Upper-midlevel or better concert uke suggestions?

g'est

Reaction score
Hi!

I'm looking to upgrade my concert ukulele. I've come to the conclusion that concert is my favourite size. :)

I know for sure that I don't want an uke with a wide nut, so at the moment I'm looking at Ponos. They seem great! Is there anything else in that range worth considering?

I don't really have a strict budget and won't rule out getting a K-brand ukulele, but I'd prefer to spend a bit less, if possible. :D I know a lot of people like Mainland, but I live in Europe and Mainlands are a lot more expensive here. I would have to pay less for a Pono.

I really don't have an option to try ukuleles in person so I'm going to order one online from a reputable dealer.

Also, if it's any help I currently own Kala Ka-CE, a Brüko soprano and a KoAloha tenor.

I too prefer concert size. There are many choices, but upper mid-level or better is kind of vague. Do you consider a Pono to be "upper mid-level?"
I have a Pono MCD-E and love it. It's my "workhorse", but it's no Ko'Aloha. In a previous post about Pono's vs K ukes, it was pointed out that as size decreases, the Pono's ability to compete tonally with K ukes kind of diminishes. If you are talking price, Pono's range from mid-level to upper mid-level, and in some cases "or better." I love the cosmetics of some of the pricier Pono's, but wouldn't trade one for a Kanilea K-1. I've seen some amazing new or like new Ko'Aloha and Kanilea concerts (the two "tone monsters") that were priced about the same as the highest priced Pono's. In the end, it has to be about your priorities, and of course budget. Lots of great concerts between the Pono's and the K ukes also.

Thank you for the response.

In your experience, is MCD better for picking or strumming?

Kanileas sound great, but I thought that they have a wide nut and I'd prefer something narrower. I already have a KoAloha (tenor) and you are right about the sound, it's amazing! And it looks gorgeous. However, I'd like a bit of variey so I don't think I want to have two KoAlohas.

Perhaps you might want to take KoAloha's Opio line into consideration? I've read many positive comments about them. Personally, I'd go for a Concert sized Kanilea all over again. I don't even notice it having a wider nut.

A few recommendations for buying in Europe:

http://omegamusic.co.uk/buy/big-island-honu-solid-hawaiian-mango-concert-ukulele-gorgeous
I've heard of some people playing Big Island ukuleles, and they love them - you could give this a try

http://omegamusic.co.uk/buy/martin-all-solid-hawaiian-koa-c1k-concert-ukulele-gig-bag
A lot of people like Martins, and this Koa Martin should serve you well

If price weren't an issue, I would go with the all-cedar MM on HMS or a KoAloha concert.. all the models have similar characteristics, but each size brings a different tone color to the table. If you were to get the longneck soprano from HMS, it would be a good difference to your tenor! I've played a tenor, longneck soprano, and concert from KoAloha, and all of them are so different in how they feel and sound... there should be no hesitation whatsoever in getting more than one KoAloha!
http://www.theukulelesite.com/maui-music-custom-concert-ukulele-all-cedar.html
http://www.theukulelesite.com/koaloha-soprano-longneck-ksm-02-2.html

Also, I don't really recommend buying around here - the prices are so jacked up because of trade and export costs... a Pono from the UK would cost a great deal more than buying from somewhere in the US or HMS...

Edit: I have to second Rakelele's suggestion for the KoAloha Opio - the different wood, despite the same build, makes such a difference in tone color!

Thank you for the response.

In your experience, is MCD better for picking or strumming?

Kanileas sound great, but I thought that they have a wide nut and I'd prefer something narrower. I already have a KoAloha (tenor) and you are right about the sound, it's amazing! And it looks gorgeous. However, I'd like a bit of variey so I don't think I want to have two KoAlohas.
My KPK acacia concert is much heavier, but tonally, it holds it's own with all but the best concerts, depending on strings.

Hard to answer that. I'm not the greatest finger picker in the world (except for picking my nose). I'd say it's a great little "all around" player and not sure I could give it an "edge" one way or the other. I have Ko'olau Alohi strings on it and it's well balanced between brightness and the typical mahogany tone. With the difference in nut width that generally isn't more than 1/8" between ukes, I generally don't notice.

Thank you for all the advice! You guys gave me a lot to think about! :)

(I have thought about a Big Island concert but I think I'd like a standard size concert body. I read bazmaz's review about Big Island Traditional concert and he said that it's noticeably bigger. Although it looks and sounds great!)

I've had quite a few concert ukes and two of them stand out as having phenomenal tone. A Koalana that is a lot like the current Koaloha Opio line and a Kanilea K-1 Deluxe. They are both very different and both sound amazing. The Koalana kind of looks bad - Sapele is a cheap wood and its soft. It has gotten glossy in spots from my playing and the seams are messy. However, this particular one just sounds great - better than the Koaloha I used to have. The Kanilea concert is totally different. Sound is much darker. On the concert size I like the slightly larger spring spacing.

Concert size is funny. I think it's a lot harder to make one that is good the entire length of the neck. The sound gets weak on the higher notes compared to a tenor. I think you sometimes have to raise the action a little higher to get clarity. I've tried concerts from some very respected makers that just don't come close to their tenors.

I had a Pono concert for a while and thought it was very meh. I sold it to a friend of mine who absolutely loves it. My friend is a very good guitar player who dabbles in uke. I would pick the Koaloha Opio over a Pono, no hesitation.

You guys are making me seriously consider getting KoAloha Opio. Or maybe a Concert Pikake. (However neither HMS nor any of their European dealers have any available so I don't where I could get one)

Funny, I used to dislike the looks of KoAloha, but ordered one from HMS anyway. It was an impulse purchase. And it was stunning! :D

I'm actually also considering getting a Martin C1K. This is the absolutely only decent uke I could try and buy in person (A Guitar store not too far has a couple)

p.s. I think that UU is the most helpful and friendly forum I've ever seen! :)

I just switched from a narrow neck to a wide one. !/8 of an inch split between the 4 stings isn't really noticeable to me. The longer neck on a concert over a soprano was more of an issue to me.

For all around good features at a can't beat price, the Eddy Finn compac concertt travel uke is amazing. It is fun to watch people play one for the first time...it is that surprisingly good. It goes head to hear with the Kala. with a trhee year warranty and about half of the price.

You guys are making me seriously consider getting KoAloha Opio. Or maybe a Concert Pikake. (However neither HMS nor any of their European dealers have any available so I don't where I could get one)

Concert sized KoAloha Opio are now back in stock at HMS, and I am sure that they will have the Pikake again soon. By the way: Some people like those original friction tuners, but you might want to consider having HMS change them to Gotoh UPT, which are really worth the extra money, as they make tuning a lot easier.

They also have a couple of beautiful Kanilea Concerts with gorgeous premium Koa right now, and they are less expensive than before. I'd highly recommend one of those to complement the KoAloha Tenor that you have. Good Luck!

They also have a couple of beautiful Kanilea Concerts with gorgeous premium Koa right now, and they are less expensive than before. I'd highly recommend one of those to complement the KoAloha Tenor that you have. Good Luck!

:drool: Kanilea concert, yesssssss! At the top of my wish lists.

Martin C1K can be a great value. I have played several and I have one. It's surprisingly good. Quite different from the Koaloha.

Concert sized KoAloha Opio are now back in stock at HMS, and I am sure that they will have the Pikake again soon. By the way: Some people like those original friction tuners, but you might want to consider having HMS change them to Gotoh UPT, which are really worth the extra money, as they make tuning a lot easier.

Thanks for pointing that out! They were out of stock yesterday.

Also, good call on the Gotoh tuners, I was thinking the same thing!

Martin C1K can be a great value. I have played several and I have one. It's surprisingly good. Quite different from the Koaloha.

Different would be ok. Also, I checked, the guitar store should have about 4 of them in stock so I could go and pick the best one.

Picking out an instrument over the internet is tough, Sometimes I think I should fly to Hawaii just so I could go to a decent ukulele store and try them all! :D

I am contemplating the purchase of a mid-level Concert Uke. My ears informed me on initial shopping trip that they like the sound of acacia or koa construction. I have played the Lanikai CKC and the Luna HTC KOA both these instruments had 35mm wide nut and Aquila strings. I liked the sound and couldn't distinguish much difference. I am also considering the mainland cedar uke but haven't found one to play.

I played about 6 different ukes on this foray. The ear test tells me I am considering Ukuleles in the +-$260 price range. (I am in the central PA market). The Mainland fits in price wise.

Many of you think highly of the Martin C1K. I would expect to be able to purchase one for ~$375. I will get to try one out when I go home to Nazareth for Thanksgiving. I am not in the market for a Martin right now.(I hasten to add I am very happy with my Martin 1T IZ).

I know the Luna and Lanikai are Indonesian made. I Don't know where the Mainland is made. I am fairly certain the Martin is made in Mexico. A luthier is a luthier the world around; so pricing differentials based on local labor rates can skew perceived quality. Am I looking at apples when I consider the Martin with the other cited ukes or apples and oranges?

Both the Luna and Lanikai were represented by the salesperson to be Koa. The salesperson also indicated to me that a Tenor was a Concert Uke:p. Does anyone know If Koa or another Acacia wood, (maybe one that grows in Indonesia), is used in these brands? Does anyone know if we are looking at laminated or solid Koa for these instruments?

My purchasing decision will probably be based on what my ears tell me; but I'm interested in the other factors anyway.

I appreciate your comments and incites in these matters.

The C1K is a great uke. Not just for the price. However, they are variable not all of them are equal.

Hi, I'll put in another vote for the Kanilea K1C. If it is any help, I measured the string spacing at 1 1/8" (28.6 mm or close).
The neck is thinner front to back than other brands. 11/16" (17.5 mm) at the second fret. That feels really nice to me.
It is my favorite concert and maybe my favorite overall.
Just my 2 cents.

Bill

Top Bottom