Song Help Request Shine - Dallas String Band. Chord Progression

D.Jackson

Reaction score
Hey guys, got the single string melody figured out, but can't figure out the chord progression. Looking for the chord progression in the key of C, but I can can convert it to C from whatever key someone might have it in. I've tried searching the web and in all my usual haunts, but I can't find it anywhere, and it's really got me stumped. Any help truly appreciated.

Are you talking about the 1924 song by Cecil Mack and Lew Brown? If so, I have the original sheet music scanned to PDF, as well as some variations in some vintage song books. Let me know if you want it.

I'm not sure if that's the same song or not. The song I'm referring to was initially published in 1910 by R.C. McPheron(or McPherson... Not sure) and Ford Dabney, two Tin Pan Alley songwriters. It's has been recorded by a slew of different artists over the years. I believe the original title was "That's Why They Call Me Shine". Notable versions are on YouTube by Louis Armstrong and Django Rhinehardt. The Dallas String Band version has a very different intro and the lyrics are quite a bit different, but the chord structure of the song seems to be about the same. I have actually figured out a chord progression since my original post that seems to more or less work. However, I would of course be interested in seeing what you have too! I'll pm you with my email.

Top Bottom