HELP why is it so hard to sing and play at the same time?

Can you whistle? I often whistle till I have the playing part down, then switch to singing.

First step - play.
Second step - hum and play.
Third step - sing and hum and play.
Fourth step - sing and play.

Sometimes it's a matter of familiarity. If you haven't quite got the lyrics down pat, and/or the chords down pat, or the strums, you may be trying to do too many new things at once. A few folks whose brain has a problem in this area find that a metronome helps a lot. Free ones online. Many find playing with others is easier than trying to do it alone. Try this:

http://vimeo.com/42359439 - don't forget to select your tuning, assume C

http://uke4u.com/playalongs/

And this may be fun:

https://www.youtube.com/results?sea....4j1.5.0...0.0...1ac.1.11.youtube.QpX311RdUro

Last edited:
Dont feel bad....I never learned how to sing till I got my uke. Then it took me a YEAR of playing almost every day, before I could sing too. The singing is the hardest part for me....
The brain is doing several things at once....strumming or picking with one hand, chording/fretting with the other, knwoing the lyrics, putting the voice in the right pitch....not to mention keeping track of timing, rythym, etc.
So you are multi tasking. Take it easy....you'll get it!

Try this sing along video. An easy song with just a couple of chords. Use simple down strokes to start with, if you have to. Try just playing it, then just singing it then try both together. You have only got to crack it once to be on your way. There's more of the same free to download on the KaraUkey website. Cheers

Last edited:
Thank you all so much!! I was so exited to find this site ...thanks everyoneeeeeeee! I will def try all of the above !

I honestly have a hard time not singing while I play. If I don't already know the tune I have a dreadful time learning the song on uke. Like Phil said above, try working with songs you already know well. And as with everything, it will come in time :)

Last edited:
Some of the problem is unavoidable. When singing and playing you are using both left and right brain functions. There is a disconnect/time delay between the two. The time delay will self-adjust over time if you keep playing and singing.

I would address the disconnect issue this way: Is your singing or your playing the weak link? If your singing is the weak link don't look at your hands when you play. If your playing is the weak link look at your hands.

Rather than use a metronome learn to tap your foot to keep time. You will need to experiment to see if keeping time with your left foot or right foot works better for you! (clarification: You can use a metronome but not when playing and singing at the same time). Playing and singing along with videos (no chords or words shown), is helpful as well.

Simplify your instrumental accompaniment. No fancy stuff when singing. Take an instrumental break every other verse or so if Yo want to Strut Yo Stuff.

When you get contradictory advice try it both ways. one will work better for you.

It happens very often to strum what you're singing.

If that's your case, I'd quote the previous posts: you have to disconnect the two parts.

It is just like playing the dreaded E chord, you just get mean and make it work. Sometimes things aren't easy.

I had such a hard time with this that I nearly quit uke altogether. I looked in guitar forums and found a lot of advice. What everyone has said here is true - it just takes a lot of practice because you are doing three things at once. This is what I found:

1. You really have to be able to handle the chord changes without thinking. However well you think you have learned them it's not enough. Practice more.
2. Just read the words while you play the chords.
3. Just play one down strum per measure while singing the song.
4. Alternate between 2 & 3 repeatedly. And increase tempo as it gets better.
5. Repeat with two or four strums per measure.
6. While using the desired strumming pattern (ddu ddu or whatever), just try adding in a word or two here or there. As soon as you start to lose the beat stop singing but keep strumming.
7. Repeat, adding, additional words as it gets easier.

The good news is, that once you do this for a few songs it will get easier. It also helps to listen to the song - the phrasing is often more complicated than you might think. You will also start to get a feel for the rythym of your songs - physical movement helps alot.

I had the same issue for a long time, there were a few problems, the first is I really didn't know how to play the songs as well as I thought I did. (even though I thought I practiced more than enough) And part of that is I wasn't really playing it right. Some people particularly those who have played an instrument before have it a little bit easier time than others. I couldn't strum and sing along until after I learned to play the melody of the song. Once I learned the melodies to the point I would play them without even realizing that I was playing or when you are just picking up the uke and start playing melody without any intention or knowledge that you are playing you will be able to talk on the phone and carry on a conversations and not even realize you are playing, and at that point singing will not be an issue. I didn't have to learn play difficult melodies, just basic ones.

This isn't the only way, but it was when I started to notice I could sing and play at the same time.
Now if someone could just tell me how to sing and not sound horrible :)

I have been looking fora plastic uke to play in the tub. :)

T.M.I. ?

Some of the problem is unavoidable. When singing and playing you are using both left and right brain functions. There is a disconnect/time delay between the two.

Singing and playing are both right-brain functions. Speaking is a left-brain function. Witness those who've had a stroke and can no longer speak, but can still sing flawlessly. And, those with a speech impediment (stuttering, etc.) that does not carry over into their singing.

In the OP's case, there is more left-brain activity simply because it is new to him - but that will disappear eventually with familiarity. The right/left delay you mention is indeed present, but is due to the newness of the activity - not to an inherent separation of functions.

I couldn't strum and sing along until after I learned to play the melody of the song. Once I learned the melodies to the point I would play them without even realizing that I was playing or when you are just picking up the uke and start playing melody without any intention or knowledge that you are playing you will be able to talk on the phone and carry on a conversations and not even realize you are playing, and at that point singing will not be an issue.

This is how it works for most people (myself included). Singing will be easy only after you've mastered the song on the instrument, to the point where your mind wanders while you're playing and yet you continue to play without messing up. If the songs are, technique-wise, very simple, then your brain has enough capacity to think about and perform both simultaneously. Otherwise, one has to be on near automatic before you can do the other.

The alternate way is to get the singing down first, then add the instrument - a few people do it this way, but it's essentially the same thing - put one on automatic before doing the other.

Last edited:
Don't recall ever having a problem singing with guitar or uke...but so far...cannot sing while playing the bass!!

Very frustrating...

Top Bottom