looser tuner when unwinding

saiyr

Reaction score
On my Pono ETSH, my E string tuner (slotted headstock) gives no resistance if I'm tuning downward, but is normal when tuning upwards. The other tuners are fine. How should I fix this? I tried tightening the cog screw but that doesn't do anything that I can tell.

Contact Ko'olau

I don't understand. Does it hold tension? If your string is secure and the problem is only one of "how it feels" it's no problem. But, you should still contact the seller/manufacturer for official input.

I don't understand. Does it hold tension? If your string is secure and the problem is only one of "how it feels" it's no problem. But, you should still contact the seller/manufacturer for official input.

I think it does hold tension, but the strings are new so it's not really staying in tune. I sent an email to HMS to see what they say, thanks guys.

I think it does hold tension, but the strings are new so it's not really staying in tune. I sent an email to HMS to see what they say, thanks guys.

It's normal for strings to stretch out for at least a week, could it be the string is slipping?

Maybe I'm misunderstanding, but nobody has mentioned this yet. You may have heard the saying "Always tune up." Meaning tune up to the desired note by tightening the string, not down by loosening. The tuner may feel loose when tuning down because of friction in the nut slot. This is actually pretty normal and completely avoidable by always tuning "up." If you go up too far, loosen the string down past the desired note and start tightening again.

Top Bottom