Help me decide, Kala or Ohana

Uke1989

Reaction score
I've narrowed my concert uke search down to Ohana 50GS solid cedar and solid rosewood or the Kala KA-ACP-CTG solid cedar top and acacia back and sides. Any opinions on which I should choose? I have a Kala soprano and have been happy with it but I hear good things about the Ohana brand.

Thanks for any advice you can offer.

I am a big fan of the cedar/acacia (or koa) combo. I just ordered a cedar/acacia Pono Pro-Classic that I will be receiving on Friday. So, I say Kala.

I totally absolutely love my Kala LaSalle (it's what I call that model you're looking at), and actually have had more than one dream in which I'm walking around strumming it! It's very, VERY good.

I have only seen a few Ohanas and can't provide ANY pro or con remarks on Ohana models.

I'd have to hear them. The Ohana is all solid vs the Kala which has only a solid top but cosmetically, may be more handsome. You can't really lose wither way, have to consider the value to price factor.

I own a Kala and I bought an Ohana as a gift for my mother-in-law. Both are kind of on the low end of the range they carry. My initial impression is that the Ohana gets the nod for build and finish quality. Not that the Kala is poor in any way, but the Ohana seems just a bit better. I think you will be happy with either one. If possible, I also recommend playing them first!

I own two Kalas and two Ohanas. I don't like the soprano Ohana, but then I just don't like sopranos. I am selling it soon. I like the Kalas okay, but I like my Ohana concert much better. Better neck, better sound, better build quality for the same money. The only thing I don't like is the frets are a little rough on the edges, sliding up and down the neck holding a chord is a little tedious. One Kala has a nice neck, the other one feels like a baseball bat to me. I would be happy with either.

Ohana ALL THE WAY. The Ohana is all solid wood and my friends Heidi Swedberg plays/performs the CK-50GS and Daniel Ward plays/performs with the TK-50GS. Plus, Ohana sets up all of their instruments. Here's a video of them performing with them and Ohana setting them up:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CbWtVPA1_tc

Never tried an Ohana, but I have the Kala you speak of and I love it!

I have several Kala's and several Ohanas. Both companies have great ukes at a reasonable price. Each company has a good selection of models and styles to choose from. Just go with the one you crave most. If you can play before you buy, that is best. Each uke has it's own voice, even if they are the same model, so one might suit your taste better. Some neck profiles might suit you better than others, so that is another good reason to try one out first.

–Lori

Captain, I believe you have the tenor version. Have you tried the concert version? If so, what did you think of the tone and volume? Also, does the fact that the back and sides are laminated effect the sound?
Thanks!

Ohana - get it from MIM if you're in the US

I have a Mainland mahogany concert and it is awesome. I heard somewhere they are made in the same Factory as Ohana. There shape definately looks similar. I like the look and the tuner/finish options of the Mainlands better though. I almost bought the Mainland Cedar top rosewood concert. Heard it has really good volume. Worth checking out for sure. Bought mine from The Mainland Ukes website came setup perfect.

Top Bottom