sap wood hawaiian koa?

tangimango

Reaction score
Sorry for the newby question. But I remeber that the white part of the koa is called the sap . Ive seen some ukuleles with hints of white sap wood. But is it possible that the entire ukulele be made of the sap wood?

Also ive also read someone say white koa. Is the sap wood of the koa considered white koa If there is such thing?

Love to hear your guys expertise. Mahalos

Usually the sap wood isn't thick enough to make an entire instrument from sap only. I don't mill logs of koa so don't know what white koa is. I have milled black acacia which is a close cousin and grows here in Northern California. I sawed up one tree that was very light in color and it seemed like the sap went all through it.

I ask , because ive seen a set of hawaiian koa soprano set literally 98% white sap and 2% brown. Which ive never seen before. So is this rare or common?

I ask , because ive seen a set of hawaiian koa soprano set literally 98% white sap and 2% brown.

never heard of that. it sounds rather sticky

I believe white koa exist although I've only worked with it once. Many years ago I had a board of koa that was about 2/3 white (Very white, not blonde) that abruptly transitioned to a medium brown. The white area was about 5" to 6" wide and was medium curly. It was not sap wood (which is normally no wider that 1" to 1 1/2" wide) and which is softer and can be a bit punky (the bugs love sapwood) and is best used as an accent IMO. I've never seen any since. I wish I could get my hands on more, it was gorgeous. At the time I didn't realize how rare it was. :(

wow thank you Chuck, you almost answered the question as if this is the same set you've had many years ago. its actatly as you described. Very White not yellow blonde and has a really small transition to part light brown. this also is a medium curl. I went back to the place to take pictures of whatever was left. and after inspecting there was $1000 and serial number written small in pen ink on side set. No joke, really $1000.. would it really have cost that much back in the day like 5-10 years ago? its like I found some kind of wooden treasure :)

I believe white koa exist although I've only worked with it once. Many years ago I had a board of koa that was about 2/3 white (Very white, not blonde) that abruptly transitioned to a medium brown. The white area was about 5" to 6" wide and was medium curly. It was not sap wood (which is normally no wider that 1" to 1 1/2" wide) and which is softer and can be a bit punky (the bugs love sapwood) and is best used as an accent IMO. I've never seen any since. I wish I could get my hands on more, it was gorgeous. At the time I didn't realize how rare it was. :(

Last edited:
I hate to be pedantic, but the pale wood in the picture running down the center is not sapwood, but heartwood. Those pale parts we like in the center are old growth heartwood. The sapwood is the stuff on the outside. Just saying.

Sorry for the newby question. But I remeber that the white part of the koa is called the sap . Ive seen some ukuleles with hints of white sap wood. But is it possible that the entire ukulele be made of the sap wood?

Also ive also read someone say white koa. Is the sap wood of the koa considered white koa If there is such thing?

Love to hear your guys expertise. Mahalos

Koa does indeed come in white. We had one this past winter that Joe Souza (Kanile`a) cut open..... it was not what he was looking for but you never know with Koa until you open up the log. I see Koa from almost black to almost white.
The more I know about this wood the more amazing it is.

I hate to be pedantic, but the pale wood in the picture running down the center is not sapwood, but heartwood. Those pale parts we like in the center are old growth heartwood. The sapwood is the stuff on the outside. Just saying.

Is it? I thought sapwood was the narrow band on the outer edge of the tree and heartwood formed the vast majority of the trees width, usually the dark wood. maybe it's different with Koa.

Top Bottom