G, g5, g7, g11....

chenx2

Reaction score
Hi,

Have just learnt ukulele for 3 months and the experience is wonderful!

I have came across quite a few scores with chords like these:
G, G5, G7, G11....
Wondering what these numbers actually represent, and what is the difference between them.

This is a short question that actually requires a fairly big answer. But to be brief If you take a G chord at 0232 and you add the 7 th note which is an F (GABCDEF) the chord becomes a G7 which is 0212 where the 1 on the second string represents the F note we just added instead of the G note on the 3 rd fret in the normal G chord.

Similarly with a G5 chord we are adding the 5 th note which is a D (GABCD) so the G chord at 0232 becomes 0235 where the 2 on the first string in the original chord (a B note ) becomes a D at the fifth fret.

G chord = 0232 G5 = 0235 G7 = 0212

The G5 is a power chord. Just as adding the fifth a G (CDEFG) to a C chord 0003 makes the C5 power chord at 0033.
I should add, the fifths are power chords because the fifth note was already there so we are adding a second fifth note to the chord giving it that power chord sound.

Last edited:
Thank you for your prompt response! :eek:
I have only known the triads before.
I have also seen chords with add, sus, and dim, etc.
Really excited to explore these new territories of musical chords~
~from East Asia

Last edited:
The numbered chords are difficult to understand because they're shorthand and the interpretation differs according to the particular number.

X5 (e.g., G5) means that the chord consists of only two notes: the root and the 5th (G5 = G and D only). This chord has no third, which makes the difference between major and minor, so the chord is itself neither major nor minor but can substitute for either. That's why it's called a "power chord". The root is usually doubled an octave higher; the 5th can also be doubled in unison or at an octave. The X5 spelling is different from almost every other chord spelling in that it takes away a note (the 3rd) rather than adding new notes or altering existing notes.

X7 (e.g., G7) means that it's a "dominant seventh" chord: a major chord with a minor seventh note added. The minor seventh is not in the scale of X major, rather, it's a whole step below the root. In a G chord, it would be F rather than F#, hence G7 = G, B, D and F. If you used a major 7th instead (F#), it would be a GM7 chord, also spelled Gmaj7 or Gma7.

X6 (e.g., G6) means a major chord with the sixth note added. So G6 is G, B, D and E. (E is the sixth note in the G major scale)

X9, X11 and X13 are like dominant seventh chords (X7) but with more added notes. That means that, in pure form,
X9 has 5 notes: root, 3rd, 5th, minor 7th, 9th.
X11 has 6 notes: root, 3rd, 5th, minor 7th, 9th, 11th.
X13 has 7 notes: root, 3rd, 5th, minor 7th, 9th, 11th, 13th.
Note: the 9th is the same as the 2nd note of the scale, the 11th is the same as the 4th and the 13th is the same as the 6th.

Fortunately, you don't really need all of these notes. On ukulele, you can play only four of them anyway. Which four?
In an X9 chord, you must have the 7th and 9th (2nd).
In an X11 chord, you must have the 7th and 11th (4th).
In an X13 chord, you must have the 7th and 13th (6th).
If you don't have both of these notes, you have a different type of chord.
The next most important note to have is the 3rd, because it tells you whether a chord is major or minor. But it can be omitted in favor of another note.
The least important notes, odd as it may seem, are the root and the fifth, though a chord will usually have one or the other.
In an 11th chord, you seldom will have the 9th, and in the 13th you'll seldom have either the 9th or 11th, unless the chord is particularly dense.

What this means is that there can be several different note combinations for an X9, X11 or X13 chord. To take a simple example, G9 could be:
B, D, F, A = 3rd, 5th, 7th and 9th (no root/G - most common uke form)
G, B, F, A = root, 3rd, 7th, 9th (no 5th)
G, D, F, A = root, 5th, 7th, 9th (no 3rd; can be either major or minor [Gm9])
It would even be possible to play a more "incomplete"/"devolved" form like B, F, A, which has neither root nor 5th. The most often encountered 11th or 13th chords are similar to the above forms, just substituting the 11th or 13th for the 9th.

You'll also see Xadd9, which is different from X9 in that it doesn't have a 7th; it's just a major chord with the 9th (2nd) added. So Gadd9 would be G, B, D, A. Similarly for Xadd11 and Xadd13.

You never write Xadd6 because that's what X6 means. Xadd13 is essentially the same thing.

You can make minor versions of all of these chords (except X5) by putting "m" before the number: Gm6 = G, Bb, D, E; Gm7 = G, Bb, D, F… The "m" doesn't apply to the number, it just makes the 3rd minor (a half-step lower). In other words, "Xm" means the minor triad, and anything after that modifies or extends it.
See, I told you it was a short question that actually requires a fairly big answer. Lol

Ubulele that is the clearest most succinct explanation of how chords are formed that I have ever read. Thank you.

@Ubulele Thank you for your detailed explanation. Actually it makes me want to learn progressions on a keyboard, to better grasp the concept ....one will never get too much of music!

Ubulele that is the clearest most succinct explanation of how chords are formed that I have ever read. Thank you.
I concur with this.

I have to wonder what kind of music a three month student of Ukulele is encountering. Ubulele has shown us how to construct these chords but I am at a loss as to how they are used or what is trying to be accomplished with these chord structures. Especially when you go beyond the Pure forms into the devolved forms.

To render my confusion in a slightly more rational terms:
In an 11th chord, you seldom will have the 9th, and in the 13th you'll seldom have either the 9th or 11th, unless the chord is particularly dense.
Six and seven note chords are not inherently dense chords:confused: Is there anything you may add to lessen my confusion and point me in the direction of enlightenment here?

ubulele wrote :
X5 (e.g., G5) means that the chord consists of only two notes: the root and the 5th (G5 = G and D only). This chord has no third, which makes the difference between major and minor, so the chord is itself neither major nor minor but can substitute for either. That's why it's called a "power chord". The root is usually doubled an octave higher; the 5th can also be doubled in unison or at an octave. The X5 spelling is different from almost every other chord spelling in that it takes away a note (the 3rd) rather than adding new notes or altering existing notes.
Thank you especially for this little gem which answers a question I didn't realise even needed asking !! ... I can now go away and practice "power chords" on all and sundry :cool:

The numbered chords are difficult to understand because they're shorthand and the interpretation differs according to the particular number.

X7 (e.g., G7) means that it's a "dominant seventh" chord: a major chord with a minor seventh note added. The minor seventh is not in the scale of X major, rather, it's a whole step below the root. In a G chord, it would be F rather than F#, hence G7 = G, B, D and F. If you used a major 7th instead (F#), it would be a GM7 chord, also spelled Gmaj7 or Gma7.

X6 (e.g., G6) means a major chord with the sixth note added. So G6 is G, B, D and E. (E is the sixth note in the G major scale)

X9, X11 and X13 are like dominant seventh chords (X7) but with more added notes. That means that, in pure form,
X9 has 5 notes: root, 3rd, 5th, minor 7th, 9th.
X11 has 6 notes: root, 3rd, 5th, minor 7th, 9th, 11th.
X13 has 7 notes: root, 3rd, 5th, minor 7th, 9th, 11th, 13th.
Note: the 9th is the same as the 2nd note of the scale, the 11th is the same as the 4th and the 13th is the same as the 6th.

Fortunately, you don't really need all of these notes. On ukulele, you can play only four of them anyway. Which four?
In an X9 chord, you must have the 7th and 9th (2nd).
In an X11 chord, you must have the 7th and 11th (4th).
In an X13 chord, you must have the 7th and 13th (6th).
If you don't have both of these notes, you have a different type of chord.
The next most important note to have is the 3rd, because it tells you whether a chord is major or minor. But it can be omitted in favor of another note.
The least important notes, odd as it may seem, are the root and the fifth, though a chord will usually have one or the other.

What this means is that there can be several different note combinations for an X9, X11 or X13 chord. To take a simple example, G9 could be:
B, D, F, A = 3rd, 5th, 7th and 9th (no root/G - most common uke form)
G, B, F, A = root, 3rd, 7th, 9th (no 5th)
G, D, F, A = root, 5th, 7th, 9th (no 3rd; can be either major or minor [Gm9])
It would even be possible to play a more "incomplete"/"devolved" form like B, F, A, which has neither root nor 5th. The most often encountered 11th or 13th chords are similar to the above forms, just substituting the 11th or 13th for the 9th.

You'll also see Xadd9, which is different from X9 in that it doesn't have a 7th; it's just a major chord with the 9th (2nd) added. So Gadd9 would be G, B, D, A. Similarly for Xadd11 and Xadd13.

You never write Xadd6 because that's what X6 means. Xadd13 is essentially the same thing.

You can make minor versions of all of these chords (except X5) by putting "m" before the number: Gm6 = G, Bb, D, E; Gm7 = G, Bb, D, F… The "m" doesn't apply to the number, it just makes the 3rd minor (a half-step lower). In other words, "Xm" means the minor triad, and anything after that modifies or extends it.

And the note you just heard, was in fact my head exploding, in Gm7th none the less.

And the note you just heard, was in fact my head exploding, in Gm7th none the less.
My head gave up on even trying to understand it. More of a popcorn fart than an explosion here.

Ma7th, 6th...chords are not good substitutes for Ma chords in simple three or four chord folk songs. They give a jazzier, swingier feel. If you were to play Hey Good Lookin', for instance starting with two beats each of A, AMa7, A6, AMa7...it would make it a swing tune. Bob Wills band might have played it this way, if they ever played it, but Hank would have stayed on A (if he were playing in A).
You will sometimes play a folkier song using these chords, but it will usually be to indicate a moving bass line. When most folks play Jerry Jeff's Mr. Bojangles, they play C, CMa7, C6, C..., but it is usually written C, C/B, C/A, C/G...to indicate the moving bass line. A C with aB note is a CMa7, but C/B gives a better idea of what's required.

Last edited:
Thank you Jim and Ubulele, It is amazing that in as complex a subject as this is you both knew just what I wanted and delivered what I need.:cool: Hey Ubulele what is this "real musician" malarkey? I AM A REAL MUSICIAN, i'm just a mediocre one.

I thought the tune we know as "Home on the Range" went back to about 1897? I don't know If I'd even recognize the original tune.

I use the moving bass line on the banjo whenever there are more than two banjos, all the time. I think I would use a higher line on the Uke though.

Karaukey: I think I see where you're going with the chord progression in your song. It is delightfully evil. It is a shame the lyric is so long though. I play with a community known as the AZZOLES in the warmer weather. It would be perfect for whiskey before breakfast sessiuns we get into. I would never be able to remember the lyrics to sing when we're drinking and jamming.

Last edited:
Karaukey: I think I see where you're going with the chord progression in your song. It is delightfully evil. It is a shame the lyric is so long though. I play with a community known as the AZZOLES in the warmer weather. It would be perfect for whiskey before breakfast sessiuns we get into. I would never be able to remember the lyrics to sing when we're drinking and jamming.
Lol. Me either, that's why I use my iPad

Top Bottom