Mahogany or Koa?

gyosh

UU VIP
UU VIP
Reaction score
Is there a definitive way to test/verify if a soundboard is mahogany or Koa?

I recently purchased a Taylor GS Mini Mahogany topped guitar ::guitar?gasp:: and pretty much to a man, everyone thinks I received a Koa top instead of mahogany. I was extremely doubtful but after checking it against several koa instruments I could go either way. It has that three dimensional look like my Kamaka but I find it hard to believe Taylor would make that type of mistake.

Just trying to satisfy my curiosity.

Thank you for your help,

-Gary

If you could check the specific gravity or density of the material that would be definitive. Hardly practical on a new Taylor though. what color is your sound board. Generally Mahogany is a darker colored wood similar to Cherry Wood. Koa is a lighter colored wood and looks more like maple. Taylor has color chips on their website.

http://www.taylorguitars.com/guitars/acoustic/woods

If you could check the specific gravity or density of the material that would be definitive.

Probably not. The SG of Acacia Koa and Honduran mahogany are too similar, in the neighborhood of around .60 for either. (The range for either specie can be between .45 and close to .70 though.) And while mahoganies generally are a medium brown in hue, koa on the other hand can be a very pale blonde, a dark chocolate color, or anything in between. Good close up photos would help with identification. I'd look at the cell structure.

image.jpg

Here's a pic just below the saddle.

The darker stripes have a reddish hue.

I'm no expert, but I have two koa ukuleles and a few mohagany ones and this looks much more like mahogany to me.
Pretty wood either way!

I initially thought Mahogany but all the guitar people got in my head.

Dumb guitar people!;)

Dumber guitar owner :)

I initially thought Mahogany but all the guitar people got in my head.

Dumb guitar people!;)

Dumber guitar owner :)

I don't blame you for being confused-- we tend to think of mahogany as being a "plain" wood, and that mahogany has some attractive figure to it. Sounds like you got a pretty guitar!

I'm no expert but my initial impression is that its a plain, un figured Acacia/Koa. I can understand why people are confused. I have a ukulele with ribbon Mahogany but its different again to the picture.

Anthony

Sapele

I'll be seeing you in July. Rooms booked and looking for airfare. ��

Sapele is also in the Mahogany family....maybe they just used a nicer set for the top....

the Ko'Aloha Opio Ukes made with Sapele.. some of them looks kind of like your Taylor top....if Chucks thinks it is Mahogany I would go with that...he has all kinds of Koa to compare with.....

see you in July....

gyosh,

if all goes well, I'll be with a group from Seattle (STRUM - Seattle's Totally-Relaxed Ukulele Musicians)
who will be attending the Ukulele Festival Hawaii (2015), from Ewa Beach!

Please plan on spending the day with us at the HMS Kanikapila Tent that Andrew K is graciously making available for all of us UUers to use... just like last Summer. It was the place to be :)

Any and every UUer is welcome to come and join us there. If anyone wants to participate with Roy Sakuma's 'Senior' group, called the Strummers, please PM me in May or June and I will give you a heads up re: how to qualify to become a temporary member of the Strummers to participate at the Festival and receive a Medallion as a neat souvenir! :)

So, gyosh, looking forward to seeing you again. Hopefully, mmstan will be able to join us for the day :)

keep uke'in',

Top Bottom