smart chord app

xylaria

Reaction score
Smart chord is an free app I use that has quite frankly revolutionised my playing. It covers pretty much any instrument with a fret board and strings. I use a custom setting on the 4 string banjo for my tenor guitar, the uke setting of course and I reset the cigarbox to tune my baritone.

It gives a tuner for whatever instrument you choose.

It then depending on setting gives a chord dictionary which is optionally massive. Alternatively fingering, wierd tuning not problem. Lost a finger somwhere, there is setting it.

It even does some scales although it is eurocentric ones , they are fun to noodle about with and do free form jamming with.

I have no connection with the company. The app is free, it is not full of ads, its doesn't fill your cache memory with junk and doesn't ask for permission for silly stuff.

Looks cool. I found the web page, but I can't change the instrument from guitar to uke. I notice a "download" link in the menu. Any tips?

Just tried it out. It has way more features than I bargained for on a free app. Very nice addition. Thanks!

x2 for smartChord.
circle of fifths wheel, transposer, metronome....pretty packed for a free app, and dev is responsive, so hooked up a doni.

Anyone seen a video on how to use the arpeggio function? Or can anyone here make a video explaining it?

I see it. I can read it. I can change the key. I just don't understand what it is for and how to use it!

I use that app, too. For a small fee, you can unlock more functions, most of which I don't use, but could, such as a place to file and organize your music (I use ForScore on the iPad for that). One thing I do use, just to amaze myself, is the magic "what's this chord" function. This app is amazing.

I use a hard copy app called "Ukulele Chord Dictionary" from Alfred by Morton Manus. I have had it since about 2006. As well as the chords, it shows a lot of moveable chords shapes, some basic music theory, a fingerboard chart, some alternate chords and so on, all in a book which fits in a soprano case. It does not need an ISP or batteries or software updates and the chord shapes and fretboard wont change in the next 50 years. I think you can still get it on Amazon for $3.47. ISBN 0-88284-208-0.

LOL Bill you are too funny! :)

While I agree somewhat with the implied perception of the absurdity of 'the gold rush' to make everything an app - there is some merit to having a pocket device that can hold a greater density of information and at much lower carrying weight than a stack of books...

Kindle holds at least 2,000 books and weighs less than a pound, and most smartphones can ALSO do that and tonnes more, with power about equal to a desktop or laptop computer from about 7-8 yrs ago, in your hand or pocket with a battery that can last all day...

In the end, when the internet apocalypse comes, and access to information goes back to how it was in the 1970's, those who have the dead-tree versions of an information repository might be considered as 'wealthy'.

Who knows, the Public Library may experience a surge in popularity ?

I gave away lots of books, but some I will keep forever.

Brother Bill -

You've made some very good points in the above posts, and definitely given some food for thought.

Mahalo ! :)

Top Bottom