140th Season of the Ukulele: What's New Pussycat?

JazzbanjoRex - Year Of The Cat - Al Stewart: Nicely done, Rex. I love that CM7 - Bm7 - G progression. You play it so smoothly, and your vocals are perfect for this. Also -- not sure if that's a different angle or a different room altogether, but I love the new space.

Uke4ia - The Mouse Police Never Sleeps - Jethro Tull: Great song choice! The crunch really works in those solos, which are great. Just as I was lamenting the lack of flute, in came the solo. Your vocals are well restrained here, too -- not fighting with the overdrive. I wish the camera was in better focus, but hey, great job.

koadependent - Lovecats - The Cure: Another song I would have been surprised not to hear. This is a nice arrangement, Brian -- the melody picking is nice, and jumping up into second position is great. Vocals are good too - nice to hear a bit more baritone when we're used to Robert Smith. Well done.

krabbers - Vegetarian Cat Food Blues - Krabbers: Seems fresh to me... is the recording old and just put into a new frame and re-uploaded? Anyway, I loved the end, but had fun the whole way through. Great.

UkeVal - Polka l'Harmonica - Trad.: Beautifully played, and with a special guest star, no less. Glad to have you back around, Val.

Joko - Wild World - Cat Stevens: Some signature Joko style here. You come into those choruses really nicely. And going into the break was great too!. Love the way you stick with it, too! Thanks for bringing this one!

pabrizzer - Nashville Cats - The Lovin' Spoonful: Nice take on this Brian. I really like the banjolele -- the spareness of it makes the song a little better, I think.

barbablanca - The Tyger - Blake/Armstrong: Great! I was filling it out with a full rock kit in my brain. I'd love to hear this electrified, though your acoustic play is really nice here. Well put together, and well sung, too. Do you have the progression written out?

UkeVal - Old Gray Cat - Trad.: I love the way those reels sound on the uke. Beautifully played. And the Glyph sounds wonderful.

UkeVal - Petroushka - Trad.: A lovely song. That Martin sounds wonderful under your confident play. Nice to hear you sing, for once, as well. Well done, indeed.

Not my best, but I'm out of voice and really wanted to do this song...

Uke4ia - The Mouse Police Never Sleeps - Jethro Tull: Great song choice! The crunch really works in those solos, which are great. Just as I was lamenting the lack of flute, in came the solo. Your vocals are well restrained here, too -- not fighting with the overdrive. I wish the camera was in better focus, but hey, great job.

I replaced the chair in the computer room last month. The new chair is black, and the camera doesn't seem to want to focus on it. So sometimes when I play a video back, I find the camera didn't focus on the right place. :mad:

Here's one for you. Just a fun song about a cat....Don't hold it against me :D

Apparently Im feeling better!

This really got to me as I have lost so many creatures over a lifetime. Almost lost my ol' doggie last night. She stopped breathing. Some instinct told me to check on her and before I knew it I was giving her mouth to nose. It took about 10 minutes (but only 2 puffs) to get her to come back around. Seems good today. She's just so old now ): Plus this song reminded me of when I lost my parrot of 20 years recently. I happened to be practicing the song "When She Loved Me" from Toy Story for an open mic. She had suddenly passed on without warning (liver and kidney failure). Two days after was the open mic, I thought, I can do this........no I couldn't, cried right in the middle of the song. Kind of embarassing (; Great job Wendy!
You have three new kittens.

I had an 18-year-old formerly feral leash-walking cat who, toward the end, was blind, ailing, and had lost more than half her weight ... yet loved life, and saved her best adventures for her last few years and months.

She was an amazing kitty ... and this is her story.

So grateful for a second chance to make this video ... I wrote the song for "Pet Sounds" a few weeks back, but hadn't managed to record it.

You can't see it in the thumbnail, but hopefully you can in the video ... I am wearing cat ears.

EDIT: Unless I say otherwise later on, this will be my official entry.

Perhaps this fuzzy cat's brother will make an appearance this week :) This is an outstanding vid! As were so many that Season!

Good one KoaDependent! Real fine take on the song!
But a link isn't enough for the fab Russian Cats vid - It SO belongs in this season.
Yeti&Kira do LoveCats

I replaced the chair in the computer room last month. The new chair is black, and the camera doesn't seem to want to focus on it. So sometimes when I play a video back, I find the camera didn't focus on the right place. :mad:

I sometimes have the same problem in my videos. I totally hear you.

frisbeefred - Cat's In The Cradle - Harry Chapin: Love this song. I grew up with Harry Chapin records playing nearly constantly in the house. I'm so glad you asked if it would be ok to play. More than ok. That Lanikai sounds sweet on the song, and the timbre of your voice is great -- so different than Harry's gravel, but I like the silkiness of yours. The single strums in the last verse are a nice touch.

chrisdeston81 - Everybody Wants To Be A Cat - Disney's The Aristocats: Loved the breathy tone you put on for this, Chris. You make your way through the jazzy progression quite nicely, as well. A good swinging song for the week -- I really want to learn this one, now!

barbablanca - Endangered Species - Berni Armstrong: Great song, Berni. I LOVE the first four lines. I like the way using the pick on the 8 string hardens the strum a bit, matching the tone of the song.

RichM - Cat Scratch Fever - Ted Nugent: Well, this is an amazing arrangement of this tune. I'm glad you fought through illness to bring it. Is that a banjolele or a reso?

lelouden - The Cat Came Back - Fred Penner version: ay! Glad you're feeling better, and glad you brought this one, as this is the song that I've had in my head since coming up with the theme -- although for me, it was the muppets version (sung by Rowlf the dog) that I remembered. I do like that this version uses the Stray Cat Strut progression (or vice versa?) Your smoky vocals sound great on it!

cua94 - Pink Houses - John Cougar Mellencamp: Great song choice -- A little content, a little artist. You're clearly having a good time here, which makes us have a good time. Well done!

RichM - Cat Scratch Fever - Ted Nugent: Well, this is an amazing arrangement of this tune. I'm glad you fought through illness to bring it. Is that a banjolele or a reso?

Thanks, Matty-- it's my Mastro plastic banjo uke. I would have preferred a reso, but I don't have one!

There's been so much reposting of older material (cats are a pretty popular subject!) that I started a separate playlist for posterity.

Littermates.

First- a protip. Read the challenge before recording...number one is over on the Island, and it is my favorite cat song, but does not mention cats at all.
In the last two years, they all have left us. Charlie- 18. Maude- 17. Mouse- 20. Harold-16. Many of you will remember Mouse as we find that our favorite memories of her are those in which she appeared in all our early videos...miss each and every one of them. Protip #2. Do not get a bunch of cats at the same time just because you have a house.
In any event- needed a song that had lots of mentions of cats...but the one I thought of was not "feline" enough in it's delivery. Fortunately the hoards of young folks I work with have given me a new and exciting virus in which my ears have been completely useless for a week or so. Everything I hear sounds like it is coming through water, which rendered my playing of this tune completely un-recognizable.
New plan- plunkie uke in low G...slow it down...add a little Cloverdale- DONE!
Probably won't see you lot for a bit as there is a baseball contest I must attend to this week...but for now

My first solo video for a season.
Soft Kitty - I think it is from The Big Bang Theory.
Sheldon likes to hear it when he's unwell.

My first solo video for a season.
Soft Kitty - I think it is from The Big Bang Theory.
Sheldon likes to hear it when he's unwell.

Good job Charlie! No Pa taking over like he always does.
I actually got Charlie to upload the video and place the post on the forum too.
Well done.
BTW she loves your cat puppet vid Yeti and Kira!

As you can imagine I won't have much chance to do a video this weekend. So I quickly worked this one out. I actually have a traumatic experience with this song. when I was 14 I was in the School Rock Band. As you can imagine with a project run by the school (although the teacher was pretty cool) we didn't rock at all. End of the year we played a three-song set in front of the school. This was one of the songs. It was awful and it took me a year to live down because I couldn't sing it to save my life. Still can't.

I'm off to go visit my son now.

Matty, sounds like you have Three Cool cats

Top Bottom