High end Pono vs K brands

Barnosauros

Reaction score
Hey folks,
I've been wanting to get a new uke for quite some time now, after having played pretty seriously for 3 years now. I think its time for me to move on to a "serious" uke. So I've heard amazing reviews about Pono and especially their high end pro classic models. So I've been in a slight dilemma lately...

High end Pono or a standard K brand uke? :confused:

When I say standard I mean like the Kamaka HF3 or Koaloha KTM-00, just the standard, non deluxe stuff.
So... which would you choose and why?

Haven't played a K, but do have a Pono Pro classic tenor in the stable. The Pono has a tremendous tone and sings like my tenor guitar, both in volume (comoarative, since one has nylon string and the other has steel strings) and in "richness." An instrument will really have a tough time outshining the PPC.

I would choose a K brand. I know that Pono is a very good brand and you'd be happy with it. Since you have been playing for three years you will appreciate the quality and history of a made in Hawaii K brand ukulele.

I would opt for the K brand - they sound great and have good resale value if you decide you would prefer something else. Plus I am partial to the idea of a Hawaiian made uke.

I think size may also be important. You didn't specify what size you were interested in. I think the overall performance of some ukes decreases as the size decreases. What I mean is that some tenor Pono's are more likely to give a tenor K uke a run for it's money, tone wise. Move down to a concert size, and in my limited experience, the difference becomes increasingly noticeable. Case in point: I had a Kanilea concert for a while (damaged, had to return it). I can still remember playing my Pono MCD-E, laying it down, and picking up the Kanileaj. The superiority of the Kanilea was striking. I'll never forget it. Would also have been the same had it been a Ko'Aloha, Kamaka, etc.

I'm a pretty big Pono fan, myself, if you are talking tenors (Phil's right, size does matter). The finish and beauty of the latest versions put them on par with the Ks, but are more economical. They play impeccably, and offer you visual and functional features, like slotted head stocks and radiused fretboards and cutaways, not available on the Ks at that price. Eddie Vedder and Bruno Mars play and record with, among other brands, Ponos.

The Pono neck is thick, much more so than, for instance, KoAloha. Noticeable in the hand. So, some of it comes down to what feels right for you.

If Hawaiian Koa is important to you, though, Pono is out. No longer are Ponos in Hawaiian Koa except trims. On the other hand, with Pono you can select well-known top woods, like cedar and spruce, that you could not with a baseline K brand, which are typically all Koa.

Tell us where you live. Why? To help you play them for yourself. Some UUers have the ukes you want and would welcome meeting you at a coffee shop to try their ukes. You can and should play them, and, as the three brands that you are considering are popular, any large uke event in your area will have them (maybe even on sale secondhand). A thousand bucks is not inexpensive, by any means--it's two and a half Ipad Minis! At three years playing, you deserve a hands-on selection for such an important choice.

Gluck, B.

Last edited:
Also, it would help if could let us know what's you current ukulele. This way we could bring out the differences between your current ukulele and the one you're going to buy. For example, the neck profile of Pono is a lot different than KoAloha/Kanilea.

I like the Pono Tenors as well as the Hawaiian K-Brands. Koa wood is unique both to look at and to listen to. With the Pono Pro Classic Series, on the other hand, you'll get interesting combinations of tonewoods and beautiful adornments. Or you could get a plain "entry-level" Pono which is made of all solid wood as well, but will cost a lot less.

If you're looking for a smaller sized instrument, I'd go with a K. I think Kanilea offers a really nice Concert that sounds like a Tenor.

Tell us where you live. Why? To help you play them for yourself. Some UUers have the ukes you want and would welcome meeting you at a coffee shop to try their ukes. You can and should play them, and, as the three brands that you are considering are popular, any large uke event in your area will have them (maybe even on sale secondhand). A thousand bucks is not inexpensive, by any means--it's two and a half Ipad Minis! At three years playing, you deserve a hands-on selection for such an important choice.
Gluck, B.

This is the best advise you'll ever get.

I'm a pretty big Pono fan, myself, if you are talking tenors (Phil's right, size does matter). The finish and beauty of the latest versions put them on par with the Ks, but are more economical. They play impeccably, and offer you visual and functional features, like slotted head stocks and radiused fretboards and cutaways, not available on the Ks at that price. Eddie Vedder and Bruno Mars play and record with, among other brands, Ponos.

The Pono neck is thick, much more so than, for instance, KoAloha. Noticeable in the hand. So, some of it comes down to what feels right for you.

If Hawaiian Koa is important to you, though, Pono is out. No longer are Ponos in Hawaiian Koa except trims. On the other hand, with Pono you can select well-known top woods, like cedar and spruce, that you could not with a baseline K brand, which are typically all Koa.

Gluck, B.

What he said. lol

I am a huge Pono fan ... I have owned 5 ukes ... all of them Ponos ... and currently have 3 Pono Pro Classic Tenors. I love the ETSH5 and the RTSH Spruce models the most ... their tone and quality is just fabulous.

Also, something to think about ... is a radius neck important to you? Do you play music with a lot of barring ... then a radius REALLY HELPS ... also, I am 6'5" and have long arms and fingers ... so a radius really helps me when barring jazz chords.

My Pro Classic RTSH Cedar top might be for sale at a good price ... just trying to decide if I want to try the DGBE strings for Tenor ... from Craig Chee ... kind of like my Baritone ... ish ... instrument ... eh? Cookkayaker?

The Pono Pro Classic line, in particular, is pretty hard to beat for value in my experience (which is admittedly limited in time and talent, but I've owned and played quite a few ukes given the shortness of both of those ;-). I've owned three Pro Classics (and the third which I have noted in my signature I ordered before I realized I prefer Concert and Soprano, so never took delivery). That doesn't mean it's the right uke for you, of course. And I'm not just saying this because I have one to sell. ;-)

For many of the K brands, you'll end up fairly well north of the Pono Pro Classic Price point. Of the traditional K brands, if you want to stay around $1k, then I tend to like the KoAloha's because to me they're no frills and all about sound. Very basic looking (boring, I'd say) but they have a jangle that really punches through. I've heard some amazing ukes from the others but generally at a higher price point (say, street price of $1,400+).

If you think you might sell later, keep in mind that used ukes priced below about $800 often move pretty well (if they're reasonably priced, of course) and ukes above $1k tend to move more slowly. This is a generalization, of course, and there are exceptions but this has been my observation over the last 13 or 14 months (and 10 ukes in, most of which I rotated out of). My point here is that if you stay around $1k or less and then decide to re-sell -- or re-home as I like to call it -- then you might get out without completely losing your shorts.

Good luck with your search!

Thanks so much for all your responses guys!

My current uke is the epiphone les paul, which I've had almost since the start of the 3 years. I've contemplated upgrading to slightly more expensive ukes in the past like Mainland ukes or the better Kala ones, but always put it off and decided to just save the money to buy a "really good" one instead. I also have a couple of other ukes and really prefer a tenor as I have pretty long fingers.

I'm not exactly "wood conscious" and don't really need all solid Hawaiian koa, I'm open to trying different wood combinations as long as it has a nice sound. I also don't really know about the radiused fretboard as I haven't had a chance to try the Pro Classics.

I live in Singapore, which is pretty far from most of the uke action so I'm not sure about meeting other UUers. But I have been to the local uke store, Ukulele Movement, multiple times and they do have Ponos, Kamakas and Koalohas. However, they do not have the Pro classic series. I've tried most of the Ks and was pretty blown away by the Koaloha, not so much by the Kamaka. Anyways, I think I would rather order the uke online from somewhere like HMS instead of buying directly from here as it'll be cheaper, even with shipping costs.

Thanks again folks!

I've contemplated upgrading to slightly more expensive ukes in the past like Mainland ukes or the better Kala ones, but always put it off and decided to just save the money to buy a "really good" one instead. YES!

I'm not exactly "wood conscious" and don't really need all solid Hawaiian koa. RIGHT ON!

I've tried most of the Ks and was pretty blown away by the Koaloha, not so much by the Kamaka. ABSOLUTELY AGREE!

Anyways, I think I would rather order the uke online from somewhere like HMS instead of buying directly from here as it'll be cheaper, even with shipping costs. YES!

100% in agreement replies typed above. :)

Phil
You are right, I would hands down buy this Kanilea right now. Good value. Beautiful wood, you already know it will sound great

I would opt for the K brand - they sound great and have good resale value if you decide you would prefer something else. Plus I am partial to the idea of a Hawaiian made uke.

I agree 100%....

KoAloha KTM-00 will be in line with the top of the line Ponos...but the materials in Ponos will be better. The KoAloha is just koa...no slothead...no truss rod...no custom binding...limited abalone/pearl inlays...no cutaway etc.

Volume: KoAloha pretty much greater than most if not all...musubi hole is loud, imho.
Resale value: Kamaka...the classic...the consistent old man of the bunch...I love mine!
Eye Candy: Kanile'a...for the price they have the best looking koa...
Pono: bang for the buck...most custom like stuff...and rich Ko'olau sound...but not Hawaiian.

Pm you =). Just to make a friend. Fellow Singaporean uker.

Top Bottom