Kamaka spruce tops

ukenubie

Reaction score
Anybody had a chance to play a Kamaka spruce top in person? I'm curious as to how it stacks up against the koa. I'm assuming it's more bright and clear? More sustain possibly?

Hmmm, very ambivalent about a Kamaka spruce top. Seems so un-Kamaka like. Perhaps after I've heard one.

Yeah, that's why I was asking about it. Perhaps it stills has a Kamaka-like tone to it? There's plenty of videos online, but it's just so hard to discern tone differences through video.

No need to wonder. They'll be great and probably, hardly different from the koa Kamakas.

I have played many Kamaka ukes with Spruce tops...they are nice but usually they are on a custom(deluxe) model....and kind of expensive...:) hopefully you can play one in person before you buy it...as at that price range many other choices...

the tone almost same as a Koa Kamaka...but that is what I hear,impossible to answer your question on tone....IMO

When I was shopping for my Ohta-San, I was able to try a spruce top Concert Deluxe side by side against a koa Ohta-San. This was at NAMM and conditions were less than ideal, but the only difference I could really discern was that the spruce top seemed a little louder. To me, it didn't seem worth the extra money (plus IMO the koa top is so much prettier!).

Top Bottom