do than near the nut, which makes me think my action is a bit high. I've been playing up the neck on guitar and banjo for years (with good action) and it's not nearly as hard. But those have much longer necks and steel strings.

I like arpies suggested tutorial vid. Especially since Sharp21 plays out if G.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=gOFbRkEJjhI

Ukulele Mike's tutorial is good too. He is playing in Crazy G out of D. His version uses a barred D chord as its basis. I can relate to his descriptive explanation, in that he says what he's doing musically as well as telling you the chords and how to make them

How to Play a simplified version of "Crazy G" on the ukulele « Ukulele

I will probably learn the song both ways. Sharp21 has a easier to learn/play version. Mike has the movable chords and closed chords angle that is of interest to me. I can see both methods used together as well modulate up a tone each repeat and the crowd will perceive that you are playing faster

Thanks guys - glad you like it - there are so many versions of it around with little 'affectations' here & there - just add the bits that you like best!

A low action would definitely help with all TAB. I think.

Aaron from HMS has a great one on their website too, using different Kamaka Ukes in different sections, to highlight the different sounds!

Kauairainbow also has a brilliant written 'TAB' for it too that is almost the same as Sharp21's - so if you are 'new' to TAB, it is an easy way to learn how to 'follow/read' the TAB at the same time as learning the tune on the uke.

So, print this one off & play it along with the video! :D

http://kauairainbow.com/Ukulele/Crazy G/Crazy G.pdf

cheers

Arpie

Thanks, I hand't seen that one by JakeTeachesUke. I like it.
I may ultimately take my favorite bits from each tutorial and combine them.

Someone tell this newbie who that little boy is, or how old his is. I'm humbled and amazed by him.
I will never again say that "I can't do that chord" again!!
I showed his videos to Hubby and he was blown away too!!!

Top Bottom