140th Season of the Ukulele: What's New Pussycat?

I decided to challenge myself this week. I usually just strum and sing. This week I decided to work on learning some finger picking. And of course Cat Week wouldn't be complete without the Pink Panther theme!:cool:

Matt, Can you use my "The Cat Came Back" as my official vid please.

Heres a little ditty that had to be done:)

Matt, Can you use my "The Cat Came Back" as my official vid please.
Heres a little ditty that had to be done:)
Boy Linda do we ever have the same taste in Cat songs lol! I started working on The Cat Came Back (one I sang to kids for many years) and then you posted it. So I decided to do something different and I've been wracking my brain for another cat song this week. I finally (after 23 takes) got a decent take of this one. You posted yours just minutes later...

Boy Linda do we ever have the same taste in Cat songs lol! I started working on The Cat Came Back (one I sang to kids for many years) and then you posted it. So I decided to do something different and I've been wracking my brain for another cat song this week. I finally (after 23 takes) got a decent take of this one. You posted yours just minutes later...

Myrna, You can take great credit for your fantastic real time Pink Panther. I practiced this last night thinking there was no way Id get it down but today I figured awww what the heck. I might as well put an end to a third search:) We even chose the same tutorial version of Ukulele Mike I think. Too funny!

ANYONE wanting to do a song Ive done this week is more than welcome to. Thats what we do here and I don't mind at all! Im still waiting for Markwo's Sea of Love:)

I only mind when I don't get to it first! Silly like that.:biglaugh:

I very very seriously considered doing this one this week but couldn't quite work out the chording. If anyone else wants a crack at it I think this is the best interpretation of the song on the net. Enjoy:)

The naming of cats

Butchering a cat poem by T. S. Eliot whilst wearing a cat on my head with its price tag still connected.

The naming of cats by T. S. Eliot
The Naming of Cats is a difficult matter,
It isn't just one of your holiday games;
You may think at first I'm as mad as a hatter
When I tell you, a cat must have THREE DIFFERENT NAMES.
First of all, there's the name that the family use daily,
Such as Peter, Augustus, Alonzo or James,
Such as Victor or Jonathan, George or Bill Bailey—
All of them sensible everyday names.
There are fancier names if you think they sound sweeter,
Some for the gentlemen, some for the dames:
Such as Plato, Admetus, Electra, Demeter—
But all of them sensible everyday names.
But I tell you, a cat needs a name that's particular,
A name that's peculiar, and more dignified,
Else how can he keep up his tail perpendicular,
Or spread out his whiskers, or cherish his pride?
Of names of this kind, I can give you a quorum,
Such as Munkustrap, Quaxo, or Coricopat,
Such as Bombalurina, or else Jellylorum-
Names that never belong to more than one cat.
But above and beyond there's still one name left over,
And that is the name that you never will guess;
The name that no human research can discover—
But THE CAT HIMSELF KNOWS, and will never confess.
When you notice a cat in profound meditation,
The reason, I tell you, is always the same:
His mind is engaged in a rapt contemplation
Of the thought, of the thought, of the thought of his name:
His ineffable effable Effanineffable
Deep and inscrutable singular Name. -

Last edited:
CeeJay - Tiger Feet - Mud: I love your moves, CeeJay! Looks like it was a fun project. I too am mystified by the last few bars of magical drumming. I wish I could hear the vocal a bit better, but it was lots of fun.

decaturcomp - Strange Stray Cat - Rolling Stones: This is one of my favorite performances from you, Alan. The vocal is really fantastic, and that bari! I love the driving bass line you're able to get out of the 4th string. This is very strong, indeed.

myrnaukulele - Pink Panther Theme - Henry Mancini: I remember the first instrumental I did for a Season was the first Holiday week, and I had grand designs that it would be the start of me learning a lot more instrumentals. It never came to be, but I was so proud of myself for learning and posting that I think it was still a really significant moment in my uke development. I'm so glad you decided to do this one, Myrna. Pink Panther was one of my favorite cartoons as a kid, and Peter Sellers is a huge inspiration to me as an actor, so this is full of resonance for me. Also, that Boat Paddle sounds great! Nicely done!

lelouden - Pink Panther Theme - Henry Mancini: I love the video composition here. I think the hyperspeed is super fun, but I wouldn't mind hearing you play it at tempo. Nice job.

bigdaddyuker - Tiger - Fabian: Nice groowwwwlll! Fun song choice, and an equally fun delivery. Well done!

Here you go Linda!:) This is part Cat Power, part Phil Phillips and part me if I was really stoned.

So if artists with a feline name are a go, I guess that a fresh We Tigers original song is okay to enter!
Saskia wrote the lyrics and came up with the melody, I figured out some chords to go with it and presto, we've written a song. Sounds easy, but it wasn't actually...

here's A Dream to Live for

This has not been the best of seasoning weeks for me. I was busy at the beginning of the week then I got a touch of the dreaded lergy. Nothing serious, you understand but enough to make me feel like I didn't have much energy to do anything - even play ukulele.

I wasn't even feeling all that inspired, either so in desperation I googled 'cat songs' and found this one from the man in black.

The cat that appears twice in the video is Juno. She's a rescue cat and is scared stiff of me even though I've never laid a finger on her - except once to try and get her to the vet for a checkup. We had to give up in the end, we simply could not get her into the carrier.

She's clearly been abused in the past. I had to sneak up very carefully and grab the photo quickly. For all that she's much better than she was and my wife and daughter can now stroke her but it's slow progress.

This is the only one I'll get done this week as I have recorder group tomorrow and my elder daughter arrives with my granddaughter on Sunday to stay for a few days.

Last edited:
Howdy gang and many thanks Matty for hosting this week, well i finally got round to doing two songs today, and this particular song was not on my search radar, i dug an old song book out and for some reason started playing it, the wife looked puzzling at me saying it didnt sound like the original , but she liked it a lot ( so blame her :eek: ) and then i looked at the title of the song and realised Hey Presto it fitted this weeks theme.

So ladies and gentlefolk i present to you my cover of Mr Elton Johns " Honky Cat"

Last edited:
1 tuff mofo

I could not let this season pass without tossing this into the litterbox.
This will be my fourth poem. This one is Bukowski.

Here's a ridiculous Ukey Dave original. Ridiculous tune and ridiculous lyrics knocked together this afternoon. I fear it may "just" miss out on a grammy though. It took me about half an hour to write (it shows - you have been warned)

Lyrics
I really don’t wanna be too hard on, that hairy pussy in my gar-den
My neighbours nice and he’s called Aaron but I hate his pussy in my gar-den

Yeah

There’s that pussy in my gar-den, I hate that pussy in my gar-den
He stares at me like he’s a hard-un, that goddamn pussy in my gar-den

Yeah

He’s out there shitting in my gar-den, this tabby ain’t gonna get a par-don
I got my bucket and an air-gun, he just ain’t getting out my gar-den

Yeah

I hate that pussy in my gar-den, I hate that pussy in my gar-den,
I hate that pussy in my gar-den, I hate that pussy in my …………..

Last edited:
Top Bottom